No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
BDF

Post by BDF » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:49 am

slowcat95 wrote:"UNC emails published by The News & Observer last year showed that history department administrators worried about “blowback” and “a fight on our hands” if Smith’s course [which included a discussion of the cheating scandal] was offered in 2017-18. It was kept off the schedule."

http://amp.newsobserver.com/news/local/ ... 84725.html

The upshot: work at UNC and have some thoughts about the athletics scandal? Keep them to yourself.
Contrarian take: writing an email when your email is subject to a public records request, and then tipping off the press that they should ask for certain emails, is a great way to go on the record without going on the record.

“I’m sorry Ms. reporter, I’m not able to talk to you on the record. Off the record, you may want to request any history department emails dealing with scheduling grievances.”
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

BDF

Post by BDF » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:57 am

i77cat wrote:"I played better than what the score indicates..."--Tiger after his opening round score of even par at The Open. In truth, he played exactly as well as the score indicates. That's kinda why they keep score. The guys who played better than what Tiger's score indicates are the 31 guys who finished under par.
I’ll take up for Tiger on this one, because I’ve both scored better than I’ve played and played better than I scored.

Best example, my first hole in one was on a Pitch and putt course when I was in high school. I lifted my head and skulled the ball. It bounced about 18 times before hitting the pin and falling in. On that hole, I scored better than I played. Conversely, there have been times when I’ve hit the ball exactly where I wanted, how I wanted, and a gust of wind or a bounce off an unseen sprinkler head put me in trouble and hurt my score.

I think there are few sports where there is a perfect correlation between your input (the quality of your play) and your results (the quality of your score). I suspect that Tiger was saying he was happy with his inputs, if not his results.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:45 am

BDF wrote:
slowcat95 wrote:"UNC emails published by The News & Observer last year showed that history department administrators worried about “blowback” and “a fight on our hands” if Smith’s course [which included a discussion of the cheating scandal] was offered in 2017-18. It was kept off the schedule."

The upshot: work at UNC and have some thoughts about the athletics scandal? Keep them to yourself.
Contrarian take: writing an email when your email is subject to a public records request, and then tipping off the press that they should ask for certain emails, is a great way to go on the record without going on the record.

“I’m sorry Ms. reporter, I’m not able to talk to you on the record. Off the record, you may want to request any history department emails dealing with scheduling grievances.”
BDF, I think we're in agreement on that point.

My beef is that the university admin argue fervently in favor of academic freedom, but then smack down any academics (in this case, a professor whose syllabus included discussions on cheating in athletics) whose exercise of that freedom questions the integrity and sanctity of the atheltic department.

It's a perplexing prioritization for a university that once stood as an exemplar of public higher education that also had above-average sports teams. These days, they tout their sports teams (most of whom perform at average levels) and also offer some academic degrees on the side.
she/hers

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:42 am

i77cat wrote:"I played better than what the score indicates..."--Tiger after his opening round score of even par at The Open. In truth, he played exactly as well as the score indicates. That's kinda why they keep score. The guys who played better than what Tiger's score indicates are the 31 guys who finished under par.
Tiger is hitting it well and putting it well for the most part. He's losing a few shots to the right.

I think he made a tactical mistake in his second round by continuing to play so many irons off the tee on a course that was much softer due to the rain. I think to get into the top ten he will have to challenge the golf course a little more, which I expect him to do in the next round.

I'll stick with my top-ten prediction.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:49 am

BDF wrote:
I’ll take up for Tiger on this one, because I’ve both scored better than I’ve played and played better than I scored.

Best example, my first hole in one was on a Pitch and putt course when I was in high school. I lifted my head and skulled the ball. It bounced about 18 times before hitting the pin and falling in. On that hole, I scored better than I played. Conversely, there have been times when I’ve hit the ball exactly where I wanted, how I wanted, and a gust of wind or a bounce off an unseen sprinkler head put me in trouble and hurt my score.

I think there are few sports where there is a perfect correlation between your input (the quality of your play) and your results (the quality of your score). I suspect that Tiger was saying he was happy with his inputs, if not his results.
Tiger believes in himself. That's nice, but it makes him say crazy things. A few tournaments ago, a reporter asked Tiger if he thought he could win again. Tiger's answer was something like "Are you serious? Did you see how I'm hitting the ball?" Unfortunately for Tiger, he isn't a recreational golfer. His rounds are judged by the score, not by how good his shots look, feel, or sound. If he wants to win again, he should avoid the top fields at events like The Open. He's a long way from being good enough to beat a field like the one at Carnoustie.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

BDF

Post by BDF » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:46 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
BDF wrote:

BDF, I think we're in agreement on that point.

My beef is that the university admin argue fervently in favor of academic freedom, but then smack down any academics (in this case, a professor whose syllabus included discussions on cheating in athletics) whose exercise of that freedom questions the integrity and sanctity of the atheltic department.

It's a perplexing prioritization for a university that once stood as an exemplar of public higher education that also had above-average sports teams. These days, they tout their sports teams (most of whom perform at average levels) and also offer some academic degrees on the side.

I will be at Carolina and Duke for college tours on Monday. I will try not to ask about this or CTE because I'd prefer the 16yo decides she doesn't want them rather than vice versa.

rbarney

Tiger

Post by rbarney » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:19 pm

I don't know what it will take for Tiger to make the next step up, but so far, his play has a certain monotonous pattern: Play well enough to make the weekend cut and then move up the leaderboard too liitle and too late. He was never a "come from behind" golfer, even in his heyday. However, he no longr had the fire power to make up for early week mistakes. Yes, I could see a lot of top tens, but no major victories. As a golfer, I really can agree with BDF's analysis.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:01 pm

"I will be at Carolina and Duke for college tours"

My sympathies.

graveline

Post by graveline » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Tiger is hitting it well and putting it well for the most part. He's losing a few shots to the right.

I think he made a tactical mistake in his second round by continuing to play so many irons off the tee on a course that was much softer due to the rain. I think to get into the top ten he will have to challenge the golf course a little more, which I expect him to do in the next round.

I'll stick with my top-ten prediction.
I thought after the accident his extra-curricular activities were cut down. But maybe a new Perkins opened...
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:40 pm

Never get out of the boat.

Never read the comments.

Never forget the "No, graveline"

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:12 am

How one bad swing gave Tiger, Phil, Jordan and Rickie new hope

That was ESPN's banner headline about The Open yesterday. They just can't pass on a chance to talk about two once-great golfers who are well off the pace. If you want to pick four guys who got new hope from Kisner's error, you should name Johnson, Shauffele, Perez, and Fleetwood. Those four guys got pulled into a tie for the lead or just one back when Kisner double bogeyed the last hole.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

BDF

Post by BDF » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:24 am

i77cat wrote:How one bad swing gave Tiger, Phil, Jordan and Rickie new hope

That was ESPN's banner headline about The Open yesterday. They just can't pass on a chance to talk about two once-great golfers who are well off the pace. If you want to pick four guys who got new hope from Kisner's error, you should name Johnson, Shauffele, Perez, and Fleetwood. Those four guys got pulled into a tie for the lead or just one back when Kisner double bogeyed the last hole.
Especially in this click driven media world, you can’t blame them them for picking the best known names. And with the exception of Phil, the other three are right in the mix.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:29 am

I understand how they could mention Rickie and Jordan. They are both really good. Tiger Woods is off to a fantastic start today. -4 for the round and the championship after 10 holes. And he looks like he'll birdie the 11th as well. I still don't think he's good enough to win the tournament. He used to be bigger than the game. I don't think he's back to that point yet. But maybe he is. The media certainly treat him that way.

BDF

Post by BDF » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:36 am

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:38 pm

They'll be OK. They can get jobs in Hawaii officiating basketball.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ