Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
collegecoach8502

Re: Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

Post by collegecoach8502 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Generally coaches offer a number of players within a talent group. If they have 3 scholarships, some schools may offer 20+ kids. I am guessing Davidson does the same, but probably a narrower group. Regardless, more offers than scholarships available. First 3 to accept are those we welcome in the fall. A coach may make multiple offers to a group and first two guys that accept are the ones go with, all while holding out on the third scholarship for someone special.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

BDL

Post by BDL » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:00 pm

If Dallion (and/or Justice) wanted to be Davidson Wildcats, they’d be Davidson Wildcats. At the end of the day though, I think it’s important to remember that whoever McKillop brings in we will have a competitive team.

Just look at last year, we lost out on our priority big man recruit, Riley Battin, and snagged Luka... pretty good result if you ask me.
Last edited by BDL on Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BDL

Post by BDL » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:04 pm

BDL wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:00 pm
If Dallion (and/or Justice) wanted to be Davidson Wildcats, they’d be Davidson Wildcats. At the end of the day though, I think it’s important to remember that whoever McKillop brings in we will have a competitive team.

Just look at last year, we lost out on our priority big man recruit, Riley Battin, and snagged Luka... pretty good result if you ask me.
Last point: everyone should read this article

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ssion=true.

A lot of guys are gonna pick P6 teams just because they’re big schools. Best of luck to Dallion, Riley Battin, Hunter Tyson, etc but bigger is not always better and Davidson basketball will always be a better program than the Penn States, Boston Colleges, and Northwesterns of the world as long as McKillop is coach (and likely afterwards too).

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:28 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:15 pm
Generally coaches offer a number of players within a talent group. If they have 3 scholarships, some schools may offer 20+ kids. I am guessing Davidson does the same, but probably a narrower group. Regardless, more offers than scholarships available. First 3 to accept are those we welcome in the fall. A coach may make multiple offers to a group and first two guys that accept are the ones go with, all while holding out on the third scholarship for someone special.
I find it instructive to watch the offers and read the tea leaves. If we start making additional offers after a couple of months with recruit 1A, it is likely one of two reasons: 1A has said “no thank you” or 1A has been asked to make a decision so that we can move on to 1b. This is just the nature of the recruiting beast. 1A is being asked to decide so that we don’t have to move to option 2A in January.

Sir Walter Cat

Post by Sir Walter Cat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:41 pm

BDL wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:04 pm
BDL wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:00 pm

Last point: everyone should read this article

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ssion=true.
Good read. 'You could sit next to Roy Williams and get a good story. But he hasn't slid off an armband in his f'ing career.' Don't know who the anonymous coach is, but bless him.

rbarney

Post by rbarney » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:29 am

Judging from the language, I would doubt the coach was McKillop.

BDF

Post by BDF » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:18 am

rbarney wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:29 am
As well as the cynicism.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:23 am

rbarney wrote:
Disregarding the language, there is nothing in this article that would indicate it is Davidson/Bob
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:14 am

Thanks for the insight, and especially that recruiting diary, very interesting stuff. In reading that, it really hit at the essence of my curiousness with how recruiting "offers" work. Sounds like a Davidson offer is a firm offer. How do the major-major schools finagle "qualified offers"? I mean, you're either offered or not offered ... unless the coaches are flat-out telling kids that they are being given "lower offers" that are contingent upon the response from "higher offers" ... in which case, they are not actually being offered.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:22 am

We've surely had offers before that went away when someone else accepted their offer first. Likely suspects are when announcements are made almost back to back.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:35 am

Yes, but the distinction appears to be that Davidson's multiple offers are "equal offers", with the first one to accept being given the scholarship. The major-major comparison was of "unequal offers", whereby not every offer-holder actually had the ability to accept a scholarship by simply saying "yes". If they did say "yes", the "lower offers" would be told that they had to wait until others decided.

Super excited to see what's next for us!

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:30 pm

My favorite part of that article is the coach looking at another coach from his conference and telling a *reporter* on the record "See that guy? If his house burned down there'd be 11 suspects. He's that guy."
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:43 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:23 am
rbarney wrote:
Disregarding the language, there is nothing in this article that would indicate it is Davidson/Bob
It's definitely not our Bob. The quotes, if verbatim, don't fit the syntax that he normally uses. And even when he is speaking in unguarded moments, he's not dropping F-bombs.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:11 pm

Wildcat92 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:30 pm
My favorite part of that article is the coach looking at another coach from his conference and telling a *reporter* on the record "See that guy? If his house burned down there'd be 11 suspects. He's that guy."
I took that to mean he's from a 12-team conference. That would narrow it down a little bit, at least.

Thanks for sharing, BDL. Fun read.
"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:37 pm

chantillycat wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:11 pm
Wildcat92 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:30 pm
I took that to mean he's from a 12-team conference. That would narrow it down a little bit, at least.

Thanks for sharing, BDL. Fun read.
American
Mid-American
MEAC
Ohio Valley
Pac 12
Sun Belt

Any others?