In Game: vs. La Salle

2018 A10 Champions!
TOK

Re: In Game: vs. La Salle

Post by TOK » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:00 pm

TOK wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:49 pm
Because of the victory, Davidson is offering me two free tickets to the game against Fordham, since I bought a ticket for my wife to attend the games over the holidays when students were out.

So I paid $10 for tickets to two games, and now they want to give me two free tickets for the Fordham game. Really glad that I gave up my second season ticket this year.
I just got the two seats next to my season ticket for free for the Fordham game. I guess I should thank the Athletic department for asking me to spend $1,600 this season to keep my two lower level seats. Instead, I got one seat in the upper bowl for $340 and the games that my wife attended have been basically free.

It would be interesting to see how the mandatory contribution scheme has impacted overall revenue.

JerseyLawyer

Post by JerseyLawyer » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:37 pm

Poor Fran Dunphey. Great coach. Great and charismatic guy. Agreed to return to his alma mater for a job nobody wanted. He deserves better. The Explorers are bad,.

otherwildcat

Post by otherwildcat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:06 pm

JerseyLawyer wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:37 pm
Poor Fran Dunphey. Great coach. Great and charismatic guy. Agreed to return to his alma mater for a job nobody wanted. He deserves better. The Explorers are bad,.
LaSalle fired a good young coach after two years and the prior coach who had some decent runs and knew how to recruit at a school like LaSalle. Alums got antsy and were unrealistic abour their school and program.
The program belongs in the Metro Atlantic with the rest of the small Catholic colleges in the northeast. There are high schools with better facilities

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:09 pm

Who is the "good young coach" that La Salle fired? Can't be Ash Howard.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:27 pm

TOK wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:00 pm
TOK wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:49 pm
Because of the victory, Davidson is offering me two free tickets to the game against Fordham, since I bought a ticket for my wife to attend the games over the holidays when students were out.

So I paid $10 for tickets to two games, and now they want to give me two free tickets for the Fordham game. Really glad that I gave up my second season ticket this year.
I just got the two seats next to my season ticket for free for the Fordham game. I guess I should thank the Athletic department for asking me to spend $1,600 this season to keep my two lower level seats. Instead, I got one seat in the upper bowl for $340 and the games that my wife attended have been basically free.

It would be interesting to see how the mandatory contribution scheme has impacted overall revenue.
Flashback to the days of Dr Avinger's Microeconomics class saturated with graphs illustrating the concepts of "elasticity of demand"
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:04 pm

So we’ve been relegated to giving away free seats to attract a decent crowd? Sad, just sad. I hope Matt can turn things around, but the clock is ticking. If we have a mediocre team again next year, recruiting may ratchet down another notch. Things can go sideways for long periods of time, even at storied programs. Just look at Georgetown since John Thompson retired. A long walk wandering in the wilderness.
Esse Quam Videri

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:10 pm

The new landscape would be enough to damped our prospects.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:18 pm

I think some tough decisions are going to have to be made. What are we gonna do about NIL? Should we be a little bit more liberal in terms of academic qualifications for recruits? I don’t think standing pat will get the job done. It’s a whole new ball game now.
Esse Quam Videri

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:31 pm

That depends upon what you think “the job” is.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:52 pm

Competing for A10 titles.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:09 pm

I’m with I77 Cat. I’m not interested in mediocrity. I want a team that can legitimately strive to win conference championships. Otherwise, why play?
Esse Quam Videri

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:21 pm

I remain unconvinced that NIL has anything to do with the team’s struggles the last two years. The programs with players earning big bucks are programs Davidson has never beaten out for recruits.

The bigger problem to my eye is the poor shooting. Some of the team’s poor shooting can be attributed to a choice (perhaps the best available choice) to give a plurality of the shots to guys who never were good shooters. What’s more troubling is: (1) multiple guys who had a reputation and record of good shooting are all struggling to hit (that could be an unlucky coincidence or a sign of something systemically wrong), and (2) the coaches’ saying in the preseason that the players’ shooting had improved significantly and that they expected the team to shoot a (much) higher percentage this season than last.

bostoncat

Post by bostoncat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:58 pm

Same here. I’ll still come to games as much as I can, but I’m done with my season tickets after this season after a really long run. Whole thing has gotten silly with the ushers, in game experience that can’t decide if should keep “trying too hard” or not, and a really mediocre product on the floor...with one in college (ie-the basketball junkie who came to most games with me) and three more after her to pay for - value just isn’t there. Hate to say it, but agree with others here…not sure how we will be able to keep up in D1 with NIL and no graduate program in today’s transfer portal-driven universe.

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:42 pm

These recent posts are obviously quite sincere, but still sad. Davidson basketball has been a very special thing for many of us here in this wonderful little North Mecklenburg community by the lake. It would be heartbreaking, and a bitter pill to swallow, if the program were to hit the skids for an extended period. Many of us are emotionally connected to the success of Davidson basketball. GO CATS!!
Esse Quam Videri

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:33 am

i77cat wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:52 pm
Competing for A10 titles.
That’s not unreasonable.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ