Lefty Driesell

2018 A10 Champions!
DC69Wildcat

Re: Lefty Driesell

Post by DC69Wildcat » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:44 pm

Definitely not "Air Force Base." I'll go with "Phys Ed."
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:44 pm

Pete attended Prep School at Edwards in '65-'66 trying to score that elusive 800 on his SAT so he could play for NC State.

He scored 800 after his dad took the LSU job.

Why are Terry Holland and Jerry Kroll wearing loafers on the gym floor?

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:08 pm

MikeMaloy15 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:59 pm
Great pic.

Kid in the middle looks familiar.
Is that JR?
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:24 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:08 pm
MikeMaloy15 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:59 pm
Great pic.

Kid in the middle looks familiar.
Is that JR?
[/quote

Haha, I kinda wondered the same.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:17 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:51 pm
wildforthecats wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:02 pm
Kroll is correct. I’m pretty sure that is Warren Mitchell on the far right.
Yeah, my question mark is for the guy on the far right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Mi ... asketball)
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:34 pm

Johnston Gym

Post by Johnston Gym » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:26 pm

It was a privilege to attend Lefty's funeral today. I went with a fellow Norfolk Wildcat from the Class of 68. I've been to too many funerals dubbed a "celebration of life" that turn out to be anything but. This was a true celebration and it was a gift to be there.

First person I ran into at the visitation was Chris Clunie, along with another Davidson rep and Bob McKillop. My class of 68 friend introduced me to a few of his contemporaries and we all headed down the street to First Pres for the service. I counted 12 of us in the Davidson "section" up front, and so there may be others there as well - but we were well represented.

Lefty's daughter Pam did the service. I can't imagine how hard it is as a minister to preside at the funeral of a parent, but she did an amazing job. She was inspirational, she was funny, she was everything you want to hear from a pulpit. She teared up a few times but did an amazing job. Best line was how her Dad believed anything was possible - "build a top ten program at a small all-male college in North Carolina - impossible, but he did that at Davidson. Make Maryland the UCLA of the East - well,

There were four speakers for the remembrances. First was Ann Holland. She was wonderful and the love between her and Terry, and Lefty and Joyce, was so clear and so wonderful. Next up was Tom McMillan. He was very funny, and I think he mentioned how much Lefty hated Carolina four or five times - all as part of stories - which pleased me greatly. Next up was John Lucas. He was very emotional. The love he had for Lefty and the ties they maintained until the day Lefty died were clear. He did say thanks to the basketball community and all the people who played for him and coached with him who were here - and then paused and said thanks to the coaching community like Davidson's coach who is here pointing at Bob. He talked in length about Lefty and the African American community - the fact he recruited Charlie Scott and Mike Maloy to Davidson but Dean gets all the credit for the first black ACC player when Lefty was already there. He said when he was recruited that Lefty walked into his all-black high school and got a standing ovation because Lefty was a brother without even knowing it. Last was Chuck, who you could tell was dreading this but did an amazing job. He talked of growing up with Lefty and trips to the beach, he talked about playing for Lefty and being put in against UNC with five seconds left down one and getting blocked by some scrub named Jordan, he talked about being fired by Lefty more than anyone else - it was a wonderful love letter to his dad. The best part was the end, when he said that one of the best coaches ever told him that the greatest gifts in life are time and love - looking directly at Bob - and Lefty had both in abundance. Bob's smile was as big as is possible. I'm not sure if many there knew the recent CNN piece with Bob he was quoting, but the Davidson crew certainly did.

I wish I was better at recognizing players, because there were many (I felt very short). Buck Williams and Albert King were very easy to recognize, in addition to McMillan and Lucas, but others were mere guesses - but there were a lot of them there.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:58 pm

Thanks for that report. I have sent it on to friends.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Johnston Gym

Post by Johnston Gym » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:12 pm

I will just add that giving Bob a ride to the Norfolk airport after the funeral service, and having thirty minutes or so with him one on one in my car, is one of the best experiences ever.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:30 pm

What a blessing to have this report from JG. Imhave done little to merit feeling this way, but I am so proud to be associated with Davidson; it is an honor that keeps on giving. TCC.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:09 pm

MrMac wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:30 pm
What a blessing to have this report from JG. Imhave done little to merit feeling this way, but I am so proud to be associated with Davidson; it is an honor that keeps on giving. TCC.
My roommate, who had been head manager our senior year, sat beside Bill, who came with our classmate, Chip.
Bob McKillop, Chris Clunie, and Eileen Keeley sat in front of us, Mike O'Neill, Barry Teague, and their wives behind us. There were many more Maryland players than Davidson players, but I recognized most of them from sitting in the stands for Maryland games while I was in Chapel Hill and subsequently at College Park, where I bought season tickets for several years through Lefty. The remembrances were simultaneously funny and moving. It truly captured Lefty with all his flaws and larger-than-life persona. Pam has developed an ability to mimic Lefty's speech almost as good as Terry Holland's. And, she must be a very good preacher. She made it a worship service as well as a remembrance.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Johnston Gym

Re: Lefty Drie

Post by Johnston Gym » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:45 pm

Had a wonderful time talking with your roommate - he switched seats with Chip so we could chat. His drive down was his first experience with the HRBT, so hope the return trip was smooth as he didn’t seem to know that six mile back ups are a daily fact of life in Hampton Roads with our tunnels and bridges. Was introduced to and spoke briefly to Mike O’Neill and his wife. Recognized Barry Teague but didn’t speak to him.

Scatdliw

Post by Scatdliw » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:06 pm

The memorial service for Lefty was telecast from Norfolk’s First Presbyterian Church at 1 PM today. It was a real celebration. Pam, a Presbyterian minister, presided. She opened the service by giving a welcome, acknowledging there were present representatives from each of the schools he served. Chris Clunie and Eileen Keeley were principals who attended from DC. Pam reminisced about her farther, citing his chief characteristic was love. For example, as Dean Smith’s health began to fail, Lefty called him every week. She gave other examples of how he showed his love and spirituality. He and Joyce shared a moment of devotion at breakfast. Pam’s prayers and meditation were filled with references to God’s love and those who practiced the love of God in relationships, Tom McMillan paid a tribute and told about how Lefty loved his players, illustrated by attending hi father’s funeral and bringing his entire team with him. A lady and another,whom I cannot identify also paid tributes and finally Chuck spoke. There was a lot of humor throughout, especially fro Chuck. Citing how Lefty never lost his competitive edge, he described how Lefty loved to run through the surf with a motor boat and cited how once another boater had cut him off. He told Chuck to put on a life jacket an proceeded to overtake the other boater an cut in front of him. My daughter in law, Jeannie, served on Pam’s staff when Pam was pastor of Trinity Church in Atlanta and currently Pam is a member of the church agency son Richard heads, so they attended the service. Son Will and I watched it on our TV, as it migrated from my Mac. Of course, the congregation sang choice hymns, concluding with Joyful,joyful, we adore Thee.

Scatdliw

Post by Scatdliw » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:11 am

If you Google “Lefty Driesell’s funeral,” you will find some interesting content.

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:17 am

Thank you JG for sharing.
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop