Look for the Union label

2018 A10 Champions!
Sir Walter Cat

Look for the Union label

Post by Sir Walter Cat » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:29 pm

citycat

Re: Look for the Union label

Post by citycat » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:22 pm

Dartmouth is 5-14 overall and 1-5 in the Ivy League. Normally, that's a team Davidson should follow to see if anyone enters the transfer portal.

Dartmouth draws 644 fans per game.

The players voted 15-0 to form a union.

If I were Colgate's AD, I'd offer my men's basketball team to fill Dartmouth's spot in the Ivy League.

Dartmouth's most famous hoopster was Rudy LaRusso, a NBA forward for the Lakers and Warriors in the 1960s.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:15 am

I will finish a masters degree at the University of Illinois School of Labor & Employment Relations in May. Michael LeRoy (UNC Law '86) is my favorite professor.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

TOK

Post by TOK » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:22 am

Ivy League schools don't provide athletic scholarships
What compensation are the players receiving?
Don't you have to receive something in return for your labor to be an employee?
Aren't they just volunteers?

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:32 am

The article quoted the NLRB regional director (Laura Sacks) at length:
Sacks found that even though Dartmouth’s players do not receive athletic scholarships, they receive “compensation,” including special treatment in their quest for “highly coveted” acceptance to the prestigious school.

“The coaching staff is allotted a certain number of … admission spots for players they scout based upon their basketball skills,” she wrote, “and encourages players to matriculate at Dartmouth rather than at a school which might offer them an athletic scholarship because of the lifelong benefits that accrue to an alumnus of an Ivy League institution.”

Sacks also rejected Dartmouth’s arguments that the school provides a wide range of support to all students, and that a finding that men’s basketball players are school employees could result in students participating in a variety of other extracurricular activities also being considered school employees.

She noted that students’ involvement in other activities does not “dominate” their schedules “to the extent that students are encouraged to take classes at particular times and then miss those dutifully scheduled classes due to the activity’s travel requirements.”

Sacks cited testimony in the case concerning the scale of support athletics department personnel connected to the men’s basketball team, and she wrote:

“No evidence in the record suggests that other students receive the extent of individual support and special consideration received by those individuals who participate in high-profile Division I collegiate athletics. …

“The record also does not suggest that the hypothetical student journalists, actors, and musicians described by the Employer in its brief are recruited and admitted through a special process because of their investigatory and artistic skills. Nor does the record indicate that these students’ journalistic and artistic endeavors require Dartmouth to employ multiple specialized individuals to monitor funds and brand management.”

cat44

Post by cat44 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:25 am

This belongs in the No Limits... thread

JerseyLawyer

Post by JerseyLawyer » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:57 pm

As a labor and employment, I'm giving press interviews on this insanity. It means the pep band and the student chorus are employees also.

I would voluntarily recognize the union, and bargain away all other emoluments in exchange for a split of the gate receipts. See how they like that

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:51 pm

Evil person who helped create the mess offers solutions:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... salary-cap
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge