Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
loosha's lad

Re: Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

Post by loosha's lad » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:40 pm

I hate even asking this question. Is there any worry that individuals in this year's recruiting class will de-commit with the news of Bob's retirement? I hope and presume that Matt's hire will add the promise of consistency -- that the program won't be run in a completely new and different way with the coaching change. But since the thought entered my mind I haven't been able to get it out again.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:42 pm

We don’t know how many of them Matt recruited. At the very least he was involved in the process.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:05 am

loosha's lad wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:40 pm
I hate even asking this question. Is there any worry that individuals in this year's recruiting class will de-commit with the news of Bob's retirement? I hope and presume that Matt's hire will add the promise of consistency -- that the program won't be run in a completely new and different way with the coaching change. But since the thought entered my mind I haven't been able to get it out again.
That thought had entered my mind, as well. Worse yet, would any of the current players look at the portal, especially with more NIL money likely to be available at most any P5 school.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:24 am

TCC

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:35 am

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:05 am
loosha's lad wrote:
That thought had entered my mind, as well. Worse yet, would any of the current players look at the portal, especially with more NIL money likely to be available at most any P5 school.
Why would they? They'll be playing in the McKillop system for coaches that they know well. I'll bet that they'll be able to look across from the bench and see Bob at every home game. The future is very bright for Davidson basketball.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:57 pm

loosha's lad wrote:
I guess it could happen. I don't expect it will.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:31 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:57 pm
loosha's lad wrote:
I guess it could happen. I don't expect it will.
I feel better already.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:41 pm

Matt has been more than ready for a while. He will continue to do great things.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:32 pm

I don’t think so. If anything the DNA is there and Matt is intrinsically tied to the program; as a son a player a recruiter a coach and now THE coach.
He gets the opportunity to infuse a new perspective on the program and offense as well. Maybe one that is even more exciting to kids.
Who knows? We might be on another even better level in a few years.
TCC

loosha's lad

Post by loosha's lad » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:58 pm

DCA06 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:32 pm
I don’t think so. If anything the DNA is there and Matt is intrinsically tied to the program; as a son a player a recruiter a coach and now THE coach.
He gets the opportunity to infuse a new perspective on the program and offense as well. Maybe one that is even more exciting to kids.
Who knows? We might be on another even better level in a few years.
TCC
Love this. Thanks.

graveline

Post by graveline » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:27 am

Now that the (wild) cat is out of the bag, one wonders how long the wheels were in motion here. Clearly a few of the more connected board members had an idea. It wouldn’t shock me if the recruits already knew some time prior to this. I don’t think anyone gets recruited by a septuagenarian coach without the prospect of them retiring not being broached, and kind of man bob is I can’t imagine him not being honest and issuing any false guarantees of his desire to stay indefinitely
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:18 pm

RichmondCat wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:37 pm
Davidson offer to 2023 Parker Friedrichsen, 6'4 SG, Bixby (Bixby, OK)

Former Oklahoma State Commit.

https://twitter.com/5parker5/status/153 ... wtKCtkn7Og
Looks like a visit will be happening soon:

PF: I visited Xavier also when I was in town and I have my last junior year official to Davidson next week. After July, I plan to narrow it down to 5 or 6 schools, take all my senior year officials in the fall, hopefully decide and sign in November.

https://thefrontofficenews.com/v2/2022/ ... d-visit/2/

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:35 am

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:24 am

This would be a huge get for DU.

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:19 pm

It's probably fair to assume that every recruit we got received an earful from other schools' recruiters about how Bob wouldn't be around much longer, so I'd like to think that this is a contingency the new guys have been aware of for some time.