Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
DC69Wildcat

Re: Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

Post by DC69Wildcat » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:19 pm

A few unsolicited tips from someone who has been successfully retired for 6 years.
1. Ask MrsMac for a comprehensive Honey Do list in order of their importance to her, then set to work on it. Don't ask for any explanations.
2. Walk around your entire house and yard, making a list of do-it-yourself home repair/improvement projects, then set to work on it.
3. Take MrsMac out for lunch frequently, because you can, and it's cheaper and a lot easier to schedule than dinner.
4. Cooking earns the most brownie points per hour. I have a lot of recipes on my computer and am happy to share.
5. House cleaning is also good for brownie points, but not as good as cooking.
6. Start planning a nice trip. I highly recommend a Viking river cruise.
7. Find a new hobby, preferably one that involves physical activity. Pickleball seems to be the thing right now, but several of us on this board would highly recommend fly fishing. I or Dr. Bliss would be happy to get you started.
8. Avoid joining all of the organizations that will invite you to participate "now that you're retired."
9. Get to know stevelee. He is a great source of information on all things "leisure time," such as travel, cameras and travel photography, music and nearby performances, places to find German food (or most any other cuisine, for that matter) in any location you might find yourself, and undoubtedly a lot more things that I don't know about. Those are just the things I have personally consulted him about. He is not, however, a fly fisherman.
10. Take naps whenever you feel like it.
10a. Get a good recliner and a hammock.
11. Wordle
12. Go ahead and schedule that colonoscopy.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:05 pm

2. Walk around your entire house and yard, making a list of do-it-yourself home repair/improvement projects, then *somehow* lose the list.

There, fixed if for you.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:09 pm

MrMac wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:35 pm
ScootCat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:23 pm
Congratulations on your retirement MrMac. I’m a good number of years ahead of you in that regard, but I can assure you that you will be quite pleased once you get adjusted to your new lifestyle. Cheers!
That is reassuring, as it has mostly been disorientation for me and MrsMac. Our most common question to one another: do you know what day it is?
That's easy. Every day's a Saturday.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:53 pm

Thank you all for such wonderful advice. You make retirement sound fun. I rather enjoyed working, so I am hoping to work at enjoying this new adventure.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:55 pm

wildforthecats wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:44 am
MrMac wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:56 am
MrMac wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:27 pm
i77cat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:18 pm
Thousands of them
You have answered well, Grasshoppet
Looks like I have already been busy, creating a new species: a cross between an insect and a Muppet.

Slow news week on the recruiting front...?
Hey Mac, didn’t you just graduate from DU?
Yes. I was a late bloomer. A "boomer bloomer."

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:46 am

I've regularly attended Davidson games since I moved here over thirty years ago, and have held two season tickets for at least a couple decades or so. Can someone with insider knowledge please give a brief update on what exactly Davidson is doing with NIL, and how it stacks up in the national hierarchy? It seems to me that supporters/alumni could aggregate enough funds to be competitive versus the rest of the A10 in our search for basketball talent, at a minimum.
Esse Quam Videri

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:23 am

ScootCat wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:46 am
I've regularly attended Davidson games since I moved here over thirty years ago, and have held two season tickets for at least a couple decades or so. Can someone with insider knowledge please give a brief update on what exactly Davidson is doing with NIL, and how it stacks up in the national hierarchy? It seems to me that supporters/alumni could aggregate enough funds to be competitive versus the rest of the A10 in our search for basketball talent, at a minimum.
We are making small efforts. We need about $5M a year to be somewhat competitive. Not likely going to get close to $1M. We do not have full scholarships for our women's basketball team yet. Our two soccer teams, volleyball, field hockey and lacrosse teams are closer to having no scholarships than they are to being fully funded. Baseball, golf and tennis have better funding but still not fully funded.

Until Davidson makes a commitment to athletic scholarships (which they have said they would do for 30+ years), then I think it will be hard to ever be competitive on the NIL front.

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:39 am

Thanks for the update. If Davidson men’s basketball wants to remain competitive in the A10 they better fix this soon. If they don’t, loyal fans like me may just wander off to greener pastures. The lower level, where I sit, is full of oldsters who are dying off every year. Very few young folks in the arener, which is a serious problem long term.
Esse Quam Videri

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:51 am

I’ve been told that women’s basketball has the limit of scholarships.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:24 pm

This Fall Chris Clunie told a group of us Women's basketball had 14 scholarships. We only have 13 players on our roster, so we can't be using 14.

The NCAA allows 15 scholarships for Women's basketball.

We're fully funded in golf and have been for several years. We have 4.5 scholarships.

Corpulent Cat

Post by Corpulent Cat » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:29 pm

My understanding is that we are fully funded for women's hoops and we are essentially fully funded for baseball.

Davidson has very deep pockets. They just need to come to the conclusion that the athletic world is changing and we need to change faster just to keep pace.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:34 pm

ScootCat wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:39 am
Thanks for the update. If Davidson men’s basketball wants to remain competitive in the A10 they better fix this soon. If they don’t, loyal fans like me may just wander off to greener pastures. The lower level, where I sit, is full of oldsters who are dying off every year. Very few young folks in the arener, which is a serious problem long term.
Look, ScootCat, if you can’t unconditionally and uncritically love this program and show up to sit in your (now twice as expensive) seats and cheer for the Cats, then I’m not sure we want you as a fan….

I’m kidding. But I have heard versions of that in response to anyone who dares to question the program.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:17 pm

Acorn wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:34 pm
ScootCat wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:39 am
Look, ScootCat, if you can’t unconditionally and uncritically love this program and show up to sit in your (now twice as expensive) seats and cheer for the Cats, then I’m not sure we want you as a fan….

I’m kidding. But I have heard versions of that in response to anyone who dares to question the program.
Not sure he was questioning the program. Perhaps he was questioning the commitment from the department or college to compete in today's environment.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:30 pm

I’m not critical of the players or the coaching. In fact, I told Bob right after his retirement that I thought his program was the best overall one in the country, primarily because it was run the right way without compromising principles or academics. One of the reasons I have loved following Davidson basketball so closely is that it’s a throwback to the way things were before big money bulled its way in. The world has changed, however, and we need to decide if we’re going to provide NIL money so that we can at least be competitive. I suspect that will happen, hopefully sooner rather than later. Go Cats!!
Esse Quam Videri

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:04 pm

Davidson interest in 2025 7'0” C, Andreas Holst, Bakken Bears (Denmark).

https://x.com/jakelieberman2/status/175 ... 87268?s=20