Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu May 04, 2017 8:20 am

MrMac wrote:
BDF wrote:
BaseRich306 wrote:Michael Jacobson, Nebraska transfer, is visiting Davidson May 8th, per Jon Rothstein.
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =210029743

6' 9" 239lbs. Started all 34 games as a sophomore. Academic All-Big Ten.
A worthy Cave successor....
May 8th, get him a Coke at the Snappy Lunch with Andy Taylor. 131th anniversary of Coca Cola's birth.

rbarney

Michael Jacobson

Post by rbarney » Thu May 04, 2017 8:52 am

His academic honors make him a good fit for Davidson and he would become eligible just as we will have a greater need for forwards.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Thu May 04, 2017 9:36 am

Highlight of MJ's season last year, hitting a game-winning three against then-ranked No. 7 Wisconsin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCooD5ckcVg

Looks like per his quotes he was more unhappy with how he was being used at Nebraska than anything, like his relationship with the coach and playing time was not an issue. He was forced to play inside while he wants to play inside-out and have the ball in his hands more on the perimeter.

71cat

Post by 71cat » Thu May 04, 2017 11:41 am

Does does he sit out a year? If so, he sounds like just the guy to fill the void left by Peyton's graduation.
"That little sucker can shoot, man!"
Driesell, C. "Lefty" (1931-)

BaseRich306

Post by BaseRich306 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:08 pm

MJ would be the prototypical Bob McKillop big - he would be perfect in our system and would blossom into a future pro.

The question is whether he wants the culture change from a Nebraska to a DU. Obviously, everyone on this board could go on for hours about why the Davidson experience is so damn special compared to a large state university.

The contrast between Davidson and Wichita State, Colorado, and Clemson will be very clear. Hopefully MJ decides -- like so many others before him have --
that Davidson offers things nowhere else does.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu May 04, 2017 12:17 pm

71cat wrote:Does does he sit out a year? If so, he sounds like just the guy to fill the void left by Peyton's graduation.
Yes, he would sit out 2017-2018.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Thu May 04, 2017 1:24 pm

One stat about MJ I found reaaaally interesting, from his player page on Nebraska's site:
Was one of NU's top rebounders during Big Ten play, ranking 10th in the conference with 6.5 per game, while ranking second in the Big Ten with 3.3 offensive rebounds per game
That is playing ~24 minutes per game, and in a conference that includes some of the best rebounding bigs in the country, including the best rebounder in the country Caleb Swanigan.

Mephisto

Post by Mephisto » Thu May 04, 2017 2:24 pm

I would hope that he seeks out Magarity in the process, to get Magoo's perspective on going from P-5 school to Davidson and how his experience has been a positive one.

wildcat2001

Post by wildcat2001 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:46 pm

BaseRich306 wrote:The question is whether he wants the culture change from a Nebraska to a DU. Obviously, everyone on this board could go on for hours about why the Davidson experience is so damn special compared to a large state university.

The contrast between Davidson and Wichita State, Colorado, and Clemson will be very clear. Hopefully MJ decides -- like so many others before him have --
Notwithstanding the obvious, objective differences between the University of Nebraska and Davidson, and admitting up front that I have no direct experience, I actually have always gotten a really good feeling about Nebraska. As in, I sense there's a wholesomeness that would attract good kids there, especially athletes, in the same way that good kids are attracted to Davidson, or - say - how Davidson basketball fans can appreciate what Bo Ryan created at Wisconsin (not style of play so much as culture).

Maybe there's a more natural affinity between a Nebraska kid and Davidson than would seem apparent at first glance, than, say, a kid who chose Wichita State, Colorado or Clemson who wants to transfer.
"that big jug headed gent can't deal with brooks down low" - Gerdy from Thirty

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:03 pm

I guess it will come down to; stay in the midwest; or learn from Bob, get a lot of playing time and be in the southeast.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:42 pm

BR306: I will not go on for hours about how special the DU experience will be for this young lad. Instead, we should all tell him that Camelot needs tall Knights of the Round Ball. Nothing could be better than pulling the sword out of the stone in a mythical Kingdom.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Thu May 04, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm willing to bet Nebraska doesn't have self-scheduled, nonproctored exams. He'll get to see how DC treats students, and what DC expects from students, while he visits.

sundance

Post by sundance » Thu May 04, 2017 6:22 pm

wildcat2001 wrote:
BaseRich306 wrote:The question is whether he wants the culture change from a Nebraska to a DU. Obviously, everyone on this board could go on for hours about why the Davidson experience is so damn special compared to a large state university.

Notwithstanding the obvious, objective differences between the University of Nebraska and Davidson, and admitting up front that I have no direct experience, I actually have always gotten a really good feeling about Nebraska. As in, I sense there's a wholesomeness that would attract good kids there, especially athletes, in the same way that good kids are attracted to Davidson, or - say - how Davidson basketball fans can appreciate what Bo Ryan created at Wisconsin (not style of play so much as culture).

Maybe there's a more natural affinity between a Nebraska kid and Davidson than would seem apparent at first glance, than, say, a kid who chose Wichita State, Colorado or Clemson who wants to transfer.

Your 'feelings' are spot on, Wildcat 2001.

Whether young Mr. Jacobson is aware or not, Davidson would be a terrific choice relative to Nebraska. Aside from just a few unfortunate misses with student/athletes over the years, Nebraska is a terrific academic institution with a midwestern culture that is down to earth and rock solid. He would love Davidson, both academically and athletically.

I do have 'the direct experience.' I was born there. My parents were as well. As well as their parents. And their parents' parents. We slipped in a first generation Swede along the way who became my great-grandmother.

Her last name?

Jacobson, of course.

The young lad and I are related - somewhere along the genealogical tree.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri May 05, 2017 2:58 am

Mephisto wrote:I would hope that he seeks out Magarity in the process, to get Magoo's perspective on going from P-5 school to Davidson and how his experience has been a positive one.
I wish he could talk to Clint Mann, who transfered to DC from a big Midwestern state school, starred at DC, and loved his DC experience. Better yet, someone needs to send MJ a video of Clint's senior banquet speech.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri May 05, 2017 4:25 am

That speech could be standard fare for all recruits. The annual planted question to the freshman after Red and Black, "Why did you come to a Davidson?" apparently is very effective, too. The answers make me want to reenroll myself.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ