Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
wildforthecats

Re: Delinquent follower of the Cats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:32 am

collegecoach8502 wrote:
bvgerd wrote:
drewvan wrote:Can anyone summarize who is attending Davidson College next year who will likely play for the basketball team. Full name and stats if available. The recruits section is so full of arguments and extraneous matters that it is hard to tell who is actually coming and who is on the wish list.
Just to provide a more detailed summary if thats more helpful than the roster and youre interested, heres a list of the new guys joining the team next season: (combination of an excuse for me to be excited thinking about the great players we have joining the team next year and not knowing how closely youve followed the recruiting)

Luke Frampton--6'5 Guard from West Virginia. Ok, hes not really a new guy but had to redshirt his freshman year after a noncontact injury (I think it was an acl tear?) before the season last year. The coaching staff has had extremely high praise for him all year as a great three point shooter and a very tough player. Im guessing his role next year could be as a starter or one of the first guys off the bench.

Luka Brajkovic--6'10 Forward from Austria. The last player to be officially announced as joining the team next year, I havent seen as much news about him since hes a European but again it sounds like the coaching staff was very happy to land him as a commit. I think hell compete for a starting role right away since so many of our post players graduated last year.

Mike Jones--6'4 Guard from Minnesota. A very good all around scorer in high school, both hitting jump shots and attacking the rim. Im really excited to see what he can do especially in our offensive system. I think hell have a big role in the team in the next few seasons, but for next year hes going to be competing with a lot of really talented guards for playing time. Im guessing hell be a sub for JAG and Kellan, but if we end up playing a smaller four guard line up he may get more minutes.

Nelson Boachie-Yiadom--6'8 Forward from London. Im not as familiar with him, but from the highlights Ive seen he looks like an athletic big man with quick feet who could be a good shot blocker. If we play a zone again Id be particularly interested in seeing what he could do roving around protecting the rim. Im not sure what type of playing time hell get as a freshman, but theres lots of minutes up for grabs in the front court.

David Czerapowicz--6'3 guard from Sweden. Hes the player I know the least about but is Chris Czerapowicz's younger brother. From the highlights Ive seen he looks like a great shooter. I believe he participated in the summer camps last year and other posters said he looked really good, like he fit in and belonged playing with those guys already.

You are missing the other new addition to the roster
Refugio solte.

JoMo

Post by JoMo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:21 am

I'm so confused as to who this other new addition is. Have we already added a coach to replace Ryan? Are you talking about Ekwu? Inquiring minds want to know.
TCC - trust, commitment, care

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:25 am

JoMo wrote:I'm so confused as to who this other new addition is. Have we already added a coach to replace Ryan? Are you talking about Ekwu? Inquiring minds want to know.
#15. Patch.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:45 am

Jones’ calling card is his shooting ability, he’s lights out, and has a solid all around game. He also moves off ball really well, needs to improve finishing but he has all the makings of an offensive weapon for us. His length for his size is a plus on the defensive end.

Nelson is skilled and long, very good ball handler and passer for his size, jumper needs a lot of work. He’s not a classic big man by any stretch, might need time before he contributes but I like him.

Luka can step out but is most comfortable in the post for the moment, jumper has improved a ton in the past year. Can still get pushed around and the college game might be a bit fast for him at first, but he has a super high ceiling and should come in with college ready skills.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:26 am

CatsUpNorth wrote:Jones’ calling card is his shooting ability, he’s lights out, and has a solid all around game. He also moves off ball really well, needs to improve finishing but he has all the makings of an offensive weapon for us. His length for his size is a plus on the defensive end.

Nelson is skilled and long, very good ball handler and passer for his size, jumper needs a lot of work. He’s not a classic big man by any stretch, might need time before he contributes but I like him.

Luka can step out but is most comfortable in the post for the moment, jumper has improved a ton in the past year. Can still get pushed around and the college game might be a bit fast for him at first, but he has a super high ceiling and should come in with college ready skills.
Agree with this analysis. Luka has a great skill set but seems very deliberate. If he combines some urgency and strength with that skill, he will be quite a player.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:33 am

JoMo wrote:I'm so confused as to who this other new addition is. Have we already added a coach to replace Ryan? Are you talking about Ekwu? Inquiring minds want to know.
Patrick Casey has earned a jersey this year. #15. He's been with the team for the last couple of years as a manager.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

JustaCatsFan

Post by JustaCatsFan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:46 am

Who is Patrick Casey? Did I miss his name come up in this thread one day?

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:53 am

JustaCatsFan wrote:Who is Patrick Casey? Did I miss his name come up in this thread one day?
Student manager that has earned a spot on the roster. I went to a remote spot in Costa Rica last month,3475.8 miles from my house. They asked me if I knew Patrick Casey. 8-)

BDF

Post by BDF » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Put this in the category of things that I never thought I'd say, but if Nelson can play defense like Oskar did this year, I'll be very pleased.

(From the little I know about Nelson's size/frame, he sounds similar to Oskar from a physical perspective)
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:23 pm

catborn'bred

Post by catborn'bred » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Barnes and staff are doing a good job of coaching and recruiting at UT. He has now signed or gotten commitments from three of our targeted recruits.

BDL

Post by BDL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Just some more in depth info on the newcomers:

Casey is my year (fun fact) so he’s been practicing against first teamers for two years and has good height. Don’t be surprised if he plays a minute here and there.

Luka was highly touted, offered by Stanford/Purdue/and more. He can shoot and block shots according to Coach. He will make an impact, he just needs ro eat a ton of cheeseburgers and steak.

NBY from highlights and Coach mckillop’s words is apparently quite the athlete. While he may have the body of our favorite finnish big he probably doesn’t have as advanced of a 3 pt shot now but is more athletic.

MJ is 6’4 (weird because we saw him listed taller in prep reports) but has a 7 foot wingspan. He can shoot (at an elite level), pass, create, and defend (at an elite level) and had hard interest from stanford before he committed early. I think he’ll get time as the nominal small ball four (where kp will play) and make a big impact. He reminds me a lot of Frampton.

DCZ You hit the nail on the head.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:05 pm

BDL wrote:MJ is 6’4 (weird because we saw him listed taller in prep reports) but has a 7 foot wingspan
Recruiting services are often misleading in trying to sell a guy and over exaggerate things, especially with measurements. MJ is long and uses it well but 7 feet is a little outrageous.

The best way to get a realistic sense of these guys is to watch available game tape, but it's hard to find the time and it's not available for every prospect. If you do have the time, you can watch MJ, NBY and Luka games online, and I can post the links if anyone is interested. Unfortunately with Frampton and DCz there isn't much out there so I'm just chugging the same kool-aid as everyone else (especially with respect to Luke).

BDL

Post by BDL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:19 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:
BDL wrote:MJ is 6’4 (weird because we saw him listed taller in prep reports) but has a 7 foot wingspan
Recruiting services are often misleading in trying to sell a guy and over exaggerate things, especially with measurements. MJ is long and uses it well but 7 feet is a little outrageous.

The best way to get a realistic sense of these guys is to watch available game tape, but it's hard to find the time and it's not available for every prospect. If you do have the time, you can watch MJ, NBY and Luka games online, and I can post the links if anyone is interested. Unfortunately with Frampton and DCz there isn't much out there so I'm just chugging the same kool-aid as everyone else (especially with respect to Luke).
When a coach who has coached Steph Curry states that he thinks a player has the chance to be on his best ever (as coach said about Luke) thats pretty credible.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:25 pm

BDL wrote:
CatsUpNorth wrote:

When a coach who has coached Steph Curry states that he thinks a player has the chance to be on his best ever (as coach said about Luke) thats pretty credible.
Sometimes Bob drinks the kool-aid too.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx