No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
Dr. Bliss

Re: No limit on stupid

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:50 am

MrMac wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:32 am
A religious experience, no doubt.
Sort of a study of Steve Lee's color wheel. A slightly different shade upon the subsequent viewings.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:46 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:10 pm
I took a close look (several close looks, actually) at a toilet bowl freshman year after downing a bunch of that purple stuff somebody mixed up down on Patterson Court.
Red for me.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

wchDr

Post by wchDr » Tue May 02, 2023 4:50 pm

stevelee wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:41 am
JCDC wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:54 am
The title of this article seems to fit here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/26/maga ... thics.html
The point about human perception and photo results is a valid one. When I edit photos a lot of time, I adjust things to look like how I thought they looked at the time. If the wedding was not spent with everybody staring at the pink hair, then there is no reason for videos to imply that they did.

There have been scenic shots where I have toned down the blue of the water or cut back on saturation in sunsets because the photos as shot looked phony. I adjusted to look more like I perceived things at the time. A real artist will convey how one felt at the time and maybe tell a story around that. For still photos, I shoot Raw files most of the time. There is no objective reality there, just a bunch of numbers. Software interprets those numbers according to various settings. There are sliders that let you adjust from those assumptions as you bring the numbers in to form a picture. If you shoot JPEGs, you let the camera make those decisions for you, from which it creates the picture. Canon, Fuji, Sony, and Nikon, for example, will use different assumptions behind their processes.

I shot video at a women's game to see how my newest camera would do under that lighting. The opponents wore red uniforms, and our team wore pink. That was colorful in person, and should look so in video. The summer pick-up videos I've shot under the old lights, looked too greenish or cyan using auto white balance. The sea of empty seats on the opposite side made the camera think that the lighting was too red, when in reality it was already sort of greenish. While my audience (i. e. y'all) preferred quick to good, I still balanced the color a bit, working against the somewhat spotty spectrum of the lights.

You might recall that I used calibrated test shots of the Colt 45 cap as a basis for editing the photo of Skog and me. Objectively, the cap in the photo came out within 1º on the color wheel to the right shade of red. Luckily, that adjustment didn't make our faces some odd color in the process. I did lighten his face a bit, since the shadow from the cap made it look too dark in the photo, though one wouldn't have perceived it that way in real life. I didn't make myself taller, because the photo does depict the relative heights one would have seen. (Obviously I knew you guys weren't interested in the precise shade of red, but I often use various situations as opportunities for learning how to do things. And if you have a cap and hold it up to the picture on your monitor, the colors will vary, given the settings of your monitor and the color of light on the cap at the time.)

So toning the pink hair down in video and photos to look more like reality seemed at the time is not problematic to me.

(And OK, you might be thinking that my using the linked article as a springboard for this essay is in itself testing the limits of stupid.)
One of my favorite classes here is when I get to do a little color science in our Physical Nature of Light and Sound course. Getting a bunch of non-science majors to think about why our additive primaries are RGB and how a blue shirt will look very nearly black in light that is mainly from the red-yellow end of the spectrum is always fun (and explains why it is so doggone hard to pick out one pari of blue socks from a drawer full of black ones in a dimly lit room...).

Don't usually talk much about hair color, though.
1666, 150 Belk, 111 Little, 103 Little, 103 Duke

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:38 am

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

TOK

Post by TOK » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:08 am

i77cat wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:38 am
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/381 ... aryl-morey

That'll work.
It amazes me that teams keep paying James Harding and Kyrie Irving. Paying tens of millions of dollars to bring cancer into your locker room doesn't make much sense, unless you are tanking which is what it looks like the Mavericks are getting ready to do.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:24 am

TOK wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:08 am
i77cat wrote:

That'll work.
It amazes me that teams keep paying James Harding and Kyrie Irving. Paying tens of millions of dollars to bring cancer into your locker room doesn't make much sense, unless you are tanking which is what it looks like the Mavericks are getting ready to do.
Title of the thread says it all.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:00 am

If you put Harden, Irving, Chris Paul, and Westbrook together and let them play 4-on-1 against a 5th-grader, they'd lose. Odds are that one wouldn't show, one would be injured, and the other two would spend the game arguing. Good basketball players, though.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:12 pm

i77cat wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:00 am
If you put Harden, Irving, Chris Paul, and Westbrook together and let them play 4-on-1 against a 5th-grader, they'd lose. Odds are that one wouldn't show, one would be injured, and the other two would spend the game arguing. Good basketball players, though.
:lol:
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:14 pm

i77cat wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:00 am
They all can lift bad teams up and drag good teams down.

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:56 pm

Steph and the GSWs kept Westbrook, Paul, and Hardin out of a couple of NBA Finals.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.

TOK

Post by TOK » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:22 am

:wink:
wildforthecats wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:24 am
TOK wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:08 am
i77cat wrote:

That'll work.
Title of the thread says it all.
:wink:

TOK

Post by TOK » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:23 am

Cat Forever wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:56 pm
Steph and the GSWs kept Westbrook, Paul, and Hardin out of a couple of NBA Finals.
Yes, but will Paul keep Steph out of the next NBA finals?

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:41 am

If he plays more than 5 minutes/game he can destroy anything. Odds are that he'll play 15+, put up great numbers, be a superb teammate, have the whole team humming like a finely tuned muscle car. Then fall apart in the postseason. CP3 gonna CP3.

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:32 pm

CP3 isn't the problem.

His hamstrings are.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:50 pm

His hamstrings were healthy once. He's never won a title. At any level. Regardless of what you surround him with. I hope that changes this year. And that I win Powerball.