No limit on stupid

2018 A10 Champions!
stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:17 pm

I briefly acquired the nickname Clark Chang the summer I spent at UNC. Somebody said I looked more like a Chang than a Lee in response to some odd comment. In some time proximity, another student called me "Clark" because he had confused me with my future DU classmate Clark Sugg. So someone put the names together. I had forgotten that until the Ching Lee story. There were at least three future members of my class in the program that summer, but none of us knew that we would wind up in college together at the time.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

JCDC

Post by JCDC » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Does anyone else see the irony in "summer I spent at UNC" with the title of the thread?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:45 pm

JCDC wrote:Does anyone else see the irony in "summer I spent at UNC" with the title of the thread?
I was a high school kid enjoying my first real time on my own away from home. It was pretty neat. Chapel Hill was a much more interesting place then. I learned about Fibonacci numbers for the first time and learned about the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, basic skills for this fan board.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Steve Rodgers

Post by Steve Rodgers » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Many people I've talked to are hoping there was a confederate general named Brent Musberger.

TOK

Post by TOK » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:12 am

Steve Rodgers wrote:Many people I've talked to are hoping there was a confederate general named Brent Musberger.
That's is really funny!

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:35 am

Expand their hopes to the names of Union generals. De Blasio has been confronted with demands to close the tomb of Ulysses S. Grant due to his infamous General Order 11. I doubt there are any announcers named "Ulysses", but you never know.

More evidence ...
"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:24 pm

Lots of people are bad. Let's stop naming stuff for any of them. Remove all references to people. No Stonewall. No MLK. No Washington. No Davidson. Hell, I might get rid of my own name. That David dude in the Bible was a murderer.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:41 pm

And my name comes from a guy who is famous for getting stoned.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

dorp

Post by dorp » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:23 pm

Mrs. Dorp has a work trip to Columbus planned. I asked her how she could go to a place named for such an awful person. Of course, I wasn't offended by it a month ago.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:44 pm

It seems to be there's a pretty important difference between celebrating a historical figure despite their flaws and mistakes and celebrating one because of their flaws and mistakes. Washington is primarily known for things other than slaveholding. Davis's, Lee's, and Jackson's relevance to history is based on their voluntary choices to be leaders in a rebellion fought to preserve slavery.

Airball50

Post by Airball50 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Acorn wrote:It seems to be there's a pretty important difference between celebrating a historical figure despite their flaws and mistakes and celebrating one because of their flaws and mistakes. Washington is primarily known for things other than slaveholding. Davis's, Lee's, and Jackson's relevance to history is based on their voluntary choices to be leaders in a rebellion fought to preserve slavery.
+++1

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat

Post by MakeIt-TakeIt Cat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:25 pm

Acorn wrote:It seems to be there's a pretty important difference between celebrating a historical figure despite their flaws and mistakes and celebrating one because of their flaws and mistakes. Washington is primarily known for things other than slaveholding. Davis's, Lee's, and Jackson's relevance to history is based on their voluntary choices to be leaders in a rebellion fought to preserve slavery.
Give Mayor De Blasio a call. He and his council members seem to be having trouble seeing the differences. Grant, Columbus, and FDR have been suggested for possible targets as they scour New York for hate symbols. They won't have to look too far. New York was named for the House of York and the Duke of York at the time ... he was one of the biggest slave traders in colonial America through his Royal African Company. Tens of thousands of slaves were branded 'DY' for Duke of York. Oh my! What to do?

A can of worms!

More evidence ...
"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." Galileo

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:17 pm

MakeIt-TakeIt Cat wrote:
Give Mayor De Blasio a call. He and his council members seem to be having trouble seeing the differences. Grant, Columbus, and FDR have been suggested for possible targets as they scour New York for hate symbols. They won't have to look too far. New York was named for the House of York and the Duke of York at the time ... he was one of the biggest slave traders in colonial America through his Royal African Company. Tens of thousands of slaves were branded 'DY' for Duke of York. Oh my! What to do?

A can of worms!

More evidence ...
Definitely a can of worms in cases where the thing the figure is known for is arguably wrong (I guess Columbus for some) or there's a debate about what the figure is known for (blanking on an example). Might I propose the flashcard test: what's the one-line description of a figure? If it's for something widely seen as morally repugnant (e.g., Hitler), then I'm not going to protest the removal of monuments to them.

rbarney

MONUMENTS

Post by rbarney » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:21 pm

I'm not sure I would describe Lee's decision as one based primarily on considerations of slavery but rather a certain, if unfortunate, loyalty to his native state. It seems to me that the historical argument revolves around why the particular monuments were erected in the first place (rebellion against Reconstruction? An attempt to perpetuate Jim Crow laws?) Being neither a historian nor having more than a passing historical affiliation with the Confederacy, I am not in a position to pass definitive judgement on the respective motivations for establishment or destruction of any particular monument.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:56 pm

I would imagine that a lot of the Confederate monuments were put in Southern towns because some other town had a monument, so they thought they should, too. Rinse and repeat. Works for other sorts of monuments, too.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ