Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
DCA06

Re: Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

Post by DCA06 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 am

While I think Kellan could play 3 well, is he best suited there? Interesting Idea though.
I agree with making 2020 to 2021 guards a priority.

carlyle

Post by carlyle » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:38 am

Kellan may be playing the point, with a mind toward what his best position will be in the NBA, just as we did with another guard about 10 years ago.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:50 am

carlyle wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:38 am
Kellan may be playing the point, with a mind toward what his best position will be in the NBA, just as we did with another guard about 10 years ago.
I think this could prove to be correct. He doesn't look entirely comfortable in that role right now. The ability to get more experience there could also make him lean toward staying all four years. I think he also has the skill set to play the 2 in the NBA, though.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:40 pm

rbarney wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:50 pm
Given that Nate is no longer playing (or even dressing to play), it means that everyone currently playing will be back next year, with another quality addition at forward. That's pretty exciting in itself.
I expect to see Nate in uniform before the week is out.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:41 pm

BDL wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:27 pm
Guards: JAG, Grady, Carter, DCz
Wings: Grady (if necessary), KP, Mike Jones, Frampton
Bigs: Luka, Dusan, Bates, NBY, Kristensen

If Bob wants to play the traditional style, 2 bigs on the floor at once, we should probably bring in one more big but if he wants to do more of what we are doing this year then we probably need one more swingman/wing. Mckillop could also commit to using Grady more on the wing next year which would likely mean adding another ball dominant guard to the fold. There a lot of ways to proceed from here and none of them are bad.
Which scholarship is he using to bring in another big?
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

catborn'bred

Post by catborn'bred » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:17 pm

I only count 12 on scholarship. Grady is listed twice. I am assuming that Bates Jones is now on scholarship.

BDF

Post by BDF » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:24 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:41 pm
BDL wrote:

If Bob wants to play the traditional style, 2 bigs on the floor at once, we should probably bring in one more big but if he wants to do more of what we are doing this year then we probably need one more swingman/wing. Mckillop could also commit to using Grady more on the wing next year which would likely mean adding another ball dominant guard to the fold. There a lot of ways to proceed from here and none of them are bad.
We haven't done back of the envelope scholarship math in a while, and I'm unclear if Bates is on scholarship. I know he was a walk on last year and we speculated he might move to scholarship this year, but I don't remember ever seeing confirmation.

My back of the envelope has
Ekwu ('19)
JAG ('20)
Pritchett ('20)
Duca ('20)
Grady ('21)
Collins ('21)
Dz('22)
Luke ('22)
Luca ('22)
NBY ('22)
M. Jones ('23)
Kristensen ('23)

B Jones (?) ('21)

If that is all true we have 1 left.

All that brings me back to Collegecoach's question which I'll answer with a question: Are you implying the final scholarship for next year has been offered, accepted but not yet announced? If so, in what language will forthcoming hints be made?
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:27 pm

BDF wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:24 pm
collegecoach8502 wrote:
BDL wrote:

We haven't done back of the envelope scholarship math in a while, and I'm unclear if Bates is on scholarship. I know he was a walk on last year and we speculated he might move to scholarship this year, but I don't remember ever seeing confirmation.

Ekwu ('19)
JAG ('20)
Pritchett ('20)
Duca ('20)
Grady ('21)
Collins ('21)
Dz('22)
Luke ('22)
Luca ('22)
NBY ('22)
M. Jones ('23)
Kristensen ('23)

B Jones (?) ('21)

All that brings me back to Collegecoach's question which I'll answer with a question: Are you implying the final scholarship for next year has been offered, accepted but not yet announced? If so, in what language will forthcoming hints be made?
Everyone listed is on scholarship.

BDF

Post by BDF » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:37 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:27 pm
BDF wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:24 pm
collegecoach8502 wrote:
BDL wrote:

Ekwu ('19)
JAG ('20)
Pritchett ('20)
Duca ('20)
Grady ('21)
Collins ('21)
Dz('22)
Luke ('22)
Luca ('22)
NBY ('22)
M. Jones ('23)
Kristensen ('23)

B Jones (?) ('21)

Everyone listed is on scholarship.
You answered one question but not the other two. Not even a 8-)
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

Jay Catsby

Post by Jay Catsby » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:41 pm

I believe many in this thread are referring to the mythical "13th scholarship." Though it is rumored to be very legal and very cool, I'm not sure DU has ever used it.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:21 pm

maybe bates does the right thing when his bro gets big time NFL QB money. Give scholly back or split for someone/team need.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 pm

I’m not following this math thread. I can get the ones where we deduce the ages of children from some unrelated street address. But I don’t understand why we would need to wheedle money from former Duke football players or anything.

Men’s basketball is allowed 14 scholarships, right? We are currently using 12. We have promised one for next year, and one senior will graduate, which leaves us back to two scholarships not spoken for. Right? What am I not following in this discussion?

I realize that sometimes Bob likes to keep one in the fridge strategically.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:51 pm

stevelee wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 pm
I’m not following this math thread. I can get the ones where we deduce the ages of children from some unrelated street address. But I don’t understand why we would need to wheedle money from former Duke football players or anything.

Men’s basketball is allowed 14 scholarships, right? We are currently using 12. We have promised one for next year, and one senior will graduate, which leaves us back to two scholarships not spoken for. Right? What am I not following in this discussion?

I realize that sometimes Bob likes to keep one in the fridge strategically.
13 scholarships.

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:07 pm

For clarity: expect that there may or may not be a mythical or actual 13th scholarship awarded to a player who is or is not currently on the roster and who may or may not currently reside in the U.S. Maybe.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:57 pm

Thanks for the clarifications.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ