Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
BDL

Post by BDL » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:16 pm

We have only one scholarship open, right?

BDL

Post by BDL » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:18 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:Notre Dame's Matt Ryan, who if I'm not mistaken we recruited very hard out of high school (correct me if I'm wrong), is transferring. Just noting because we offered him when he was a sophomore in high school, although I think we are more likely to be in the market for a big man than a sharpshooter.

^^Jeter has stated he wants to go closer to home (west coast)
Ryan has great size (6'8 I believe) and notre dame lists him as a forward, I bet he could play the 4 (especially if he gets a year to train and bulk up).

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:31 pm

BDL wrote:
CatsUpNorth wrote:Notre Dame's Matt Ryan, who if I'm not mistaken we recruited very hard out of high school (correct me if I'm wrong), is transferring. Just noting because we offered him when he was a sophomore in high school, although I think we are more likely to be in the market for a big man than a sharpshooter.

^^Jeter has stated he wants to go closer to home (west coast)
Ryan has great size (6'8 I believe) and notre dame lists him as a forward, I bet he could play the 4 (especially if he gets a year to train and bulk up).
Let's wait until we actually express some interest before mapping out weightlifting plans for Honeychuck (Ryan is also basically exclusively a perimeter player, does not project as a 4 despite his height).

kevin mcmahon

Post by kevin mcmahon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:26 pm

I've watched a lot of ND games. He has a much more complete skill set than listed here. The fact that he was only being used in a certain role may be part of the reason he is leaving. He can get to the rim and rebound. He is tough and at least a fair defender.
"Microphones are for Navy guys"... Ranger H.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:46 pm

kevin mcmahon wrote:I've watched a lot of ND games. He has a much more complete skill set than listed here. The fact that he was only being used in a certain role may be part of the reason he is leaving. He can get to the rim and rebound. He is tough and at least a fair defender.
I have too, and like what I've seen. By perimeter player I mean he can't post up bigs like our ideal 4 can, but could allow us to play a 4-guard lineup. My general point was we should avoid being presumptuous before we have reported interest, just posted here he was transferring because I know we recruited him hard out of high school. However, he is above all else a knockdown shooter who said himself he models his game after JJ Redick.

kevin mcmahon

Post by kevin mcmahon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:08 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:
kevin mcmahon wrote:I've watched a lot of ND games. He has a much more complete skill set than listed here. The fact that he was only being used in a certain role may be part of the reason he is leaving. He can get to the rim and rebound. He is tough and at least a fair defender.
I have too, and like what I've seen. By perimeter player I mean he can't post up bigs like our ideal 4 can, but could allow us to play a 4-guard lineup. My general point was we should avoid being presumptuous before we have reported interest, just posted here he was transferring because I know we recruited him hard out of high school. However, he is above all else a knockdown shooter who said himself he models his game after JJ Redick.
I agree. I would love to get him as well but also agree the discussion is academic at this point. BTW, I enjoy your posts, informative and objective.
"Microphones are for Navy guys"... Ranger H.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:13 pm

BDL wrote:We have only one scholarship open, right?
Correct.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:17 pm

kevin mcmahon wrote:
CatsUpNorth wrote:
I agree. I would love to get him as well but also agree the discussion is academic at this point. BTW, I enjoy your posts, informative and objective.
Lol thanks, my job just affords me plenty of time to keep up with recruiting stuff.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Sounds like Ryan could play 2-4 for us. He went to Iona Prep, I believe that is the school of former Wildcat John Falconi '74.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:21 pm

The question is academic at this point. I know at the margin we sometimes lose players due to grades. What would be an appropriate gray area for us? as an alum I am very proud of the GPA I earned and the hard work it entailed to achieve. However, as a competitive person, I sometimes get annoyed when our basketball program loses out on an opportunity to become even better and competitive against P5 programs due to "academics". Not saying we get 1 or 2 year and does.. but if you had to give up 50-100 pts on SAT; thats like 4 questions! He could have just had a bad day...

BDL

Post by BDL » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:50 pm

DCA06 wrote:The question is academic at this point. I know at the margin we sometimes lose players due to grades. What would be an appropriate gray area for us? as an alum I am very proud of the GPA I earned and the hard work it entailed to achieve. However, as a competitive person, I sometimes get annoyed when our basketball program loses out on an opportunity to become even better and competitive against P5 programs due to "academics". Not saying we get 1 or 2 year and does.. but if you had to give up 50-100 pts on SAT; thats like 4 questions! He could have just had a bad day...
As a current student I have talked to classmates about this issue and opinions are varied (to say the least). That being said, I agree with you that there should be some leeway pertaining to athletes. I think its also important to recognize how much harder athletes have to work than just regular students like me. I am in many extra curriculars and try to take as rigorous a class load as I know I can handle but I can't imagine doing everything I do AND being an athlete who has much more on his/her plate. So I think its perfectly fine to let in some who are on the margin as long as theyre given tools to succeed (I've heard an increase in tutors as one way to help athletes) and work hard to graduate. Letting in some athletes who are at the edge doesnt change the world class professors, amazing, hard working students already here and elite ranking (which shouldnt matter but Forbes ranking Davidson ahead of Duke was pretty darn cool).

wildcatspride

Post by wildcatspride » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:03 am

DCA06 wrote:The question is academic at this point. I know at the margin we sometimes lose players due to grades. What would be an appropriate gray area for us? as an alum I am very proud of the GPA I earned and the hard work it entailed to achieve. However, as a competitive person, I sometimes get annoyed when our basketball program loses out on an opportunity to become even better and competitive against P5 programs due to "academics". Not saying we get 1 or 2 year and does.. but if you had to give up 50-100 pts on SAT; thats like 4 questions! He could have just had a bad day...
Just wanted to note that standardized testing is the 4th consideration during admissions at Davidson. I know you are making a point, but the question about "academics" has very little to do with SAT scores.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I have had very long conversations with a coach at Davidson who attended a school known for academics that relaxes those standards for teams competing for national championships and he has some very compelling arguments.

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:25 am

And we do the same at Davidson. Perhaps not to the same degree, but basketball and other sports get "academic consideration".

BDF

Post by BDF » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:28 am

Suppose Davidson is going to accept 5500 students. By all accounts, they aren't simply taking the 5500 kids that had the highest rating based on some mathematical formula that adds up GPA and SAT scores. They factor in extracurricular activities, leadership initiative, and athletic recruitment. So, to a certain extent, the academic standards are "lowered" for any student who is not in the top 5500.

I suspect, though, that the admissions office also has a pretty good idea of an academic profile in high school that indicates the ability to succeed at Davidson. Davidson is difficult, and as BDL noted, it is more difficult if you are an athlete. If the argument is we should let in a great athlete whose academic profile suggests that they will not be able to handle the academic rigors of Davidson, I think that would be unfair to the student, the team and the college. While some courses at Davidson are easier than others, I don't think there is an easy path to graduation. We should not be admitting students who we don't think will be able to graduate.

Having said that, I'd absolutely accept a kid whose could play an important role in the life of the college (as an athlete, an artist or a leader) who had lower than average standardized test scores but good grades and evidence of the strong work ethic needed to succeed.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 am

It's a given that we turn down plenty of kids who could succeed at DC. That's what happens when applications far exceed the spaces available.