In Game: at George Washington

2018 A10 Champions!
Waitress

Re: In Game: at George Washington

Post by Waitress » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:49 pm

Assist to turnover ratio <1.0 is atrocious.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:52 pm

stevelee wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:43 pm
Supposedly the school and the coaches are not allowed to arrange NIL, so I would expect that to be a reason they don’t do it.
Florida State got in trouble because their boosters arranged lucrative NIL deals for their athletes. If schools, coaches, and boosters cannot arrange NIL deals, who can?

bagelcat

Post by bagelcat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:57 pm

The number of rebounds Logan got or didn't get is completely irrelevant to why a timeout was called, or whether it should have been called.

And there was a GW player near Logan because when I heard a whistle I thought a foul was called.

I am NOT defending the decision to call time out, just trying to figure out the rationale. Logan is not a good FT shooter, so that might have been the rationale. I don't know, but it's a possibility. I can't think of another reason why you would call timeout in the backcourt.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:13 pm

Dr. Bliss says no one was around Logan when we called timeout. I wasn't watching the game, so I don't know.

Logan grabbed the rebound with 41 seconds left and we were up 3. If you don't panic, the expectation is he hands the ball to a guard and you run as much clock as you can and take a good shot.

Whatever the reason was for calling the timeout, if there was any thought behind it, it was a mistake.

I hope our coaches weren't thinking, "If a questionable free throw shooter grabs a rebound, let's call timeout before they can foul him".

If no one was around, there was no reason to call a timeout.

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:16 pm

citycat wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:52 pm
Florida State got in trouble because their boosters arranged lucrative NIL deals for their athletes. If schools, coaches, and boosters cannot arrange NIL deals, who can?
From reading the about South Carolina and listening to that NYT podcast, it appears that schools cannot directly pay players for their own NIL and cannot directly connect players to NIL collectives. FSU got in trouble because a coach drove a player to a meeting with the NIL. There may be some vague rules suggesting that collectives cannot recruit players to the school, and that schools can't tell the NILs who they want. But from those stories I gather that those vague rules are almost uniformly ignored.

It seems possible that Davidson would conscientious about trying not violate rules, even vague ones. That could be a big disadvantage for us over time.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:46 pm

Some quick reactions to my rare in person attendance at a DU game - Grant Hoffman has the skills and the heart of a champion; attending the Alumni pre-game gathering, I chatted up Steve Lee, who, as was Snake Pliskin in Escape from L.A., is shorter than I had expected; nothing wrong with our team defense, we will win again when we make our foul shots and three point attempts; not a fan of our new casual wear for the coaches; and finally, Jack Gibbs appears to need to skip the dessert line at the team buffets for a while. More reflections when my heart and head clear from this dismal outing tomorrow, if ever.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:57 pm

You are right, our lack of athleticism is a perennial complaint, and guess what? That reality has finally caught up with us, and will continue to rear its ugly head until we fix it. Let’s hope we do. Go Cats!!
Esse Quam Videri

citycat

Post by citycat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:08 pm

We have a Blue Ribbon Sports Analytics Department led by Dr. Chartier. One of our coaches needs to ask him, "What are our chances of winning when we're up 3 with 41 seconds to go and Sean Logan has just rebounded a missed free throw?"

It has to be at least 65%.

If the game is tied, it would be 50+%.

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:37 pm

citycat wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:08 pm
We have a Blue Ribbon Sports Analytics Department led by Dr. Chartier. One of our coaches needs to ask him, "What are our chances of winning when we're up 3 with 41 seconds to go and Sean Logan has just rebounded a missed free throw?"

It has to be at least 65%.

If the game is tied, it would be 50+%.
Kenpom has a chart like this for every game. Odds were 86%.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:58 am

Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Sir Walter Cat

Post by Sir Walter Cat » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:51 am

citycat wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:13 pm
Dr. Bliss says no one was around Logan when we called timeout. I wasn't watching the game, so I don't know.

Logan grabbed the rebound with 41 seconds left and we were up 3. If you don't panic, the expectation is he hands the ball to a guard and you run as much clock as you can and take a good shot.

Whatever the reason was for calling the timeout, if there was any thought behind it, it was a mistake.

I hope our coaches weren't thinking, "If a questionable free throw shooter grabs a rebound, let's call timeout before they can foul him".

If no one was around, there was no reason to call a timeout.
Watching on TV I thought a foul was called and I thought the announcers assumed that as well. The announcement of a timeout was quite the surprise.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:11 am

Watching in person, I never figured out what some of the calls were, nor did the PA announcer on a couple. Sometimes I could sort of guess by what happened next.

The reversal was obviously correct to fans. If the bad call had stayed, we might have avoided overtime, and maybe not felt so good about the win.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:16 am

GW’s scoreboard is nice. Not only is there a video screen, there is space for players’ names, numbers and stats. Unlike outs, it shows who are currently in the game rather than who was five minutes earlier.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:37 am

Ours is a joke. Has been since it was installed.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:19 am

i77cat wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:37 am
Ours is a joke. Has been since it was installed.
The built-in time delay has been just for a few seasons.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ