2018 A10 Champions!
wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:13 pm

Oh those SoCon Saturday nights.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:32 am

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:48 am

Given the genetic factors involved, people should choose their parents more carefully.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
i77cat wrote:"I played better than what the score indicates..."--Tiger after his opening round score of even par at The Open. In truth, he played exactly as well as the score indicates. That's kinda why they keep score. The guys who played better than what Tiger's score indicates are the 31 guys who finished under par.
Tiger is hitting it well and putting it well for the most part. He's losing a few shots to the right.

I think he made a tactical mistake in his second round by continuing to play so many irons off the tee on a course that was much softer due to the rain. I think to get into the top ten he will have to challenge the golf course a little more, which I expect him to do in the next round.

I'll stick with my top-ten prediction.
Congrats Dr. Bliss.
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:06 pm

i77cat wrote:He can compete. He just can't win. I'll buy if he wins. I'll even buy if he finishes in the top 3. You buy if he isn't in the top 10.
I was tasting that free beer for awhile. Tiger finished T-6.

Really, I think his swing looks better and freer than it has in years. The putting seems to be improved with the new putter and the short-game issues, chipping and pitching, seem to be behind him. His game looks to be still on the upswing.

Those two bad drives on the back side cost him.

He's definitely got enough game to win again. Win a major? I don't know about that, but the British is probably his best chance, and should continue to be for several more years.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:07 pm

Tiger played better than I thought he possibly could. I still think he can compete and that he can win lesser tournaments. Win majors? I don't think so. But maybe he'll shock me and get back to that point. I just don't think he's good enough to beat a top field. Bliss and I set a very narrow range where nobody had to buy beer. Tiger nailed it.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Tiger can play in the Masters and PGA forever. He can play in the British Open until he is 60. If he can win any tournament on the Tour, he'll be eligible for more US Opens. After seeing how long he can play in the other 3 Majors, I was too lazy to look up how long he can play in the US Open, but he's still exempt.

He's approaching the "Age Wall" for Majors. He's older, 42, than Player and Palmer when they won their last Major. Trevino was 44 and Nicklaus was 46. Ray Floyd was pretty old when he won his last Major. Trevino might be a good comparable because he has back issues, too.

Much like the fraternities at Faber College, each of the Majors has unique characteristics which help Tiger*. He's won the Masters many times and has a lifetime exemption. The US Open winner usually has a high score, meaning close to par. The British Open has a weaker field, substituting more European and Asian Tour players over PGA Tour players, an exemption until he's 60, and a higher score. The PGA field includes a bunch of club pros and a lifetime exemption. John Daly is expected to play in this year's PGA.

The winner of the Masters and PGA usually need to shoot 10 under or better. That could be tough.

If Tiger doesn't win the PGA, he needs to play in the GGO. He played very well there in 2015 and a win will boost his confidence and Fed Ex Cup standing. I know a great place for pre and post GGO partying this year.

*Chantilly or MM15 need to post Dean Wormer's response to Greg Marmalard's obsequious statement about Faber's fraternities.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Knowledge is good.

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Is that "Put a sock in it, boy, or you'll be out of here like **** through a goose"?

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:21 pm

"They're each outstanding in their own way."

"Cut the horse s**t, son......"
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:10 pm

DC69 has the scene nailed.

Dean Wormer: "Greg, What's the worst fraternity on campus?"

Greg Marmalard: "Well, that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way."

Wormer: "Cut the horses**t son! I've got their disciplinary files right here. Who dropped a truckload of fizzies into the varsity swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear! Every spring, the toilets explode!"

Marnalard: "You're talking about Delta, sir."

Wormer: "Of course I'm talking about Delta, you twerp!"

Wormer was a worthy adversary for the Deltas. Marmalard was brown nosing imbecile.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Like him or not, Tiger is the face of golf. More folks watch if he is in the hunt..

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:42 pm

citycat wrote:DC69 has the scene nailed.

Dean Wormer: "Greg, What's the worst fraternity on campus?"

Greg Marmalard: "Well, that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way."

Wormer: "Cut the horses**t son! I've got their disciplinary files right here. Who dropped a truckload of fizzies into the varsity swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear! Every spring, the toilets explode!"

Marnalard: "You're talking about Delta, sir."

Wormer: "Of course I'm talking about Delta, you twerp!"

Wormer was a worthy adversary for the Deltas. Marmalard was brown nosing imbecile.
Stork was the rock star of the bunch. Too bad he fell off a cliff in Hawaii back in 1980.

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:02 pm

Doug Kenney's significant other was actress Kathryn Walker. She owned the Charlestown Chiefs in Slap Shot and was married to James Taylor after Carly Simon.
Last edited by citycat on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Walter Cat

Post by Sir Walter Cat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:24 pm

wildforthecats wrote:Stork was the rock star of the bunch. Too bad he fell off a cliff in Hawaii back in 1980.
I believe the consensus among friends is that he committed suicide, although with mordant humor, his National Lampoon co-workers have claimed he fell looking for a place to jump.