Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:00 pm

I think we are doing just fine with the talent.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:02 pm

Almost all the profits of movie theaters come from the concessions.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:07 pm

mccabemi wrote:I think we are doing just fine with the talent.
Everyone loves the our players. Davidson is the most unique school in D1 athletics. No matter the outcome of a game a tournament or a season as alums we will always be proud. Yet, Bob and the team outgrew the SoCon and sees its opportunity to become relevant on a bigger platform; within the conference and nationally. I support those goals. Commitment to never settling for status quo and focusing on always improving will continue to attract the attention of better players who want to play for Bob and cherish the schools gift of one of the best educations in the world.

El Gato Bizco

Post by El Gato Bizco » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:47 pm

DCA06 wrote:
Everyone loves the our players. Davidson is the most unique school in D1 athletics. No matter the outcome of a game a tournament or a season as alums we will always be proud. Yet, Bob and the team outgrew the SoCon and sees its opportunity to become relevant on a bigger platform; within the conference and nationally. I support those goals. Commitment to never settling for status quo and focusing on always improving will continue to attract the attention of better players who want to play for Bob and cherish the schools gift of one of the best educations in the world.
I hear you brother

kevin mcmahon

Post by kevin mcmahon » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:05 pm

DCA06 wrote:
Everyone wants to improve that's a given. Preseason, Coach McKillop felt that this year's team (pre-injury) had final four potential. Was he wrong?
"Microphones are for Navy guys"... Ranger H.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:08 pm

There is no journey. We are always arriving and departing at the same time.

Or at least that's what it just said on VH1.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:09 pm

stevelee wrote:There is no journey. We are always arriving and departing at the same time.

Or at least that's what it just said on VH1.
You make me feel hip.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:47 pm

I am not sure I am understanding DCA06's posts. I am of the belief that Davidson College and Bob McKillop are recruiting and will continue to recruit the very best student athletes we are able to recruit. It makes no sense for us to recruit potential players who can't make it in the classroom at Davidson, nor does it make sense to waste time and resources recruiting players who desire to play on a larger stage, such as Duke or Stanford.

Davidson is a special place and Davidson players are special players. It's really hard to compare our program and players to any other out there. The fit has to be right.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:01 am

Of course we want to recruit players who want to play on a bigger stage.

And we won't waste time recruiting a lot of Duke players. Our coaches get their transcripts and know better.

Sure there are fine players who are bad fits for our program. The elite camps help the coaches identify them, perhaps even better than finding promising ones.

And there will be kids who would rather play somewhere their high school friends have heard of rather than where their parents like.

Even though it is now Sunday morning, I will spare you the homily on the parable of the sower. So a bit of math instead: Over the course of four years there are maybe a few hundred players who could get in and who would be good for the program. We can use only thirteen scholarship players at any given time.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:55 am

I'm not suggesting we waste time on players who cant contribute academically to Davidson's community. I am also pretty sure the Brandon Ingram's of the world aren't coming to Davidson. Will Magarity transferred into Davidson - we've got 2 years with him - next time lets get the Will Magarity's as a freshman. We typically recruit very good guards and 3s; it is exciting to see 4s and 5s consider the program more seriously now. Having a great inside presence makes our offense even more dynamic because it gives our guards even more space and opportunity.

I do agree with everyone's comments that this is a difficult depth year given injuries depleting roster. Our record and compete level is fantastic given the team has lost 3 scholarship players, along with 2 others (Barham and Sullivan) dealing with injuries.

All else equal, next year should be very exciting assuming Kishawn Pritchett and Dusan Kovacevic are able to contribute. I think the silver lining in this year is our sophomore class getting big minutes and maturing. Those swing factors along with Jack Gibbs will be immensely helpful to the program's goal of qualifying for the NCAA and going deep in the tournament.

rbarney

McKillop

Post by rbarney » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:08 am

If there is one thing that typifies my admiration of Coach McKillop's fit to Davidson, it is his reply in every post-game interview that eac game, win or lose, is a teaching and learning experience. He sees himself not just as a coach, but also as a contributing member of the faculty. TCC is not just a slogan, but is the mission of his teaching.

Lefty was a good coach and an outstanding recruiter, but he never filled the role of a professor and so modeled the role of student-athlete.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:34 am

I'm not suggesting we waste time on players who cant contribute academically to Davidson's community. I am also pretty sure the Brandon Ingram's of the world aren't coming to Davidson. Will Magarity transferred into Davidson - we've got 2 years with him - next time lets get the Will Magarity's as a freshman. We typically recruit very good guards and 3s; it is exciting to see 4s and 5s consider the program more seriously now. Having a great inside presence makes our offense even more dynamic because it gives our guards even more space and opportunity.

I do agree with everyone's comments that this is a difficult depth year given injuries depleting roster. Our record and compete level is fantastic given the team has lost 3 scholarship players, along with 2 others (Barham and Sullivan) dealing with injuries.

All else equal, next year should be very exciting assuming Kishawn Pritchett and Dusan Kovacevic are able to contribute. I think the silver lining in this year is our sophomore class getting big minutes and maturing. Those swing factors along with Jack Gibbs will be immensely helpful to the program's goal of qualifying for the NCAA and going deep in the tournament.

El Gato Bizco

Post by El Gato Bizco » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:58 am

bagelcat wrote:A 10 is good, but not a top 5 league. It is closer to a top 5 league than it is to the SoCon.

I don’t have a dog in this fight but am curious as to how this is determined.

I’d say most five-power conferences (PAC 12, SEC, ACC, BIG 10 & 12) as best overall. If for no reason than that there tends to be a statistical bias in the number of at large bids each is afforded come tournament time. I’d put the five or so other conferences that receive additional bids on a regular basis (including the A-10) in the next tier.

However, is there any accepted measurement that truly quantifies this?

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 pm

The ranking of conferences changes depending on the year and can be calculated using RPI, BPI or KenPom. A10 is usually in the 6-7 range, and so far this year the conference is currently ranked 7th using RPI: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... conference

El Gato Bizco

Post by El Gato Bizco » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:25 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:The ranking of conferences changes depending on the year and can be calculated using RPI, BPI or KenPom. A10 is usually in the 6-7 range, and so far this year the conference is currently ranked 7th using RPI: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... conference

CatsUpNorth -

Thanks for the information and the link. Much appreciated.