Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
BDL

Post by BDL » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:10 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
BDL wrote:Also, how does the admission process work at this stage? Lets theoretically say that player A had interest in Davidson before but committed to another school in December. Now he has decommitted and likes us a lot. Do we assume he has already applied? Is there a special exception made?
We don't have to assume anything. If he's applied already, then they can update his file and see if he is one we can admit. If he hasn't, he would apply and send transcripts, etc. and be reviewed for admission.
So application deadlines are more so just for the regular student and don't apply for every potential student?

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:19 pm

Saw something online suggesting Minnesota is trying late to get involved with Michael Jones.

No, I didn’t. But how we feel about that hypothetical situation might provide some insight into how we should talk publicly about similar situations, no matter how cutely cryptic we think we’re being.

And I can’t imagine a better way to lose the confidence of the coaches than to post their secrets on here.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:22 pm

BDL wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:
BDL wrote:Also, how does the admission process work at this stage? Lets theoretically say that player A had interest in Davidson before but committed to another school in December. Now he has decommitted and likes us a lot. Do we assume he has already applied? Is there a special exception made?
We don't have to assume anything. If he's applied already, then they can update his file and see if he is one we can admit. If he hasn't, he would apply and send transcripts, etc. and be reviewed for admission.
So application deadlines are more so just for the regular student and don't apply for every potential student?
I think the college is willing to extend a deadline for any exceptional student that could have an impact on the college. In the case of athletics, they understand that academic application deadlines don't always fit the same way as it would for a traditional student.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:27 pm

Acorn wrote:Saw something online suggesting Minnesota is trying late to get involved with Michael Jones.

No, I didn’t. But how we feel about that hypothetical situation might provide some insight into how we should talk publicly about similar situations, no matter how cutely cryptic we think we’re being.

And I can’t imagine a better way to lose the confidence of the coaches than to post their secrets on here.
We have 215 pages of people that have shown interest in Davidson, speculated that they liked Davidson, are transferring and/or have asked for their release. There have been numerous notations about kids we have recruited and/or offered. We have wished them well. We have wished them to think of us if they ever get a notion of transferring. How is this one case any different than the previous 215 pages? That and no one that I know of have talked to any one on the coaching staff. I am around the staff a fair bit and I can't remember them talking about anyone that hasn't committed and I haven't really ever asked.
Last edited by collegecoach8502 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:31 pm

Oops, I meant to bump the Final Four thread.

8-)

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:32 pm

wildforthecats wrote:Oops, I meant to bump the Final Four thread.

8-)
Go Kansas!

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:11 pm

The difference is there is absolutely nothing public (outside of what was posted here today) connecting the recruit in question to Davidson since midsummer 2017. There is a story from 3/16 of this year describing how he hopes to make an impact at the school he’s committed to. So I guess someone is just messing with us all or just hoping that something that’s not going to happen could happen.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:30 pm

True. Just a wild, unconfirmed rumor. I remember several similar rumors about players who wanted to leave schools to come play with Steph. They didn't happen. And others. I also remember hearing about Logan and Clint Mann wanting to transfer. We'll see.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:15 pm

Excellent.

My point (however poorly I’m making it) is that one of these things doesn’t look like the others:
- talking about a “Swedish meatball” or “JAG” on here before a public announcement of their commitments;
- alluding to Luke Frampton’s ACL injury before it’s been announced;
- speculating/hoping that Davidson gets involved with someone like Bryce Golden or Clint Mann who has announced his decommitment or intention to transfer;
- speculating/hoping that someone might decommit or transfer; and
- implying that there is mutual interest and/or a potential connection between Davidson and a prospect who is currently officially committed to another school.

The last one seems way more problematic to me.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Acorn wrote:Excellent.

My point (however poorly I’m making it) is that one of these things doesn’t look like the others:
- talking about a “Swedish meatball” or “JAG” on here before a public announcement of their commitments;
- alluding to Luke Frampton’s ACL injury before it’s been announced;
- speculating/hoping that Davidson gets involved with someone like Bryce Golden or Clint Mann who has announced his decommitment or intention to transfer;
- speculating/hoping that someone might decommit or transfer; and
- implying that there is mutual interest and/or a potential connection between Davidson and a prospect who is currently officially committed to another school.

The last one seems way more problematic to me.
No one implied that there was mutual interest and/or potential connection between Davidson and a prospect other than we recruited him beforehand. It is no more wishful thinking than Golden transferring or that Luke Maye might not have a good experience at UNC after his freshman year and look to transfer.

You are also assuming that someone hasn't asked for his release. First, the athlete must receive a release before any coach at any school can show interest (or express interest in any way). This release must also specify what schools an athlete can transfer to (schools can limit the release).

Prior to any of that, any messageboard banter is simply wishful thinking and internet rumors. There are 215 pages of that here and this is just simply one of them.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Ok. Got it. We’re just expressing random wishes about guys Davidson recruited but who are going/have gone elsewhere. . . .

Battin down the hatches, I think some Tyson chicken Maye be on the menu. Ryan Kelly Olynyk.

tennis08tarheels

Post by tennis08tarheels » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:17 am

BDF

Post by BDF » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:22 am

Who is Burger Alexander?^
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:28 am

BDF wrote:Who is Burger Alexander?^
At least it's not a hot dog.