In Game: vs. George Mason

2018 A10 Champions!
WildCock

Re: In Game: vs. George Mason

Post by WildCock » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:44 pm

< Insert standard crotchety old man post here > "Back in my day ... "
No one ever gets called for palming/carrying the ball anymore. Is it still in the rule book? If games were called the way they were back when I was in high school (ca. early bronze age) it would be called 50 times a game.
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

Corpulent Cat

Post by Corpulent Cat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:54 pm

We didn't lose that game because of a non-call on a potential palm. We lost cause we couldn't rebound, couldn't shoot straight, and couldn't stop them for about 7-8 minutes in the 2nd half.

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:59 pm

But other than that, we were fine
Esse Quam Videri

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:34 pm

bagelcat wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:33 pm
Putrid student turnout.
Maybe they'll come later.
They didn't.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:13 pm

As a two decade plus double season ticket holder, I would like to know how the doubling in season ticket prices for the lower level this year is helping us be more competitive in men’s hoops? Anybody know, specifically, where that money is going?
Esse Quam Videri

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:17 pm

It makes for plenty of empty seats. Attendance will probably drop next year.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:23 pm

No doubt about that. Attendance will continue to decline until we put a competitive team back on the floor. We’ve had some pretty serious bad luck with early departures, but the coaches need to step up their portal recruiting game in a pretty big way, and soon. They wiffed badly last year.
Esse Quam Videri

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:32 pm

Rookie coach, incredibly bad luck with departures.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:49 pm

Today, our best player scored 2. Their best player scored 25. I think that's pretty much the story.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

otherwildcat

Post by otherwildcat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:59 pm

Is there something in the coaches almanac thst states, "call a time out when you have the ball and less than 15 seconds on the clock"?
Predictable
1. the opposing coach gets to put in his best defensive players
2. always difficulty inbounding the ball
3. when inbounded the player with the ball is in a worse position than prior to the time out
4. if a shot does go off, there is no time for rebounding for a second chance

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:06 pm

otherwildcat wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:59 pm
Is there something in the coaches almanac thst states, "call a time out when you have the ball and less than 15 seconds on the clock"?
Predictable
3. when inbounded the player with the ball is in a worse position than prior to the time out
Same thought. We've been terrible in those end-of-game, end-of-half, short-clock situations for a long time. We don't have players who can effectively get their shot off in those situations. Today's effort was a total dud.

On the plus side, we forced a turnover with out full-court press today, the first time in my recent memory.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:14 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:23 pm
No doubt about that. Attendance will continue to decline until we put a competitive team back on the floor. We’ve had some pretty serious bad luck with early departures, but the coaches need to step up their portal recruiting game in a pretty big way, and soon. They wiffed badly last year.
We are a competitive team now, just not a winning team. 7 of our 10 losses have been by 5 points or less, and in 4 of those we had a chance to win in the last minute. If we were shooting three pointers at 34% per game like our opponents rather than the 32% that we are actually shooting, we would certainly have beaten GWU, Richmond, and GMU, and possibly URI, and we would be 16-7 or 17-6 rather than 13-10.
Last edited by DC69Wildcat on Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:15 pm

JCDC wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:32 pm
Rookie coach, incredibly bad luck with departures.
I thought one of the stated reasons we hired Matt with no search was the expectation that he would provide continuity and so (we were at least implicitly told) the program shouldn’t suffer any kind of drop off that you often see elsewhere during a transition.

Another reason was that he had been overseeing recruiting and so had built himself a strong roster for his first years and could/should be expected to continue—if not enhance—recruiting success.

To be clear, I like Matt and want nothing but success for him and the program, but I’ve read a lot of contradictory claims and excuses about the past two seasons on here.

seamac77

Post by seamac77 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:22 pm

otherwildcat wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:59 pm
Predictable
Preach it !
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:26 pm

MLC67 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:11 pm
We deserved better because when was the last time you saw a palming call in a bb game at any level. It was a one possession game.
March, 2002, NCAA first round game against Ohio State. Refs took Wayne Bernard out of the game with 3 palming calls in the first half. Wayne was doing exactly what he had done all season, and all of a sudden, it was an infraction. I still think those calls cost us the game (we lost by 5).