Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:08 am

BDF wrote: Related to zone, did anyone notice the way we were guarding the pick and roll in the zone against URI? Our center (Will or Oskar) was coming all the way out to the three point line to hedge on the pick and roll like we do in our man defense, but we were definitely playing zone. It was an interesting wrinkle that I don't really remember seeing from us (or many other teams).
It seemed to work pretty well.
I noticed, the first time I saw it I said out loud "what in the hell are we doing?" As you say, it was an interesting wrinkle. We are using match up principles more too, though I don't think I've ever seen the 5 hedge play in the a matchup zone.

catborn'bred

Post by catborn'bred » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:11 am

While we may see the 4-guard lineup next year, assuming Nathan and Dusan are healthy, I like the option of also going big as necessary. We should have 4-5 bigs who can be rotated at the 4 and 5.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Maxwell Lorca Lloyd - Luka B

Luke - KG - JAX

That would be a fun lineup.

Second Squad

Dusan - NBY

KISH - MJ - CC

Key Reserves: Carter; DC; Bates;

I know I am making an assumption on MAX - but the pick and roll game would be strong there - and we kinda look like the Kentucky of the A10 :)

I was also thinking Nate staying one more year helps recruit the Nigerian kids in 2019/2020 who can start taking more frequent visits to the promise land.

catborn'bred

Post by catborn'bred » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Max sounds like an intriguing recruit, but I am not going to even start considering him until we have some evidence that our staff is recruiting him. Certainly, his profile would seem to be ideal at DC.
Last edited by catborn'bred on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:04 pm

catborn'bred wrote:Max sounds like a intriguing recruit, but I am not going to even start considering him until we have some evidence that our staff is recruiting him. Certainly, his profile would seem to be ideal at DC.
8-)

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
catborn'bred wrote:Max sounds like a intriguing recruit, but I am not going to even start considering him until we have some evidence that our staff is recruiting him. Certainly, his profile would seem to be ideal at DC.
8-)
Your emoji needs some sunglasses.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:19 pm

There was some Davidsonâ€"Grant Williams chatter at some points during his recruiting process:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article203713834.html

Congrats to Mr. Williams.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Acorn wrote:
Interesting: POY with 15.6 points and 5.8 rebounds numbers. Congrats to him.

catborn'bred

Post by catborn'bred » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Interesting. Grant Williams is on my torturous recruiting list of "what ifs." He reminds me of our own D Brooks, a rugged, skilled, largely interior player despite his size. Reportedly, he is also an excellent student-- I think his mother is a professor-- and is from Charlotte. Imagine these two local boys on our roster: Luke Maye and Grant Williams. ENOUGH. Love the guys we have and are adding!

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:11 pm

catborn'bred wrote:Interesting. Grant Williams is on my torturous recruiting list of "what ifs." He reminds me of our own D Brooks, a rugged, skilled, largely interior player despite his size. Reportedly, he is also an excellent student-- I think his mother is a professor-- and is from Charlotte. Imagine these two local boys on our roster: Luke Maye and Grant Williams. ENOUGH. Love the guys we have and are adding!
I remember seeing him(Belk Arena)at games a couple of years ago.

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:41 pm

catborn'bred wrote:Interesting. Grant Williams is on my torturous recruiting list of "what ifs." He reminds me of our own D Brooks, a rugged, skilled, largely interior player despite his size. Reportedly, he is also an excellent student-- I think his mother is a professor-- and is from Charlotte. Imagine these two local boys on our roster: Luke Maye and Grant Williams. ENOUGH. Love the guys we have and are adding!
Rocket scientist.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/teresa-johnson-961454a/

http://utsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=569
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:39 pm

Does Peyton Aldridge's 4 year success and Kellan Grady's MONUMENTAL 1st yr make us more attractive to:

- top 100 players
- and top 100 big men

OR

Does Davidson need to see another player in NBA along with Steph before recruiting is significantly impacted, ie there are multiple players playing pro in NBA.

I am just curious. As we lost on Riley and Hunter. Maybe both felt the need to play in a P5 conference or go somewhere "high profile" relative to Davidson. But as I've said before I think the program's long-term goal should be to continue to elevate the brand and platform (players, physical plant, coaches) so that we are always as a school, in the position to provide more and more to our players, current and future staff, as well as their families. I do believe we could be the "smart" mid major version of Gonzaga or Wichita State. Davidson is IVY education with a strong schedule. Anyone would be lucky to play before our great alumni base.

I know a lot of times recruiting depends on fit and scheme need. As well as the obvious academics. But with Luka, Luke, and Kellan - we have certainly "elevated" our incoming "starting" talent and I am curious what the "multiplier" effect of that recruiting success translates to with respect to new recruits over the next year or two.

catborn'bred

Post by catborn'bred » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:54 pm

What feeds recruiting?

Being in the A10
Succeeding in the A10
Qualifying for NCAA or NIT tournaments regularly
Advancing consistently beyond 1st and 2nd rounds in the NCAA or NIT tournaments
+
One of best head coaches in the country
Great team chemistry
A great game basketball environment
Attractive facilities
Strong strength and conditioning program
+
Terrific school, both culturally and academically
Terrific location
+
Success of graduates, outside of basketball
Success of graduates in professional basketball (NBA or overseas)

We are doing well on many of these fronts. We need improvement in others.

BDL

Post by BDL » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:58 pm

DCA06 wrote: But with Luka, Luke, and Kellan - we have certainly "elevated" our incoming "starting" talent and I am curious what the "multiplier" effect of that recruiting success translates to with respect to new recruits over the next year or two.
Don't forget Jones and Frampton. Both guys have P5 schools on their offer lists and would likely get more attention (and 4/3 star rankings) if they committed to P5 schools or didn't commit early in their respective cycles.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:03 pm

BDL wrote:
DCA06 wrote: But with Luka, Luke, and Kellan - we have certainly "elevated" our incoming "starting" talent and I am curious what the "multiplier" effect of that recruiting success translates to with respect to new recruits over the next year or two.
Don't forget Jones and Frampton. Both guys have P5 schools on their offer lists and would likely get more attention (and 4/3 star rankings) if they committed to P5 schools or didn't commit early in their respective cycles.
MJ and Skywalker are going to be a joy to watch.