No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
slowcat95

Re: No limit on stupid

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Seems to think he can convince the virus to go away if we agree to give it our elders. He should volunteer to go first.
she/hers

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:03 pm

she/hers

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:19 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:03 pm
Relatedly

https://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/ ... 57b76.html
Not a smart move.

cat44

Post by cat44 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:17 pm

The president saying '..he would love the country opened up and raring to go by Easter." is stupid? Come on man. I watched the interview and did not rely on biased news reports, and what he said made a ton of sense. He did not set a guidline, but a goal. I realize soome people will criticize anything the president does, just like some will defend what he does, but the headline is a classic example of fake news.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:50 pm

We won’t even have church up and running by Easter.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:51 pm

I’m sure he would love it- but it appears either unrealistic or foolhardy. And since we’re in the middle of something with the potential to be really bad he needs to be something other than unrealistic or foolhardy.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Yes, by Easter is not realistic. Even by May or June is a huge stretch.

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:28 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:03 pm
Relatedly

https://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/ ... 57b76.html
Whew. Amazing.

My daughter lives in Lynchburg. I'll warn her to be extra careful.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:47 pm

catnhat wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:51 pm
I’m sure he would love it- but it appears either unrealistic or foolhardy. And since we’re in the middle of something with the potential to be really bad he needs to be something other than unrealistic or foolhardy.
It's both unrealistic and foolhardy. Lots of people will follow his lead and let their guard down, right when the actual public health/medical/epidemiology/immunology/virology/vaccinology/infectious disease experts say we need to be locking down and staying that way.

Speaking of people who are medical/virology/immunology/vaccinology experts, Sallie Permar--Duke physician, DU grad, & former XC runner--has a lot to say about all of this on FB. She's worth a follow.
she/hers

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:47 pm

cat44 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:17 pm
The president saying '..he would love the country opened up and raring to go by Easter." is stupid? Come on man. I watched the interview and did not rely on biased news reports, and what he said made a ton of sense. He did not set a guidline, but a goal. I realize soome people will criticize anything the president does, just like some will defend what he does, but the headline is a classic example of fake news.
By Easter is not realistic at all. We need to get well on the downside of the curve before "normal" life resumes. That being said, at some point we as a society will have to make some very hard decisions about resuming the "normal." That time is not yet foreseeable.

We have been insulated by immunizations, antibiotics, advanced medical developments, etc. to think we are somehow immune to the effects of a global pandemic. We are not. These things have happened throughout history, and they will continue to happen. Evolution, you know.

Nobody even talks about overpopulation as a contributing factor to all of this. I believe it is the central factor and that almost every ill (climate change, pollution, etc.) stems from it. It is quite possible we have, through artificial means, exceeded the carrying capacity of our planet.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

gopher49

Post by gopher49 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:04 pm

cat44 wrote:
I watched that part of the interview also. He said that's what he wanted and that it would be wonderful if all the churches were filled on Easter Sunday. I judge the headline, by Fox News, to be a pretty accurate capsuling of what he said.
That soon after all the infections suggests that churches filled with people are going to provide some opportunities for others to become infected. I have no idea how many, but it is not overwhelmingly brilliant to want that to happen.
Pi Rho Alpha-"Whatever It Takes"

rbarney

Post by rbarney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Probably a poor choice of venue, since the Bubonic Plague, in its own time, spread largely through the churches.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Episcopalians in this diocese are out through May 17 at least.

The United Methodist conference is saying until further notice.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

cat44

Post by cat44 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:06 pm

stevelee wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 pm
Episcopalians in this diocese are out through May 17 at least.

The United Methodist conference is saying until further notice.
Makes sense. How many young people attend setvices?

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 pm

cat44 wrote:
No. That headline isn't particularly stupid. It isn't even one of the three stupidest things in that article. I heard even loopier things from Cuomo today. We have amazingly incompetent leaders. Both parties. And that's no news at all.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge