Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:08 pm

GoalCat wrote:
BDL wrote:As it is we only have 1 proficient post scorer... we need a rugged, low post scorer. Id be over the moon if we get Reuter but I also would be happy with Ryan even though he doesn't fit our exact needs.
Hmmm, are you referring to fall 2017 or fall 2018? I feel pretty good about next season, with Will, Nate, and Peyton as proven players (with varying strengths, obviously), and Dusan hopefully able to play and contribute. Its fall 2018 that I'm worried about, when only Dusan would be coming back with any experience. I assume we will have some success recruiting bigs from the HS Class of 2018, when they will have terrific opportunity to step right in, but they will be young and inexperienced.

So, I agree with you about getting someone like Reuter or Ryan, to add another big or big'ish body with experience that would be eligible to play come fall 2018.
I'm talking about 2017. I love nate and Will all in their own ways and am confident about our situation for next season. That being said there is only one player on the 2017 roster I would be willing to dump it to in the post with the utmost confidence he'll score or create a bucket (and that guy is obviously Peyton).

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Magoo came on at the end of the season. I see him having a very good senior campaign.

BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:30 pm

wildforthecats wrote:Magoo came on at the end of the season. I see him having a very good senior campaign.
Very true, but for the first part of the season he played like he didn't realize he was 7'0 (or 6'10 or whatever). He needs extensive work on going up hard and catching the bal and of course attacking aggressively.

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:04 pm

BDL wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:Magoo came on at the end of the season. I see him having a very good senior campaign.
Very true, but for the first part of the season he played like he didn't realize he was 7'0 (or 6'10 or whatever). He needs extensive work on going up hard and catching the bal and of course attacking aggressively.
I actually think that Will's play became noticeably more aggressive in the latter portion of the season, and his production picked up as a result. I'm confident he will be an even bigger plus, next year. In the bigger picture, though, transfers like Reuter or Ryan or anyone else will not help us next year, no matter what. Their importance lies in providing us a big for 2018/19 who is not a freshman. Would be great.

BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:28 pm

GoalCat wrote:
BDL wrote:
I actually think that Will's play became noticeably more aggressive in the latter portion of the season, and his production picked up as a result. I'm confident he will be an even bigger plus, next year. In the bigger picture, though, transfers like Reuter or Ryan or anyone else will not help us next year, no matter what. Their importance lies in providing us a big for 2018/19 who is not a freshman. Would be great.
Exactly;landing Reuter would greatly reduce the nightmare of losing PA. Too early to talk about 2018/2019 but we should have an incredible cadre of guards returning.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:09 pm

https://twitter.com/JustinByerly/status ... 2236677120
@JustinByerly wrote:Kadin Shedrick 6'9 C for @GRoadBBall 2019's, block shots rebounds and can stretch the floor. 7'1 wingspan. Cambell and Davidson interest

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:02 am

We need to land 1 transfer.

We need one or two big men in 2018; as well as an athletic wing.

I hope Kellan and Luke and Carter show that you can come in as a freshman and contribute right away; and Bob makes you better. I believe one if not all of these guys will get a shot at high level pro ball in EUR or NBA. Again, the more players getting a crack at NBA, etc is going to increase our visibility and show players they can get a great education and have professional optionality.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:09 am

DCA06 wrote:We need to land 1 transfer.

We need one or two big men in 2018; as well as an athletic wing.

I hope Kellan and Luke and Carter show that you can come in as a freshman and contribute right away; and Bob makes you better. I believe one if not all of these guys will get a shot at high level pro ball in EUR or NBA. Again, the more players getting a crack at NBA, etc is going to increase our visibility and show players they can get a great education and have professional optionality.
We don't NEED to land a transfer.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:41 am

Absolutely agreed, wftc. If a great transfer happens, that's fine. Just like every year. But this team will be fine without one.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

BDL

Post by BDL » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:00 am

i77cat wrote:Absolutely agreed, wftc. If a great transfer happens, that's fine. Just like every year. But this team will be fine without one.
I really think we do need a transfer(or even a big man recruit). At our level getting a freshman who can contribute big time is hard, as it is we are losing our entire froncourt after next season (outside of Dusan who is supremely talented but is often injured and Bates Jones a preferred walk on). We should have some of the besr group of guards in the conference returning after next season (JAG, Kellan, Frampton, KP) and it would go a long way to have at least one good frontcourt player w/ experience (aka not a freshman who has never practiced or played against college level players). If we land a guy who can start in 2018 and Dusan shows signs he can be a solid starter than that goes a long way in making sure we wont have a bad year.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:47 am

To me, the biggest problem with saying that we have to have a transfer is that some of the folks who read this board a lot and say that they never read this board are apt to be a tad offended at the notion that the team isn't sufficiently talented. And I like most of those folks. If a quality transfer announces that he's coming to Davidson, I'll celebrate. But I'm not crying if we don't get one. Our staff knows what they have, what they need, and who they are likely to land in recruiting.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

sundance

Post by sundance » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:00 pm

The incoming freshmen are very talented.

Carter Collins has only begun to scratch the surface of his potential.

He's the sleeper of the group.

MNCAT

Post by MNCAT » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:25 pm

i77cat wrote:To me, the biggest problem with saying that we have to have a transfer is that some of the folks who read this board a lot and say that they never read this board are apt to be a tad offended at the notion that the team isn't sufficiently talented. And I like most of those folks. If a quality transfer announces that he's coming to Davidson, I'll celebrate. But I'm not crying if we don't get one. Our staff knows what they have, what they need, and who they are likely to land in recruiting.
Great call out. And we are talking about two years from now, right? A lot of amazing thing could happen between now and then. We might even have enough guard talent to run a 5 guard offense with as great a job as our coaches do coaching players up (and that was said less tongue in cheek than you might think).

I'll always take another player that our coaches want, but I don't presume to know more than they do or assume they can't get it done with what they planned to have on their roster.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:29 pm

It would be surprising if our coaching staff are not devoting much time, energy, thought, etc., into looking at possible transfers. They always do, as far as I can tell. That is not a knock on any returning or incoming players.

I'm not following the semantics of the "need" debate. I doubt any sane person means to imply that the team will be bad without some other players, or on the other hand that we would not be interested in the next Mann, Sullivan, or Magarity out there.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

BDL

Post by BDL » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:37 pm

i77cat wrote:To me, the biggest problem with saying that we have to have a transfer is that some of the folks who read this board a lot and say that they never read this board are apt to be a tad offended at the notion that the team isn't sufficiently talented. And I like most of those folks. If a quality transfer announces that he's coming to Davidson, I'll celebrate. But I'm not crying if we don't get one. Our staff knows what they have, what they need, and who they are likely to land in recruiting.
I'm not saying we arent talented enough... we literally have only two big men who arent rising seniors. This is about pure numbers more than anything else.