Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
RichmondCat

Re: Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

Post by RichmondCat » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:52 am

Davidson interest in transfer Zach Laput, 6’4 G, Sr., Bentley(D2). Great shooting guard.

https://x.com/pdtscouting/status/177228 ... 2c1mKS_QvQ

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:02 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:38 am
quickcat wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:36 am
What is the new rule? You can just enroll and take classes even if you are not pursuing a degree? I’m assuming these Ivy guys will graduate this spring.

Did Foster get a degree from Davidson? Seemed like he could and I assumed he did. But transfers to Davidson after 3 college years are not something I had heard of.
Correct. If one of these grad guys comes to Davidson they will take classes but not get any type of degree. This is my understanding.

Yes, Foster did graduate from DU.
This is the point where the NCAA and college Presidents could nip this all in the bud and bring back legitimacy to college sports. Without the academic side of the equation this is nothing but "club" basketball. How is a student progressing toward a degree when they attend 3-6 schools in their athletic career? How are you obtaining a degree when you are not required as a grad student? Schools used to promote their graduation rates on a yearly basis,
Why would top schools make their education a joke? Personally if we continue on the portal trend, I will stop supporting the Cats. I have no desire to watch yearly teams of free agents. Sure a rare transfer is ok but I don't wish to see a roster where the bulk of the players did not share their freshman experience with other non athlete Davidson students.

As always another seismic change is happening in a beloved sport and as usually a key component "the fan" has no seat at the table. The mega schools will continue to have fans because of their "super sized enrollments" but I feel this will kill attendance at the mid major schools because that unique bond of "student athletes" that the fans enjoy, will be gone.
Last edited by 85Wildcatsky on Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:22 pm

85Wildcatsky wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:02 pm
wildforthecats wrote:
quickcat wrote:
What is the new rule? You can just enroll and take classes even if you are not pursuing a degree? I’m assuming these Ivy guys will graduate this spring.

Did Foster get a degree from Davidson? Seemed like he could and I assumed he did. But transfers to Davidson after 3 college years are not something I had heard of.
Correct. If one of these grad guys comes to Davidson they will take classes but not get any type of degree. This is my understanding.

This is the point where the NCAA and college Presidents could nip this all in the bud and bring back legitamacy to college sports. Without the academic side of the equation this is nothing but "club" basketball. How is a student progressing toward a degree when they attend 3-6 schools in their athletic career? How are you obtaining a degree when you are not required as a grad student? Schools used to promote their graduation rates on a yearly basis,
why would top schools make their education a joke? Personally if we continue on the portal trend, I will stop supporting the Cats. I have no desire to watch yearly teams of free agents. Sure a rare transfer is ok but I don't wish to see a roster where the bulk of the players did not share their fresman experience with other non athlete Davidson students.

As always another seismic change is happening in a beloved sport and as usually a key component "the fan" has no seat at the table. The mega schools will continue to have fans because of their "super sized enrollments" but I feel this will kill attendance at the mid major schools because that unique bond of "student athletes" that the fans enjoy, will be gone.
I seriously doubt Davidson will do what I typed above.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:55 pm

When I matriculated the ball down the court for 45 minutes in 1967, the student experience for both freshman and sophomore’s included compulsory ROTC. No separate dorms, eating halls or exceptions from Army training was afforded to our scholarship athletes. I still remember seeing Mike Maloy marching with the other several hundred cadets across the football field. He was easy to see, as he was a full head taller than everyone else marching. This common experience definitely helped us all bond with each other and support the basketball and football players. It will, therefore, be difficult to continue to drink the Kool-aid, should our teams become hired employees instead of fellow students. Sad.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:53 pm

Should we be excited or concerned that the coaching staff is interested in two D2 portal guys?
Esse Quam Videri

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:03 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:53 pm
Should we be excited or concerned that the coaching staff is interested in two D2 portal guys?
Excited.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:59 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:03 pm
ScootCat wrote:
Excited.
Worked out for Oakland
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:43 pm

ScootCat wrote:
I would be concerned that we didn't land them right out of high school if they are that good and academically qualified.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:04 pm

85Wildcatsky wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
quickcat wrote:

This is the point where the NCAA and college Presidents could nip this all in the bud and bring back legitimacy to college sports. Without the academic side of the equation this is nothing but "club" basketball. How is a student progressing toward a degree when they attend 3-6 schools in their athletic career? How are you obtaining a degree when you are not required as a grad student? Schools used to promote their graduation rates on a yearly basis,
Why would top schools make their education a joke? Personally if we continue on the portal trend, I will stop supporting the Cats. I have no desire to watch yearly teams of free agents. Sure a rare transfer is ok but I don't wish to see a roster where the bulk of the players did not share their freshman experience with other non athlete Davidson students.

College presidents lost control long ago. The Preparation-H cannot be put back in the tube.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:01 am

wildforthecats wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:03 pm
ScootCat wrote:
Excited.
I think we should know a thing or two about players who don't "fit the mold" but turn out to be superstars.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:35 am

Waitress wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:04 pm
85Wildcatsky wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
quickcat wrote:

College presidents lost control long ago. The Preparation-H cannot be put back in the tube.
Might as well use it then. Anybody got an extra toothbrush?

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:44 am

When it comes transfers, I see two separate issues. One is whether they help DC MBB win. Two is whether the process of taking transfers (including the individual student athletes that process ultimately brings to campus) is consistent with what the institution wants its MBB program to be.

Regarding winning, I don’t think it’s obvious that focusing on transfers is the best available strategy for maximizing Davidson’s MBB wins sustainably for the foreseeable future. Davidson has more resources than most schools, but fewer resources than the top programs. That means Davidson has to be smart in seeking its comparative advantages. Watching a former D2 player hit a bunch of threes in the NCAA tournament proves that it’s possible to have success with former D2 players, it doesn’t prove that recruiting former D2 players will result in success. And guess what? Every team is now giving a closer look at former D2 players. Davidson shouldn’t fish in the same spot where every other team is. And recruiting grad transfers and one-year mercenaries seems really short sighted. Do we do that in perpetuity and abandon the development of “home-grown” talent? There are likely many more sensitivities with respect to playing time. Transfers in come because they want to play (and because the recruiting pitch probably makes that seem like a good possibility—the first question at the Red–Black scrimmage press conference was for Moss and asked him why he transferred from Stanford, and he said, quite simply and clearly, “because I want to play”). Competition is at the heart of sports, so at some level guys have to expect this, but I would feel different if I had put two years in biding my time only to have a transfer come in and take my spot. From my seat in the stands, I thought Des Watson looked pretty upset that despite his buying into TCC, the team brought in Kochera to take his starting spot.

Regarding what kind of program Davidson wants to have, I don’t have a problem whether the coaches bring in guys from D1, D2, or D3 guys, as long as they and Admission believe they can cut it at Davidson. But I would like to see a program that values community. I want Davidson MBB to win, but not at any cost. I’m not very worried about this. The coaches are wonderful people and the players seem to be really good guys. My main concern is whether there’s a culture and community where the players feel cared for and given a fair opportunity to develop and contribute to a winning team. One-year players (whether from an Ivy League school or a college much less selective than Davidson) seem inherently inconsistent with that idea.

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:17 am

Acorn, You nailed it. Could not agree more. Go Cats!
Esse Quam Videri

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:50 am

“ I thought Des Watson looked pretty upset that despite his buying into TCC, the team brought in Kochera to take his starting spot.”

T$ didn’t seem to mind when Davidson brought in Brian Sullivan.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:42 am

wildforthecats wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:50 am
“ I thought Des Watson looked pretty upset that despite his buying into TCC, the team brought in Kochera to take his starting spot.”

T$ didn’t seem to mind when Davidson brought in Brian Sullivan.
In Sullivan’s first year playing for Davidson, both he and Kalinoski started 30 of 33 games. Tyler averaged 33.8 minutes to Brian’s 31.1.

But even if the situation had been similar, that doesn’t mean that both situations were handled the same way or both handled well.

Regardless, Des appears to have made a good decision for himself.