Lefty Driesell

2018 A10 Champions!
stevelee

Re: Lefty Driesell

Post by stevelee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am

stan wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:39 am
I was hoping that people might want to share Lefty stories. It would be worthwhile to have an archive of them.

Lefty's elevation of the Davidson basketball program is the greatest coaching job in the history of college sports. Only Coach Snyder's tenure as football coach at Kansas State seems worthy of mention in the same breath.
In recent email from Chris:
Please take a moment to share your stories by emailing them to Lefty@davidson.edu. Feel free to include photos or memorabilia that enhance your contribution.The webpage is set to launch later this week, and your participation will play a crucial role in making this tribute a meaningful and comprehensive reflection of Lefty Driesell's time at Davidson.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:01 am

cats10c9 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:50 pm
NPR/AP labeled the photo correctly.

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/17/12322707 ... coach-dies
"I'm just tired and I've got this bad cold and I'm just going to retire," Driesell said.

Classic Lefty. Love it. Lefty was as good a talker as he was a coach, and I really envy MM15 for being able to just sit and listen to the man multiple times over the last 15 or so years.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:05 am

The panel in DPH that included Snyder and Lefty is one of the most entertaining thing I have ever attended.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:05 am

"I'm just tired and I've got this bad cold and I'm just going to retire," Driesell said.

Lefty made that phone call to Tom Lewis, Ga. State VP.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

JerseyLawyer

Post by JerseyLawyer » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:21 pm

From Feinstein's "A Season Inside." He asked many coaches to tell their stories of their worst airplane flight. I'm quoting from memory, but Lefty's was:

"Here ah am, gonna get killed, goin' to see a kid who ain't that good.

"But Moses would've been worth it. Moses was worth dyin' for."

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:15 pm

I have been very lucky, in that I've had a large number of one-on-one conversations with the Lefthander over the last 15 years or so and, importantly, did so as someone who was not one of his players nor was I his employee or employer. With neither of us the boss and no money involved, I had all the fun and almost none of the headaches of others interacting with him.

We replayed a bunch of old Davidson games. His memory for detail was very good, and he was surprisingly willing to laugh it off if called on some small detail. Yes, he actually would say, "Well I don't know, you know..." if it was time for him to back off a disagreement over some trivial fact (that probably wasn't essential to his point -- my bad). There were also previews of Wildcat conference tournament games, talk about Currys, and his desire to get former players into one HoF or another. It was easy to say at that late stage, but he often said he loved Davidson.

He stopped calling a few months after going into assisted living. I think he wasn't built for that, though I'm in no position to call into question the circumstances that required it.

Some of our conversations don't match up exactly with some facts asserted in this thread, but that's OK. Haziness on those subjects is part of the legend surrounding a larger than life character.

It's been a treat. RIP, Lefty.

Johnston Gym

Post by Johnston Gym » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:09 pm

Heard about the funeral arrangements this morning at Church. Service will be at First Presbyterian in Norfolk at 1 pm on Monday, March 4. His wife’s funeral was at Royster Presbyterian, but I guess the larger church is needed for the expected crowd. Visitation before service right down the street from the church at HD Oliver Funeral Apartments and private family burial after the service.

I have pictures which I can’t figure out how to post of his “walls of fame” from his condo - every inch covered with memorabilia. Love that the first basketball on the wall is from the Davidson win over Wake. Also incudes a picture of him as a player for state champs Granby High, the SI cover which hangs on my wall, and a million other cool things.

cat44

Post by cat44 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:51 am

I have a picture, from one of my townie friends, of Lefty, Red Auerbach and Pete Maravich at a summer camp at DC. If I can figure out how, I will post it.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:45 am

cat44 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:51 am
I have a picture, from one of my townie friends, of Lefty, Red Auerbach and Pete Maravich at a summer camp at DC. If I can figure out how, I will post it.
Maravich, Rod Knowles, Lefty, Auerbach, Turry, Jerry Kroll, ?
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:02 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:45 am
cat44 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:51 am
Maravich, Rod Knowles, Lefty, Auerbach, Turry, Jerry Kroll, ?
Kroll is correct. I’m pretty sure that is Warren Mitchell on the far right.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:51 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:02 pm
Kroll is correct. I’m pretty sure that is Warren Mitchell on the far right.
Yeah, my question mark is for the guy on the far right.

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:59 pm

Great pic.

Kid in the middle looks familiar.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:31 pm

Question for the wizards - top of PM’s shirt reads “ Edwards”; what does it read below?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:55 pm

Looks like "Phys Ed"
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:01 pm

Sure does, thanks.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri