No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:55 pm

"Silent Sam" stands in Chapel Hill. I'm told that one of the dedication speeches (circa 1913) was a particularly blatant example of exploiting/trumpeting racial discord.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:05 am

stevelee wrote:And my name comes from a guy who is famous for getting stoned.
Your middle name "Snoop Dog"?

TOK

Post by TOK » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:42 am

rsbarney,

Based on your statement below, I can be certain that you haven't live in the Commonwealth of Virginia. If you were from the Old Dominion, as I am, you would understand the good general's loyalty to the place of his birth.

"I'm not sure I would describe Lee's decision as one based primarily on considerations of slavery but rather a certain, if unfortunate, loyalty to his native state."

:wink:

hieron

Post by hieron » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:22 pm

Maybe we could rename New York. Maybe call it New Tubman.

Then the Mets could be the Tubbies.

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:51 pm

hieron wrote:Maybe we could rename New York. Maybe call it New Tubman.

Maryland seems like a more fitting state to rename in Tubman's honor, fwiw.
she/hers

cat44

Post by cat44 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:35 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
hieron wrote:Maybe we could rename New York. Maybe call it New Tubman.

Maryland seems like a more fitting state to rename in Tubman's honor, fwiw.

Just read the abstract about precarious manhood beliefs. No limits on stupidity seems a proper venue for it.

nalotze

Post by nalotze » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:27 am

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:11 am

Warning about "USA" chant at high school games and rallies:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/09/ ... usa-chant/
It’s a popular way to for students to show pride during sporting events and rallies, but school and district officials are now warning students that the chants could appear inappropriate and intolerant.
Inappropriate? Intolerant of what? Time to fire some school officials.

More evidence ...
"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 am

I find it embarrassing when D Block does that at Davidson games. It feels insensitive, especially given how much our team and school benefit from student athletes from other countries. But I wouldn't seek to ban it anymore than I would seek to enforce standing for the national anthem.
she/hers

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am

I find it embarrassing when D Block does that at Davidson games. It feels insensitive, especially given how much our team and school benefit from student athletes from other countries.
Did you ever consider that foreign students might admire patriotism?

Embarrassed? Oh my goodness ... that's saddening.
"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:51 am

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:
Did you ever consider that foreign students might admire patriotism?

Embarrassed? Oh my goodness ... that's saddening.
On the contrary: I consider that they might feel intimidated by it. Or at least undervalued.
she/hers

Rudy2011

Post by Rudy2011 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:53 am

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:Warning about "USA" chant at high school games and rallies:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/09/ ... usa-chant/
It’s a popular way to for students to show pride during sporting events and rallies, but school and district officials are now warning students that the chants could appear inappropriate and intolerant.
Inappropriate? Intolerant of what? Time to fire some school officials.

More evidence ...
The obvious example would be a largely white student body chanting at a largely minority opponent, where the message of patriotism is replaced with the implication that the opponents are not "true" Americans. Seem to recall a Texas HS baseball fan base behaving this way not too long ago.

If I read the article correctly, the chant is not banned. They specifically referenced continuing to perform it after the National Anthem, which is the only time I can recall ever hearing a USA chant at an athletic event not involving a national team
Carthago delenda est

I say we drink the wine, eat the dogs, and use the papers for musket wadding.

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:55 am

More evidence ...

kevin mcmahon

Post by kevin mcmahon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:04 pm

slowcat95 wrote:I find it embarrassing when D Block does that at Davidson games. It feels insensitive, especially given how much our team and school benefit from student athletes from other countries. But I wouldn't seek to ban it anymore than I would seek to enforce standing for the national anthem.
And you will be defended regardless. RLTW.
"Microphones are for Navy guys"... Ranger H.

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:08 pm

It feels silly to constantly try to find the worst in things, or to assume that others will. If my memory of regular attenders' comments is correct, D Block historically has done a fine job of celebrating the international backgrounds of our many basketball players from abroad. Assuming that is correct, why would we think that chanting of "USA" is devaluing of the contributions of our international players? Were there instances where that chant was "directed" at an opposing non-American player?

Similarly, it would seem silly to me to discourage the waving of the Iceland, Finland, Nigeria, Turkey, Canada, etc etc flags, on the basis that it might appear to be devaluing the contributions of our native born players.

We always can find a possible "worst" in things. We become a better community when we encourage finding the "best" in those same things. There will be obvious exceptions to that comment, as in instances where there is not much legitimate "best" to be found. Still, this seems like a silly example that is being debated by some, and devalues the arguments surrounding other more legitimate discussions.