Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
BDL wrote:
BDL wrote:I don't see a pressing need for another fuard because I think Carter Collins with some seasoning can be a really good guard. It would be nice but we only have 2 bigs on the entire roster next year and 1 has major trouble just staying healthy. At least 2 of our last 3 schollies need to be spent on bigs.
Hopefully we can bring in a freshman big and either 2 big men transfers or 1 big man transfer and 1 guard transfer.
Why are you so stuck on transfers. We need help next year, not two years from now.
I used to be very against transfers but I have seen many mid major programs succeed on the backs of them recently. Think about, we need high level athleticism (everyone complains about foot speed and our inability to drive to the rim) but landing elite athleticism straight out of high school is very hard (most guys with standout athleticism are often ranked very high and exclusively pick p5 schools). I think our best chance at getting really athletic guys, guys that outside of Jordan Barham we haven't really had, is through transfer. I also think that since Mckillop is a great coach and has created a great environment we are an ideal spot for a kid who wasn't maximized at a bigger school because we will integrate and max out his talents.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:48 pm

BDL wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:
BDL wrote:
BDL wrote:I don't see a pressing need for another fuard because I think Carter Collins with some seasoning can be a really good guard. It would be nice but we only have 2 bigs on the entire roster next year and 1 has major trouble just staying healthy. At least 2 of our last 3 schollies need to be spent on bigs.
Hopefully we can bring in a freshman big and either 2 big men transfers or 1 big man transfer and 1 guard transfer.
Why are you so stuck on transfers. We need help next year, not two years from now.
I used to be very against transfers but I have seen many mid major programs succeed on the backs of them recently. Think about, we need high level athleticism (everyone complains about foot speed and our inability to drive to the rim) but landing elite athleticism straight out of high school is very hard (most guys with standout athleticism are often ranked very high and exclusively pick p5 schools). I think our best chance at getting really athletic guys, guys that outside of Jordan Barham we haven't really had, is through transfer. I also think that since Mckillop is a great coach and has created a great environment we are an ideal spot for a kid who wasn't maximized at a bigger school because we will integrate and max out his talents.
That doesn't answer the bell for next year. It also not prudent when you don't have kids that leave the program early and get their scholarship back. For every transfer, you are using a scholarship with no return. If we spent 2 scholarships on transfers next year, we would only have 11 scholarship players available to play.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:50 pm

Basically, I believe that transfers are the likeliest way we can inject some immense athleticism to the program. I also trust that Mckillop can take flawed players who aren't exactly skilled and mold them so they reach their potential.
Last edited by BDL on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
BDL wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:
BDL wrote:
That doesn't answer the bell for next year. It also not prudent when you don't have kids that leave the program early and get their scholarship back. For every transfer, you are using a scholarship with no return. If we spent 2 scholarships on transfers next year, we would only have 11 scholarship players available to play.
I think the potential upside would be worth it. Also it has been speculated that we won't use all 6 schollies on freshmen anyway for balance sake. So bringing in a transfer helps on that end too.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:53 pm

BDL wrote:Basically, I believe that transfers are the likeliesy way we can inject some immense athleticism to the program. I also trust that Mckillop can take flawed players who aren't exactly skilled and mold them so they reach their potential.
That's fine and probably true...it doesn't answer the scholarship dilemma.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:54 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
BDL wrote:Basically, I believe that transfers are the likeliesy way we can inject some immense athleticism to the program. I also trust that Mckillop can take flawed players who aren't exactly skilled and mold them so they reach their potential.
That's fine and probably true...it doesn't answer the scholarship dilemma.
Usually teams, even the deepest, go only 10 deep. If our guys could stay healthy would be able to experiment with that 13th scholarship.

[easier said than done however]

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:27 am

rbarney

Twitter

Post by rbarney » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:24 pm

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:40 pm

http://verbalcommits.com/players/michael-jones

Those highlights are from last night's 88-47 blowout of Park HS. MJ had 25 pts.
Last edited by chantillycat on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

CatsUpNorth

Re: Twitter

Post by CatsUpNorth » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:40 pm

rbarney wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/KSTPSports/s ... 12/video/1

Whose highlights are these?
Michael Jones, 6’5” shooting guard committed to us next season

rbarney

Jones

Post by rbarney » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:08 pm

Thanks! Now do we have to keep KP from coming down with arthritis to have a point guard? Or do people feel like JAG can grow into that role?

GoalCat

Re: Jones

Post by GoalCat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:20 pm

rbarney wrote:Thanks! Now do we have to keep KP from coming down with arthritis to have a point guard? Or do people feel like JAG can grow into that role?
I feel like JAG has tons to offer in that role, and expect him to keep getting better. There are valid critiques that have been offered on this Board that include some things that are a little perplexing, but I still think he does lots really well, and has tons more upside. That said, love KP's positives, and having more than one point can be a really good thing.

BDL

Re: Jones

Post by BDL » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:09 pm

GoalCat wrote:
rbarney wrote:Thanks! Now do we have to keep KP from coming down with arthritis to have a point guard? Or do people feel like JAG can grow into that role?
I feel like JAG has tons to offer in that role, and expect him to keep getting better. There are valid critiques that have been offered on this Board that include some things that are a little perplexing, but I still think he does lots really well, and has tons more upside. That said, love KP's positives, and having more than one point can be a really good thing.
JAG and KG are both combo guards, not true point guards. That being said, both are legit all A10 talents

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:27 pm

And then . . . along came Jones.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

BDL

Post by BDL » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:59 pm

stevelee wrote:And then . . . along came Jones.
Is jones a pg though? He seems like the same (very good) type as Frampton. I think if we are looking for a shifty/quick true point guard on the roster or in our recruiting classes Carter is the only viable answer.