BDF

Post by BDF » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 am

MrMac and I over here like:

Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:46 am

EDITED: I misunderstood a situation and overreacted. Apologies to collegecoach and I appreciate his professional handling of the situation.
Last edited by Acorn on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:06 am

BDF wrote:Who is Burger Alexander?^
A player with a name like that *has* to be on some sort of McDonald's all-something team.
"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:24 am

Acorn wrote:Edited - removed quote as originator edited his initial post
My apologies....I was being sincere when I thought it was funny post and made a brain fart. Wasn't thinking one way or another whether people knew who you were, just typed your name instead of Acorn. Deleted the post and edited your post to hopefully limit the damage. Your posts haven't offended me in the least, was giving a counter argument to your concerns. Valid concerns, only stating that in my opinion we have gone down that path of unsubstantiated rumors in the past.

Trust me, there have been a lot more posts by others that have put me over the edge and haven't said there name. Yours wasn't one of them.

Tim Cowie
Last edited by collegecoach8502 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks, collegecoach. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:29 am

Acorn wrote:EDITED: I misunderstood a situation and overreacted. Apologies to collegecoach and I appreciate his professional handling of the situation.
No apology needed. I would have been upset as well. I was the one that screwed up.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:32 am

Grayson Allen is probably not looking to transfer, since he’s a senior. But could someone tell me, who does not pay attention to Duke basketball, why he is so widely disliked? I saw a tweet that someone had put his name on a picture of Ted Cruz. Others were cheering his exit from college basketball.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

chantillycat

Post by chantillycat » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:37 am

"... coming out of the murky, dreary jungle of untutored mediocrity."

rbarney

Grayson Allen

Post by rbarney » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:37 am

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:39 am

stevelee wrote:Grayson Allen is probably not looking to transfer, since he’s a senior. But could someone tell me, who does not pay attention to Duke basketball, why he is so widely disliked? I saw a tweet that someone had put his name on a picture of Ted Cruz. Others were cheering his exit from college basketball.
https://youtu.be/tcEq7xhxD4g
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:40 am

stevelee wrote:Grayson Allen is probably not looking to transfer, since he’s a senior. But could someone tell me, who does not pay attention to Duke basketball, why he is so widely disliked? I saw a tweet that someone had put his name on a picture of Ted Cruz. Others were cheering his exit from college basketball.
He has made physical contact with players over the years outside of a normal athletic reaction to a play. Specifically he kicked Santa Ana from Elon during a game.

He was disciplined by Duke last year and although one could argue that the discipline wasn't harsh enough, the public scrutiny certainly has been.

I like him as a player and for the most part, as a competitor. I believe that he has an emotional trigger that probably goes back to his childhood days. Probably a demon he has been fighting since he played rec ball as a kid. I have seen it in other kids, some who have played on my own children's team. Based on his reaction on the bench following the Elon incident, I believe it is more of an emotional problem that he has tried to control for years, more so than it is a act of being a "dirty" player. Some may not find a difference between the two, but I have seen kids "flip" for the weirdest reasons and also know that they are the nicest kid on the block. They simply don't know why they react negatively in some cases and are embarrassed not only by their act, but more so because they can't control when it happen. One of our kids fouled out of the first quarter of a rec game and 3 of the fouls were a result of his reactions when someone beat him for a layup and for rebounds (pushed them in frustration). Because stupid rec rules require the kid to stay in and play an entire quarter before subs, we couldn't take him out. He finished the game on the bench and was in tears the entire time.

Just my $.02 cents
Last edited by collegecoach8502 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tennis08tarheels

Post by tennis08tarheels » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:31 pm

MrMac wrote:
BDF wrote:Who is Burger Alexander?^
At least it's not a hot dog.
Sorry, my post might have been more appropriate for the Coaching Carousel thread. Ultimately though, could have a major impact on our recruiting class. :D

BDF

Post by BDF » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:02 pm

If you pick the right two pictures, Allen looks like Cruz. Others here have documented his propensity to trip and hip check.

It may be simply that Duke keeps very few players around for four years anymore, so he's the only recognizable Duke player for which general Duke scorn to be directed.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:37 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
He has made physical contact with players over the years outside of a normal athletic reaction to a play. Specifically he kicked Santa Ana from Elon during a game.

He was disciplined by Duke last year and although one could argue that the discipline wasn't harsh enough, the public scrutiny certainly has been.

I like him as a player and for the most part, as a competitor. I believe that he has an emotional trigger that probably goes back to his childhood days. Probably a demon he has been fighting since he played rec ball as a kid. I have seen it in other kids, some who have played on my own children's team. Based on his reaction on the bench following the Elon incident, I believe it is more of an emotional problem that he has tried to control for years, more so than it is a act of being a "dirty" player. Some may not find a difference between the two, but I have seen kids "flip" for the weirdest reasons and also know that they are the nicest kid on the block. They simply don't know why they react negatively in some cases and are embarrassed not only by their act, but more so because they can't control when it happen. One of our kids fouled out of the first quarter of a rec game and 3 of the fouls were a result of his reactions when someone beat him for a layup and for rebounds (pushed them in frustration). Because stupid rec rules require the kid to stay in and play an entire quarter before subs, we couldn't take him out. He finished the game on the bench and was in tears the entire time.

Just my $.02 cents
You may be right regarding the underlying cause but tripping or kicking a player is a dirty play, regardless of the emotional status of the perpetrator.