Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
BDL

Post by BDL » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:As Michael Jones continues to dominate Minnesota, I've been thinking about how Nelson Boachie-Yiadom will fit perfectly in our zone (if we continue to use it going forward, which I think we will). He isn't a traditional center, but he's long and quick, and would be perfect playing one of the bottom corners of the zone since he can cover ground to contest the corner and the wing, while also collapsing inside to help. Our current zone has good length (and Michael Jones will help that as well) but it lacks elite recovery quickness, evidenced by the open three that lost us the game last night. With NBY on the bottom of the zone, things will become even more uncomfortable on the perimeter for defenses. I'm still worried about his jumper and would like us to add a traditional big who can silasnce defenses and gobble up rebounds, but I don't think his addition should be overlooked even though he likely wont be the type to put up massive numbers.
As long as NBY can finish strong (read dunk) and play athletic defense (which it looks like he can) he will be a great addition. You can always hve more scoring but I'm confident JAG, MJ, Luke, Grady, and KP (with his passing taken into account as well) will generate enough as long as we play good defense.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:28 pm

We will be young next season, only one senior.

CarmelCat

Post by CarmelCat » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:07 pm

BDL wrote:
CatsUpNorth wrote:As Michael Jones continues to dominate Minnesota, I've been thinking about how Nelson Boachie-Yiadom will fit perfectly in our zone (if we continue to use it going forward, which I think we will). He isn't a traditional center, but he's long and quick, and would be perfect playing one of the bottom corners of the zone since he can cover ground to contest the corner and the wing, while also collapsing inside to help. Our current zone has good length (and Michael Jones will help that as well) but it lacks elite recovery quickness, evidenced by the open three that lost us the game last night. With NBY on the bottom of the zone, things will become even more uncomfortable on the perimeter for defenses. I'm still worried about his jumper and would like us to add a traditional big who can silasnce defenses and gobble up rebounds, but I don't think his addition should be overlooked even though he likely wont be the type to put up massive numbers.

As long as NBY can finish strong (read dunk) and play athletic defense (which it looks like he can) he will be a great addition. You can always hve more scoring but I'm confident JAG, MJ, Luke, Grady, and KP (with his passing taken into account as well) will generate enough as long as we play good defense.

I'm not sure this is quite right. As having Nate as our primary #5 taught us in his Freshman year, if you cannot stretch the defense with the threat of shooting, then it impacts the flow of our whole offense. The opposing big man (also with long arms) simply plays off our big at the top of the key and clogs up our passing lanes.
2040. 3rd East. 2nd Center. 4th Little. 302F.
Formerly DBA: BeantownWildcat, SFGr8Day2BAWildcat

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:14 pm

Sander. Meno. Rossiter. Mann. Even Brooks.

BDF

Post by BDF » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:20 pm

wildforthecats wrote:We will be young next season, only one senior.
So Nate is redshirting? I had read there was no way that was happening.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

BDL

Post by BDL » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:25 pm

TheCatsWildcat wrote:
BDL wrote:

I'm not sure this is quite right. As having Nate as our primary #5 taught us in his Freshman year, if you cannot stretch the defense with the threat of shooting, then it impacts the flow of our whole offense. The opposing big man (also with long arms) simply plays off our big at the top of the key and clogs up our passing lanes.
As long as he is active and moves, his man wouldn't be able to set up shop and disrupt. It would be helpful if he has at least a serviceable jumper (33% from 3?) but I trust Mckillop will gameplan around it or help him develop one.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:04 pm

BDL wrote: (33% from 3?) . . .
Peyton currently at 31.5% this season

BDL

Post by BDL » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Acorn wrote:
BDL wrote: (33% from 3?) . . .
Peyton currently at 31.5% this season
Different situation, he has proven he is way better than his % indicates. Also NBY wouldn't be asked to shoot as high of a volume as Peyton does, he would be closer to how we use Magoo (2 or 3 attempts per game).

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:16 am

Peyton had two shot clock induced heaves against Dayton. He's had some end of half heaves when whatever we were trying to do didn't work. I'm not going to look for more, but if the hopeless ones are removed from the sample he's much closer to his career mark.

CarmelCat

Post by CarmelCat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:51 am

mccabemi wrote:Sander. Meno. Rossiter. Mann. Even Brooks.
Brooks could shoot the 3. But, you are right on the others. Then again, Sander and Meno and Rossiter all existed around "steph", who had a totally different gravity. Mann could shoot too, though he only rarely did.

Regardless, the it's indisputable that opposing bigs sloughed off of Nate clogged the lane. And, this in turn, I believe, stifled our offense...
2040. 3rd East. 2nd Center. 4th Little. 302F.
Formerly DBA: BeantownWildcat, SFGr8Day2BAWildcat

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:51 pm

I agree with you more than I don't. It is more ideal to have a stretch than not, but if you move well, set screens, pass, rebound, and otherwise understand the offense there are plenty of ways to contribute. I see it as a plus rather than a necessity.

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:18 pm

tennis08tarheels wrote:
Waitress wrote:
BDF wrote:
i77cat wrote:Silas is just an ad hoc name. And that's all I'll say about that.
oooh oooh oooh. I think I got it.

Titanic size!
True confession: I never aced anything while at DU.
I hear the drums echoing tonight!
Would someone mind translating by PM please?
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Figured it out. Interesting.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:47 pm

I just keep being reminded of the old joke where tribesmen are interpreting the distant drumming for a visitor and keep suggesting something ominous when the drumming stops.

The visitor finally asks what happens when the drumming stops.

"Guitar solo."

Well, time to quit thinking of old jokes and head for the jazz concert. No drumming or guitar tonight: solo piano, Harry Pickens '83. Jazz band tomorrow night.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

ShlomoCat

Post by ShlomoCat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:22 pm

Wildcat92 wrote:
tennis08tarheels wrote:
Waitress wrote:
BDF wrote:
i77cat wrote:Silas is just an ad hoc name. And that's all I'll say about that.
oooh oooh oooh. I think I got it.

Titanic size!
True confession: I never aced anything while at DU.
I hear the drums echoing tonight!
Would someone mind translating by PM please?
I'm supremely dense, apparently. PM? Further hints? I'm prepared for a "duh" moment.