Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
GoalCat

Re: Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

Post by GoalCat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:41 pm

I'm still curious as to how the NCAA handles a case like this. Earlier comments suggested he would not be treated as a "scholarship athlete" during the spring semester, but I presume he will in fact be "on scholarship" this spring. Main reason for the question is wondering whether his 5-year window to utilize 4 years of eligibility would run out at the end of Fall Semester 2024, which effectively would mean he would not have a 5th-year opportunity, if the need arose. Not that we want the need to arise.

BDL

Post by BDL » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:05 pm

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:11 pm

GoalCat wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:41 pm
I'm still curious as to how the NCAA handles a case like this. Earlier comments suggested he would not be treated as a "scholarship athlete" during the spring semester, but I presume he will in fact be "on scholarship" this spring. Main reason for the question is wondering whether his 5-year window to utilize 4 years of eligibility would run out at the end of Fall Semester 2024, which effectively would mean he would not have a 5th-year opportunity, if the need arose. Not that we want the need to arise.
There are a bunch of scenarios for Sam in this situation. My guess is he will pay for his spring semester, practice, but not be on the roster as an eligible player. He will then start receiving athletic scholarship in the fall and play using his first year of eligibility at that time. This is common practice and is seen a lot with other sports, especially volleyball and soccer.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:41 pm

Thanks for the replies. So, just to clarify, what I'm really asking is whether he would be eligible to play for the entire school year of 2024/2025, if that became necessary and desirable. In the UConn example cited above, he was receiving "institutional aid", and would be a redshirt freshman the following fall. As CC suggested, he may be paying his own way this spring, and thereby be a regular freshman next fall. Does that also mean that his "5 years to play 4" clock would not begin until next fall?

Thanks for the clarification. Really just am curious as to how these situations are treated by NCAA rules.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:09 pm

GoalCat wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:41 pm
Thanks for the replies. So, just to clarify, what I'm really asking is whether he would be eligible to play for the entire school year of 2024/2025, if that became necessary and desirable. In the UConn example cited above, he was receiving "institutional aid", and would be a redshirt freshman the following fall. As CC suggested, he may be paying his own way this spring, and thereby be a regular freshman next fall. Does that also mean that his "5 years to play 4" clock would not begin until next fall?

Thanks for the clarification. Really just am curious as to how these situations are treated by NCAA rules.
I’m guessing it would be just like Michael Bree who came on campus in January 1998. He played for 4 years starting in 98-99 and graduated in the spring of 2002.

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:26 pm

I'm still not sure I've heard an answer to the real question, though. In the Michael Bree example cited, he played 4 consecutive seasons, so there was no question about eligibility. If Bree had been injured at some point, and had to sit out a year, would he have been eligible for a full redshirt year of additional eligibility?

Jay Catsby

Post by Jay Catsby » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:25 pm

GoalCat wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:26 pm
I'm still not sure I've heard an answer to the real question, though. In the Michael Bree example cited, he played 4 consecutive seasons, so there was no question about eligibility. If Bree had been injured at some point, and had to sit out a year, would he have been eligible for a full redshirt year of additional eligibility?
If it came to that (knock on wood) it would be possible for the player to get a sixth year of eligibility. The NCAA rule stipulates a player can be granted a sixth year if they are unable to participate “due to circumstances beyond the control of the student-athlete.” Serious injury qualifies. This happens not infrequently, though more often in football as season ending injuries are more common. The most recent example I can think of is Dylan Ennis of Oregon when they went to the final four a few years ago. Used his first redshirt to transfer, then broke his foot two games into his senior season. The NCAA gave him another senior season, which worked out ok for him and the Ducks.

The bigger question which I don’t think anyone here has the answer to, is if it would be possible academically at Davidson. There are enough hoops to jump through for players who want to be at Davidson for ten semesters, so much so that we saw a player choose to graduate last year with a year of eligibility left on the table. Would 11 be possible? Maybe. Desirable? Probably not. Let’s just keep Sam healthy & not worry about it.

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:41 am

Jay Catsby wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:25 pm
GoalCat wrote:
If it came to that (knock on wood) it would be possible for the player to get a sixth year of eligibility. The NCAA rule stipulates a player can be granted a sixth year if they are unable to participate “due to circumstances beyond the control of the student-athlete.” Serious injury qualifies. This happens not infrequently, though more often in football as season ending injuries are more common. The most recent example I can think of is Dylan Ennis of Oregon when they went to the final four a few years ago. Used his first redshirt to transfer, then broke his foot two games into his senior season. The NCAA gave him another senior season, which worked out ok for him and the Ducks.

The bigger question which I don’t think anyone here has the answer to, is if it would be possible academically at Davidson. There are enough hoops to jump through for players who want to be at Davidson for ten semesters, so much so that we saw a player choose to graduate last year with a year of eligibility left on the table. Would 11 be possible? Maybe. Desirable? Probably not. Let’s just keep Sam healthy & not worry about it.
Ahhh, and with your reply, I have the final piece to my puzzle. Thanks for helping me understand how this could work, and as you say, let's hope it doesn't come to that!

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:06 am

GoalCat wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:41 am
Jay Catsby wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:25 pm
GoalCat wrote:

Ahhh, and with your reply, I have the final piece to my puzzle. Thanks for helping me understand how this could work, and as you say, let's hope it doesn't come to that!
The 5 to play 4 is a calendar clock assuming you don't apply for a redshirt year.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

BDF

Post by BDF » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:22 am

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:06 am

The 5 to play 4 is a calendar clock assuming you don't apply for a redshirt year.
I don't know, and don't need to know, any of the particulars of his situation, but is it possible Luke could still have 3 years of eligibility?
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:27 am

BDF wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:22 am
collegecoach8502 wrote:

I don't know, and don't need to know, any of the particulars of his situation, but is it possible Luke could still have 3 years of eligibility?
You don't need to know.

BDF

Post by BDF » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:13 am

wildforthecats wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:27 am
BDF wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:

You don't need to know.

If you mean what I think you mean, that’s really disappointing.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:14 am

BDF wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:13 am
wildforthecats wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:27 am
BDF wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:

You don't need to know.

If you mean what I think you mean, that’s really disappointing.
No, just messing with the BDL wanna be.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:59 am

BDF wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:

He most likely would have 2 years left. Possibly a 3rd year with a medical redshirt, but guessing he played in too many games for that. Also, depending on his academic standing when and if he decides to come back could also determine his eligibility left (or if in fact he's eligible to play right away anyways). There are way too many variables to even guess the possibilities. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I care that Luke is healthy. I care that Luke is happy. If he can achieve those two things and in a Davidson uniform then I'm overjoyed.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:14 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:59 am
BDF wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:

He most likely would have 2 years left. Possibly a 3rd year with a medical redshirt, but guessing he played in too many games for that. Also, depending on his academic standing when and if he decides to come back could also determine his eligibility left (or if in fact he's eligible to play right away anyways). There are way too many variables to even guess the possibilities. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I care that Luke is healthy. I care that Luke is happy. If he can achieve those two things and in a Davidson uniform then I'm overjoyed.
I would think 3 yes, as Luke only played in 5 games this season.