No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:12 pm

kevin mcmahon wrote:
slowcat95 wrote:I find it embarrassing when D Block does that at Davidson games. It feels insensitive, especially given how much our team and school benefit from student athletes from other countries. But I wouldn't seek to ban it anymore than I would seek to enforce standing for the national anthem.
And you will be defended regardless. RLTW.
I am grateful for our defenders of peace and liberty. I descend from a long line of proud servicemembers, and would have been one myself were it not for height requirements.

That said, whether you stand or sit for the national anthem and or appreciate/are embarrassed by chants of USA at non-national-team sporting events, it's not about the military.

Please believe my sincerity when I say thank you for your service.
she/hers

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:22 pm

I see nothing wrong with chanting, "USA....USA....USA....USA..."

Mephisto

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Post by Mephisto » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Whether the chant is innocuous enthusiasm or, more often to my ear, bellowed triumphalism, I find it has little to do with authentic patriotism.

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:39 pm

I tend to be enthusiastic and triumphal regarding the USA and I don't feel the least impulse to be apologetic about it. American exceptionalism ... yes!

I suspect most foreigners who are here and the millions and millions more who want to be here (sometimes risking their lives in the process) must have some exceptionally positive thoughts about the USA too. I know that's true of my wife who is a naturalized citizen from Korea as well as scores of our immigrant friends. They will bellow "USA" louder than most native citizens. And it's pride and love of our country. Not some conjured up notion of what others judge to be patriotism.
"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

wildforthecats

Re: Dr. Samuel Johnson

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Mephisto wrote:Whether the chant is innocuous enthusiasm or, more often to my ear, bellowed triumphalism, I find it has little to do with authentic patriotism.
It's hard to think like a 20 year. It has been too long ago. :)

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:02 pm

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote: And it's pride and love of our country. Not some conjured up notion of what others judge to be patriotism.
That's the thing though: we all get to decide for ourselves what feels patriotic to us. I view humility as an important expression of patriotism. And so I get embarrassed at the chants from D block. I wish they wouldn't do because I like to think things that happen at Davidson are a reflection on me, and that behavior it doesn't fit my style of patriotism.

And I can see how everyone might not feel the same as your wife. Note: one need not be an immigrant to feel like our country is hostile to them.
she/hers

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:40 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote: And it's pride and love of our country. Not some conjured up notion of what others judge to be patriotism.
That's the thing though: we all get to decide for ourselves what feels patriotic to us. I view humility as an important expression of patriotism. And so I get embarrassed at the chants from D block. I wish they wouldn't do because I like to think things that happen at Davidson are a reflection on me, and that behavior it doesn't fit my style of patriotism.

And I can see how everyone might not feel the same as your wife. Note: one need not be an immigrant to feel like our country is hostile to them.
Seriously? Well I'm sorry that it rubs you the wrong way, but as far as I'm concerned, they can do it all game long.

I suppose you would go and spend a million dollars on trying to research how our dear college embraced race and slavery 100 years ago and how we can sing Kum by Ah to everyone in 2018...oh wait...

Frickin' ridiculous and that's why the college won't get another dime from me under this current administration.

Airball50

Post by Airball50 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:15 pm

"[/quote]Seriously? Well I'm sorry that it rubs you the wrong way, but as far as I'm concerned, they can do it all game long.

I suppose you would go and spend a million dollars on trying to research how our dear college embraced race and slavery 100 years ago and how we can sing Kum by Ah to everyone in 2018...oh wait...

Frickin' ridiculous and that's why the college won't get another dime from me under this current administration.[/quote]"

Uh, 100 years ago was 1917. The Civil War ended 52 years prior. I assume you weren't a history major............... And, for my 2 cents' worth, one of the reasons issues like this remain such a sore point is that people refuse to talk about them civilly. Not to name names, of course.

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:08 pm

I think we're all mad that the schedule came out and we found out the season is still two months away (sorry if that's wrong I'm not a math major). It's almost like y'all forgot that "we play a fair game, we play a square game, and we win in everything." Take that for some sublime exceptionalism. What we need is the prophetic Reed (RIP) to make some silly koolaid laced prediction about the outcome of the season to bring us all together in the safe space of joyous post Curry ectasy. That will keep us focused on an idea that will bring us all together: "yes we can."

TiredCat88

Post by TiredCat88 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:13 pm

TiredCat88 wrote:
Airball50 wrote:"
Seriously? Well I'm sorry that it rubs you the wrong way, but as far as I'm concerned, they can do it all game long.

Frickin' ridiculous and that's why the college won't get another dime from me under this current administration.
"

Uh, 100 years ago was 1917. The Civil War ended 52 years prior. I assume you weren't a history major............... And, for my 2 cents' worth, one of the reasons issues like this remain such a sore point is that people refuse to talk about them civilly. Not to name names, of course.
I know when the Civil War ended...perhaps you should read what I said, no where did I mention in my "figure of speech" the Civil War. You assumed because I mentioned race and slavery that I was referring to the Civil War. We can have as much open discussion about race as we want. We don't need to spend over a million dollars on it to make people feel good about Davidson's history. We also don't need to be so politically correct that we get our underwear in a knot, when a bunch of kids chant USA USA.

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Actually 102 years ago was when Woodrow Wilson embraced slavery, the KKK, and racism when he made Birth of a Nation the first movie to be screened in the White House. But I don't think the Quillen Commission will find that Davidson embraced slavery in those days or much else that we don't already know.

Skip the commission Just make a plaque with some quotes from the Frontis Johnston REMARKS AT FRESHMAN ORIENTATION -- September 3, 1983 , have a ceremony, and declare the issue settled.
"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:58 pm

Dear Lord: Please allow the season to start now, or take me RIGHT now :!: :!:

Embarrassed by 18 year olds having fun chanting for fun at a bb game - I never expected to live long enuff to witness that level of self absorption. :oops: :oops:

In the Brave New World, only the more equal pigs will be allowed to have fun.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Posting something in the "No Limit on Stupid" thread when people of the same community from the same college community disagree should be a sign that the topic does not belong there. Just because I might think something that, for example, our president does that is beyond the pale, I wouldn't consider posting it here because I assume there are other members of this community who support that president, and it would clearly be an attempt to anger or inflame board members. The same goes for posts that exclaim "why are people so sensitive," which have the same effect when clearly other members have a different perspective.

It seems like this thread was meant to be for dumb sports stories or making fun of the tar holes but has evolved into something worse, and should be evidence that while there is of course a time and place for these types of conversations, it isn't on a board where we celebrate the school and sports teams we admire in a thread designated for things that are "Stupid."

Just my thoughts.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:34 pm

CUN: Please note that MITI authored the original post exclusively with regard to a school in California that warned students that chants of USA could unintentionally hurt snowflake listeners, so the inappropriate invocation of DU sentiments was the hurtful action of a subsequent poster. This topic definitely belonged in this topic at its inception.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

cat44

Post by cat44 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Non Athletics is a great place for these discussions.