No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:45 pm

First practice is 9/29 or a couple of days later. Can't come soon enough.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:51 pm

MLC67 wrote:CUN: Please note that MITI authored the original post exclusively with regard to a school in California that warned students that chants of USA could unintentionally hurt snowflake listeners, so the inappropriate invocation of DU sentiments was the hurtful action of a subsequent poster. This topic definitely belonged in this topic at its inception.
Oh come now, MLC. DU fans chant USA. If you find my mentioning of that hurtful, my dear comrade, it makes me wonder who the snowflake is.
she/hers

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:34 pm

SlowSpeed: My feelings are my prerogative exclusively, so U are not entitled to devalue my deep hurt caused by the expression of embarrassment by yourself. In addition, sarcasm does become me, don't you think - as the real snowflake here :evil: :twisted: :roll: :?:
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:07 pm

OK. I'll chant "CSA, CSA, CSA!"

Woodrow Wilson played center field. I should quit contributing to the baseball team.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Airball50

Post by Airball50 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:49 am

I think context and motivation are important in assessing the "USA!" chant by the D Block. The chant remains popular among Trump supporters. Did D Block begin the chanting before Trump arrived on the political scene? "USA!" certainly has political connotations, or what could be interpreted as political connotations, now that it may not have had previously -- for people on both sides of the Trump situation. And I think it's fair to wonder why the chant would arise at a Davidson basketball game. At a scrimmage with an international team would be understandable. During a game vs. St. Joe's is open to a broader interpretation. "Pig" is a perfectly fine word. But "Pig!" shouted in the face of a police officer could be construed to be more of a political statement. So I return to my earlier comment that civil conversation is key to understanding such situations as we are discussing here. Unwillingness to engage in civil conversation is itself a powerful, and disturbing, political statement.

citycat

Post by citycat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:06 am

Tommy Wilson was the centerfielder on the 1873-1874 baseball team. It is odd that a student who was sickly and took a year off to recuperate before going to Princeton was selected to patrol centerfield.

I believe DBlock has been yelling "USA" for several years, predating Trump's political ascendancy. Bagel and I commented it is a strange chant for Davidson fans to use given the makeup of our squads.

Geezers associate that chant with the '80 Gold Medal Hockey team. I do not recall that chant being heard before the fans of that team made it popular. It makes sense to use it in a forum such as the Olympics.
Last edited by citycat on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:09 am

AB50: I say: "In a Pig's Eye" to your very articulate and well reasoned appeal for civil discourse on a non-issue of huuuuuuge proportions. I for one, and hopefully for all, am seeking to just enjoy a student recreational sports activity, so will continue to refuse to psycho-analyze the thought processes of game attendee chanters.

Our unwillingness to engage in any Vulcan Mind Melt to ferret out hidden Trumpsters is a sensible setting of priorities in life and not your perceived disturbing boycott of dialogue, because sometime the cigar is just obviously that.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:29 am

Vulcan mind meld.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:42 am

Sarcasm, Jake, sarcasm in Chinatown even.

Esse Quam Videri

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:59 am

I've never made an association between a USA chant and the Grabber in Chief. D Block started that response to the SSB some years back. Given things they used to yell at away games, I would have never thought to object to that. At baseball games we used to yell "Play Ball." I've had to stop myself before yelling that at the opening of the Symphony season. I guess one could interpret the term to refer to political corruption, but most of us take it more literally at games. These days somebody will take all statements to be political.

"Mind melt" does seem particularly appropriate in this discussion.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:04 pm

"I've never made an association"

Never my love?

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:43 pm

My guess is that 70-80% of USA citizens approve of the "U-S-A" chant in almost all settings and certainly at sporting events. I understand that many of this forum's members are in the 20-30% minority. I encourage all of you to make your complaints as loudly as you possibly can ... write articles ... pay for advertisements. Include statements on the American Flag, National Anthem, and Pledge of Allegiance. Every little bit helps ... your political opponents.

BTW, there were triumphal chants of "USA" bellowed outside the White House when Bin Laden was killed. I think that was great. There have been USA chants going back to the 1970s before the Miracle on Ice.
"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:03 pm

What did D block chant at the C of C game in 1998 when we were up 18? (Wizards please correct my numbers). Was it Over-Rated? Now that one bothered me during and after the tumultuous result. I have never thought to be bothered by a pedestrian U-S-A chant. Could it be that 20-30% are offended by this? I would have gone much lower.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:11 pm

mccabemi wrote:I have never thought to be bothered by a pedestrian U-S-A chant. Could it be that 20-30% are offended by this? I would have gone much lower.
Fwiw, which I recognize is darn little, I'm not offended by the chant. Just bothered by it. There's a big difference.

But I also believe there are some for whom the chant isn't pedestrian.
she/hers

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:12 pm

wildforthecats wrote:"I've never made an association"

Never my love?
This discussion is getting rather windy, and I cherish WFTC's interjection of humor.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''