No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
Dr. Bliss

Re: No limit on stupid

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:50 pm

citycat wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:13 pm
After many years of academic and professional life, nothing matters but the immediate problem in front of you. No one cares if you know there are 100 Senators and 435 Representatives or that Alpha Centari is the closest star to the Earth other than the Sun.

If you go to bar trivia, then those facts matter.

Nicholas says he votes in every election and that he has lived in 6 different places since 2005. If he lived in 6 different Congressional Districts, he would have voted in the same district twice because there have been 7 Congressional elections since 2005. He should have noticed the the same candidate on the ballot 2 elections in a row. (It is possible a challenger beats an incumbent in the first election and doesn't run for reelection, but that is very rare and would have created a lot of news coverage, which Nicholas should have seen/heard.)

In his defense, he can't be a hoarder. You can't move that often an pile up extraneous stuff.

Davidson required Physical Education credits in my era. Why not have one fewer PE credit and have a required course entitled, "Stuff You Need to Know to be a Functioning Human". Students are required to know how many Senators and Congressman there are, how often elections take place, where and how to register to vote, and where the red and black jumper cables go.

Seamac77 can teach basic meteorology. He can explain why you should get in a ditch when you're outside and a funnel cloud appears. Stevelee and Dr. Bliss can teach music appreciation.
I think Scarlet Begonias through an open window on campus in the spring would be close to the top on my list.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Dr. Bliss has a great suggestion. Students should be given a tour of the campus by a botanist who can point out unique plants and trees. Someone went to a lot of trouble to nail those little tags on every tree on the front lawn.

My dad agreed to send me to Davidson when we were walking around the lawn and there was a tree near Martin Library with a pipe driven into a fork between the trunk and a branch. In time, water would have collected in the fork and split the tree in two. The pipe was 15 feet up the trunk.

My dad was impressed someone had noticed the problem and had gone to the trouble to alleviate it.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:29 pm

I guess this goes here...

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2 ... ina-uyghur

Short version: Duke professor claims to be studying pedestrian tracking software (which is crucially quite bad at present and that means self-driving cars would kill more, not fewer pedestrians than human drivers unless the tech improves dramatically--but I digress...) but instead surreptitiously filmed students faces and tracked their movements around campus and threw it up on the web where the Chinese govt used it to build software to monitor ethnic minorities all in violation of their IRB approval.
she/hers

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:15 pm

Great headline:
Baksetball Player Banned From Playing After Drug Test Says He's Pregnant
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

AndroCat

Post by AndroCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:11 am

stevelee wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:15 pm
Great headline:
Baksetball Player Banned From Playing After Drug Test Says He's Pregnant
Context: The player was up for a drug test. He clearly thought he would fail the test. He asked his girlfriend for her urine. A test of the urine revealed she was pregnant. Player is now suspended.

https://www.theroot.com/pro-basketball- ... 1836974861

rbarney

Post by rbarney » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:56 am

This should go on the Classic Posts thread! Unbelievable and SO FUNNY!

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:56 am

I chose to omit “the rest of the story” (TM) to let folks first use their imaginations.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:04 pm

Rest of the story must include answer to the question - was it his baby?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:54 pm

"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

Ursa Midmajor

Post by Ursa Midmajor » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:20 pm

:D
citycat wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:03 pm
Dr. Bliss has a great suggestion. Students should be given a tour of the campus by a botanist who can point out unique plants and trees. Someone went to a lot of trouble to nail those little tags on every tree on the front lawn.

My dad agreed to send me to Davidson when we were walking around the lawn and there was a tree near Martin Library with a pipe driven into a fork between the trunk and a branch. In time, water would have collected in the fork and split the tree in two. The pipe was 15 feet up the trunk.

My dad was impressed someone had noticed the problem and had gone to the trouble to alleviate it.
First time I saw a weed eater was during my senior year HS visit to DU.
"No one is Steph Curry” ~ Draymond Green

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:54 am

Did you have these back home?

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:49 am

TOK

Post by TOK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:04 am

Maybe the bird snorted cocaine before pooping on the car? :lol:

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:22 am

Maybe you can publish research on avian drug use.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:58 am

I mean, who among us hasn't mistaken bird poop for cocaine? Happens all the time.