Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
JustaCatsFan

Post by JustaCatsFan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
raptorcat wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
BDL wrote:
Steve Rodgers wrote:I think the big guards we have is the reason both our defense and rebounding have improved. I could see a 4 guard lineup next year. (counting KP and Frampton as guards).
BTW what are Frampton's primary skills?
Ranked as one of the best shooters in the class, has decent athleticism, and is purported as a plus defender.
Can play 1-4 positions.
A few weeks ago, I was listening in on a conversation Bob was having with the Wizards. One of them (Bagelcat, I think) asked Coach what the team would have been like if Frampton had been able to play this year. Bob said "He would be the best shooter on the team; he would have been number two in basketball IQ behind Peyton, and he would have been number one in sheer toughness."
Wow.

Can't wait to witness this talent in person.
Just adds to the potential of this team over the next 4 years.

stan

Post by stan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:34 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:Brick sarsaparilla wager?
You're on. I doubt that Luka will be ready defensively by opening day. Dusan and Nate will be.
Bob and defense are a thing. 69 makes a good point.

I have no idea who will start. Generally it's a good idea not to get too pumped about recruits until we see them play in a few games against good college competition. I've seen 5 star recruits who never played and unranked guys who set records.

I'll assume that we start the same 3 guards with Nate or Dusan at the 5. Might see both start. Maybe Luka can play the 4. Maybe Frampton starts and KP plays the 4.
"Then they started making 3s. A lot of 3s. We're talking more 3s than a bad dating site."

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Putting these types of expectations on a kid scares me, but I am also super high on Frampton and can't wait to see him out there.

I've also watched a ton of Michael Jones, and while I would also say he is closer to 6'5"-6'6" with a long wingspan, he is going to be a perimeter player for us. Like Frampton he is an unbelievable three point shooter, and he also has a high IQ and I could see him being a good cutter and finisher in our offense, making him an ideal weapon for us. His high school team relies on him so much and they put him in the post sometimes, but he is much more comfortable and effective on the perimeter and sometimes struggles in the post against defenders of equal or smaller size, and never posts up bigger defenders, so in that respect I believe he is a different player than Peyton. He doesn't have the best lateral quickness but his length could make him a great weapon in the zone. He's also a strong ball handler and smart passer, he needs to improve as a finisher (he finishes low and hard off the backboard giving himself no room for error, but in theory this is a correctable issue) but overall he is a super promising player and a guy who fits what we do perfectly.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:40 pm

stan wrote:
DC69Wildcat wrote:
You're on. I doubt that Luka will be ready defensively by opening day. Dusan and Nate will be.
Bob and defense are a thing. 69 makes a good point.

I have no idea who will start. Generally it's a good idea not to get too pumped about recruits until we see them play in a few games against good college competition. I've seen 5 star recruits who never played and unranked guys who set records.

I'll assume that we start the same 3 guards with Nate or Dusan at the 5. Might see both start. Maybe Luka can play the 4. Maybe Frampton starts and KP plays the 4.
Small ball will reign supreme in 2018-2019.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:55 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
DC69Wildcat wrote:
Great. BTW, I have moved up to single malt scotch.
Johnnie Walker Red Label is not a single malt.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

bvgerd

Post by bvgerd » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:59 pm

I think our guards will be great next year, but I’m not so quick to think that’ll be our predominant lineup. Coach usually finds a way to make it work with three guards and two bigs on the floor, and I expect he’ll use that a lot next year too between our two freshman bigs and a returning Nate and dusan.

gopher49

Post by gopher49 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:00 pm

DC69Wildcat wrote:
wildforthecats wrote:
DC69Wildcat wrote:
Great. BTW, I have moved up to single malt scotch.
Johnnie Walker Red Label is not a single malt.
raptorcat and I will suspect you've been slipping nips from my flask :roll:
and it's always single malt.
Pi Rho Alpha-"Whatever It Takes"

BDF

Post by BDF » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:12 pm

We played with 4 guards a lot this year too. It was helpful defensively that one of those guards was 6' 8".

Seriously though, if we can put one 6' 6" guy on the back line of our zone, I'm sure we can put 2.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

BDL

Post by BDL » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Is it really small ball when the lineup is:

6'4
6'5
6'6
6'6
6'11

JoMo

Post by JoMo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Given the outrage caused by the values on verbal commits I will correct the listed heights

Collins 6-3
Grady 6-5
JAG 6-4
M. Jones 6-6
DCz 6-4
Uncle K 6-6
Frampton 6-5
Ekwu 6-7
B. Jones 6-8
Duca 6-10
NBY 6-9
Luka 6-11

As was mentioned upthread, we could have minutes next year where the shortest guy in the game for us is 6-5
TCC - trust, commitment, care

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:24 pm

While I don't think we have any way of knowing exactly at this point and think this is just silly semantics, Luka is listed by the Austrian team and his professional team at 206 cm, or roughly 6.76 feet. While I would guess he is taller based on film, all other listings of his height are speculation and quite possibly inflated to sell his prospect status. This is not to diminish his value as a prospect, but I don't think declaratively stating he is 6'11" since it was mentioned in one article that was his height sets a fair expectation, even if he does end up being that tall. Regardless, we have a center/forward we desperately wanted and his actual height doesn't really matter as long as he plays tall.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:40 am

CatsUpNorth wrote:...Luka is listed by the Austrian team and his professional team at 206 cm, or roughly 6.76 feet. While I would guess he is taller based on film, all other listings of his height are speculation and quite possibly inflated to sell his prospect status....

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 am

It looks like I won’t be making reference to our tallest, shortest, or middle 5’11” player like I did a few years back.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

BDF

Post by BDF » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 am

Somewhat counterintuitively, I see us playing a 4 guard lineup a lot next year against teams that want to get the ball inside and are not particularly adept at 3 point shooting. For one, it will create a matchup problem for the opponent on defense if some 6' 8" guy is trying to guard one of our guards. But also, we now know that we can pack into a zone which will help our guards trying to defend a big guy.

We may have to go bigger against teams with shooters because we will want to play man to man to take away the three (as we did against Bona). We may have to go bigger at the 4 to play man to man.

Related to zone, did anyone notice the way we were guarding the pick and roll in the zone against URI? Our center (Will or Oskar) was coming all the way out to the three point line to hedge on the pick and roll like we do in our man defense, but we were definitely playing zone. It was an interesting wrinkle that I don't really remember seeing from us (or many other teams).
It seemed to work pretty well.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 am

BDF wrote:Somewhat counterintuitively, I see us playing a 4 guard lineup a lot next year against teams that want to get the ball inside and are not particularly adept at 3 point shooting. For one, it will create a matchup problem for the opponent on defense if some 6' 8" guy is trying to guard one of our guards. But also, we now know that we can pack into a zone which will help our guards trying to defend a big guy.

We may have to go bigger against teams with shooters because we will want to play man to man to take away the three (as we did against Bona). We may have to go bigger at the 4 to play man to man.

Related to zone, did anyone notice the way we were guarding the pick and roll in the zone against URI? Our center (Will or Oskar) was coming all the way out to the three point line to hedge on the pick and roll like we do in our man defense, but we were definitely playing zone. It was an interesting wrinkle that I don't really remember seeing from us (or many other teams).
It seemed to work pretty well.
4 guard lineup with definitely be the norm in 2019.