Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
JoMo

Re: Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

Post by JoMo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:23 am

His uncle had a nice career at NCSU. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... mov-1.html
TCC - trust, commitment, care

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:58 am

I doubt we’re after him. He’s not been hiding under a rock (or in Eastern Europe). If we had shown interest it would be out there somewhere.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:47 pm

Zane Meeks is 6’8”/6’9” with a nice three-point shot. Just won a national championship with Brewster. And has had Ivy interest. Could be an intriguing prospect (to be clear, I have seen nothing connecting him to Davidson).

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9057795/5b ... 0990ae963a

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Another interesting prospect: Kelton Samore.

https://vimeo.com/262150847

(I’m just looking for 2019 bigs this evening—scouring the Verbal Commits pages of schools with similar admissions standards.)

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:56 am

Jared Garcia from St. Thomas More with some impressive athleticism in these highlights.

https://www.thehoophustle.com/news_article/show/967245

Can't find much on his recruitment other than some interest from Iona. I think maybe he's struggled with injuries.

BDL

Post by BDL » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:34 am

Recruiting takes years of relationship building and maintaining. If we haven't had any connection to a kid by the time of his senior spring, we likely aren't going to get him. Instead of speculating, I am just going to trust and see what McKillop comes up with.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:42 am

BDL wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:34 am
Recruiting takes years of relationship building and maintaining. If we haven't had any connection to a kid by the time of his senior spring, we likely aren't going to get him. Instead of speculating, I am just going to trust and see what McKillop comes up with.
Thanks!

EDIT: Adding the text below.

I have been following recruiting for a little while now. So I'm pretty familiar with how it works. "[Y]ears of relationship building and maintaining" is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for recruiting. Davidson was very late in offering each of De'Mon Brooks, Tyler Kalinoski, Jake Belford, and Carter Collins, to name a few recent examples. The coaches worked very hard for a very long time to develop a deep relationship with Luke Maye (among others) to no avail. For instance, nearly twenty years ago I followed Davidson's recruitment of Nicholas Evitmov's uncle, Ilian "Shoush" Evtimov. The 'Cats staff had developed a good relationship with him and thought they had him locked up, then N.C. State swooped (shoushed?) in at the last minute to nab him.

Now is the perfect time to identify uncommitted or decommitted recruits—even guys the coaches have never reached out to before—and add them to the team if the coaches think they can help. I trust the coaches too, but I know that they are scouring all available sources to find talent and won't ignore a talented prospect because they haven't spent "years" cultivating a relationship.

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:58 am

Our 2019 recruiting is done.

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:59 am

Acorn wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:42 am
I have been following recruiting for a little while now.
This is kind of like saying that wftc has a decent memory.
"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

BDL

Post by BDL » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:03 am

Acorn wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:42 am
BDL wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:34 am
Thanks!

EDIT: Adding the text below.

I have been following recruiting for a little while now. So I'm pretty familiar with how it works. "[Y]ears of relationship building and maintaining" is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for recruiting. Davidson was very late in offering each of De'Mon Brooks, Tyler Kalinoski, Jake Belford, and Carter Collins, to name a few recent examples. The coaches worked very hard for a very long time to develop a deep relationship with Luke Maye (among others) to no avail. For instance, nearly twenty years ago I followed Davidson's recruitment of Nicholas Evitmov's uncle, Ilian "Shoush" Evtimov. The 'Cats staff had developed a good relationship with him and thought they had him locked up, then N.C. State swooped (shoushed?) in at the last minute to nab him.

Now is the perfect time to identify uncommitted or decommitted recruits—even guys the coaches have never reached out to before—and add them to the team if the coaches think they can help. I trust the coaches too, but I know that they are scouring all available sources to find talent and won't ignore a talented prospect because they haven't spent "years" cultivating a relationship.
Sure, but how often does a real impact player come out of the blue at the last second? You can name examples but they’re certainly the exception, not the rule. Also, the guys you named aren’t decommits. I would understand it if one of our priority recruits decommited (like if Battin or Hunter decommited late last year) but we have tenuous connections at best to the guys you named.
Last edited by BDL on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:04 am

De'Mon was a decommit. Howard, if memory serves.
"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:06 am

OK.

BDL

Post by BDL » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:08 am

chantillycat wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:04 am
De'Mon was a decommit. Howard, if memory serves.
That’s exactly my point. A decommit is a lot different than a kid who is in his senior spring and hasn’t gotten a ton of interest.

Dan the Tuba Man'15

Post by Dan the Tuba Man'15 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:09 am

TiredCat88 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:58 am
Our 2019 recruiting is done.
Does this mean we have no players other then DK2 coming in, or are any of the other rumored players committed but not announced yet?

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:18 am

"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''