Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
bjrudell

Post by bjrudell » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Scanned through the 12 3- and 4-star recruits who passed up Davidson Basketball offers in 2015 and 2016. Outside of Luke Maye . . .

-- Two are enjoying solid collegiate careers with their chosen team.

-- Two others transferred to lesser programs.

-- The other seven are back-end role players (minimal minutes, 0-5 points a game).

Five of these "busts" were 4-star recruits.

2015 Link: http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball ... age/offers

2016 Link: http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball ... age/offers

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Sehic had one asset every college program can use more of.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:43 pm

bjrudell wrote:Scanned through the 12 3- and 4-star recruits who passed up Davidson Basketball offers in 2015 and 2016. Outside of Luke Maye . . .

-- The other seven are back-end role players (minimal minutes, 0-5 points a game).

Those results make me wonder how much our coaches really wanted some of these guys. Of course you pursue them up to a point. Some you will back off once you get the transcripts. Some you will decide are not good fits for the program. Players will reach much the same conclusion.

It sounds, though, like maybe four or five could have come here and developed as players, got to be seen on TV, maybe had a shot at the NBA, and might have made a lot of money playing in Europe. For some, though, traveling with a power five team and getting front row seats at the games are more fun.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

BDL

Post by BDL » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:22 pm

stevelee wrote:
bjrudell wrote:Scanned through the 12 3- and 4-star recruits who passed up Davidson Basketball offers in 2015 and 2016. Outside of Luke Maye . . .

Those results make me wonder how much our coaches really wanted some of these guys. Of course you pursue them up to a point. Some you will back off once you get the transcripts. Some you will decide are not good fits for the program. Players will reach much the same conclusion.

It sounds, though, like maybe four or five could have come here and developed as players, got to be seen on TV, maybe had a shot at the NBA, and might have made a lot of money playing in Europe. For some, though, traveling with a power five team and getting front row seats at the games are more fun.
Maybe I'm just naïve or have too much confidence in Bob McKillop but I think he would mold any 4 star talent he recruited into an all conference (A10) level player. McKillop puts so much in every kid, he doesn't just abandon one when a newer/shinier one is available. For a lot of these kids, its too easy to become buried and stay buried in the depth chart. Its not the same at Davidson. If the kid is willing to work he will have some sort of success (health willing of course). Just look at Oskar, he played a grand total of 140 minutes his junior year... His senior year he played 550 minutes (many of which came in high leverage situations) and filled an important role.

BDL

Post by BDL » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:27 pm

BDL wrote:
stevelee wrote:

Maybe I'm just naïve or have too much confidence in Bob McKillop but I think he would mold any 4 star talent he recruited into an all conference (A10) level player. McKillop puts so much in every kid, he doesn't just abandon one when a newer/shinier one is available. For a lot of these kids, its too easy to become buried and stay buried in the depth chart. Its not the same at Davidson. If the kid is willing to work he will have some sort of success (health willing of course). Just look at Oskar, he played a grand total of 140 minutes his junior year... His senior year he played 550 minutes (many of which came in high leverage situations) and filled an important role.
Oddly enough, this is one of the reasons why star ratings mean absolutely nothing. If Bob deems a kid worth a scholarship then that's good enough for me. McKillop will squeeze out every drop of talent and value a kid has.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:05 pm

And those two messages amplify what I was trying to say/imply.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

BDF

Post by BDF » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:35 pm

I admire and am envious of guys like Oskar and Tom Droney who have such incredible grit. Obviously these guys have tremendous character and they also have had the chance to experience the care of coaches and teammates who had faith in them for four years.

The guys who have early success, struggle and find their way back will always be among my favorite players.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

BDL

Post by BDL » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:52 pm

stevelee wrote:And those two messages amplify what I was trying to say/imply.
Sorry if it came off as argumentative. I was trying to agree with you.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:15 pm

This is why I am particularly interested in Hunter Tyson's year at Clemson. He will be going up against some pretty formidable 3/4s and Clemson is like all schools always looking to over recruit at that position given Duke, UNC. I think Hunter could have been a PA type mold here over 4 years but went with the "name brand".

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:19 pm

BDL wrote:
stevelee wrote:And those two messages amplify what I was trying to say/imply.
Sorry if it came off as argumentative. I was trying to agree with you.
Sometimes on these boards people who are on the same side get into arguments. I was just trying to avoid that.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Last edited by RichmondCat on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Leaves not ready
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:16 pm

If it really is an official visit and not a typo for unofficial, that is a huge deal and indicates a ton of interest on his part, especially since his junior season hasn't even started yet. Even if it is just an unofficial visit, still a great sign.

EDIT: so per here: https://www.ncsasports.org/ncaa-eligibi ... ial-visits
For D1 men's basketball, recruits can begin taking official visits starting January 1 of their junior year of high school.
BUT also
Due to a rule update by the NCAA, effective April 25, 2018, official visits for all other DI sports can begin September 1 of the athlete's junior year of high school. For almost all sports, this bumps up the official visit date.
So I guess it might be possible. I was skeptical because I was familiar with the former rule.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:29 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:
If it really is an official visit and not a typo for unofficial, that is a huge deal and indicates a ton of interest on his part, especially since his junior season hasn't even started yet. Even if it is just an unofficial visit, still a great sign.

EDIT: so per here: https://www.ncsasports.org/ncaa-eligibi ... ial-visits
For D1 men's basketball, recruits can begin taking official visits starting January 1 of their junior year of high school.
BUT also
Due to a rule update by the NCAA, effective April 25, 2018, official visits for all other DI sports can begin September 1 of the athlete's junior year of high school. For almost all sports, this bumps up the official visit date.
So I guess it might be possible. I was skeptical because I was familiar with the former rule.
Kellan Grady committed his junior year on an official visit.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:37 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:
Digging further looks like the old rule applies to MBB.

For D1 men's basketball, recruits can begin taking official visits starting January 1 of their junior year of high school. Women's basketball recruits may begin taking official visits April of their junior year of high school, beginning the Thursday following the Women's Final Four tournament.

https://www.ncsasports.org/ncaa-eligibi ... ial-visits