Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
catnhat

Post by catnhat » Mon May 16, 2016 5:06 pm

Bruce Buckley, brother of Jay?

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon May 16, 2016 11:08 pm

catnhat wrote:Bruce Buckley, brother of Jay?
...or Jeff?

BDF

Post by BDF » Tue May 17, 2016 10:39 am

MrMac wrote:
...or Jeff?
Hallelujah!
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue May 17, 2016 10:48 am

?

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue May 17, 2016 1:20 pm

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Tue May 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Verbal Commits says we offered SG Matt Milon last year. He is transferring from BC after playing 16+ minutes per game and shooting 49% from 3 as a freshman. He apparently didn't shoot that much since he averaged between 5 and 6 points per game. Has anyone heard if we're interested/involved this time around?

JerseyLawyer

Post by JerseyLawyer » Wed May 18, 2016 4:46 pm

We were very interested in Milon last year

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Wed May 18, 2016 7:22 pm

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Thu May 19, 2016 10:09 am

The latest summary of scholarship totals says we have used 11 of the 13 available for 2016/17 (this includes the addition of JAG). We have moved beyond the NLOI regular signing period that ended May 18. I love the talent pool in those 11 young men, but am curious as to whether more knowledgeable posters might be induced to offer thoughts on the significance (or lack thereof) of having moved beyond May 18 without further announcements of signings for the upcoming year.

I ask, because 11 seems risky, and because it is not unreasonable to be concerned about the health of our full 11 (obviously, hoping and wishing for full health and capability to participate). Adding a quality player via transfer seems very possible, but would not add to the pool of players available for 2016/17. All normal caveats apply ... i.e., Coach knows best and undoubtedly is following a well-constructed plan that we will enjoy watching unfurl.

Thoughts?

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:21 am

GoalCat wrote:The latest summary of scholarship totals says we have used 11 of the 13 available for 2016/17 (this includes the addition of JAG). We have moved beyond the NLOI regular signing period that ended May 18. I love the talent pool in those 11 young men, but am curious as to whether more knowledgeable posters might be induced to offer thoughts on the significance (or lack thereof) of having moved beyond May 18 without further announcements of signings for the upcoming year.

I ask, because 11 seems risky, and because it is not unreasonable to be concerned about the health of our full 11 (obviously, hoping and wishing for full health and capability to participate). Adding a quality player via transfer seems very possible, but would not add to the pool of players available for 2016/17. All normal caveats apply ... i.e., Coach knows best and undoubtedly is following a well-constructed plan that we will enjoy watching unfurl.

Thoughts?
We will have more than 11 and NLOI spring signing date is insignificant.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Thu May 19, 2016 10:55 am

collegecoach8502 wrote:We will have more than 11 and NLOI spring signing date is insignificant.
Interesting. Does your "more than 11" include someone not currently on the roster (plus JAG)?

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Thu May 19, 2016 11:02 am

Another interview with Davison, where Davidson comes up but he doesn't mention any schools as leaders. Still, as a guard who can pass and shoot like he can playing both guard spots, and how he consistently mentions the balance of academics and basketball as well as the style of play, we seem like a great fit for him and him for us.

http://www.flohoops.com/article/41883-b ... or-schools

EDIT: And another interview (doing plenty lately) where Davidson is mentioned. Also says long term he wants to be a college coach, so having a staff comprised with multiple former players could also be appealing to him. http://endlessmotor.net/2016/05/18/gett ... d-davison/
Last edited by CatsUpNorth on Thu May 19, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Thu May 19, 2016 5:23 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
GoalCat wrote:The latest summary of scholarship totals says we have used 11 of the 13 available for 2016/17 (this includes the addition of JAG). We have moved beyond the NLOI regular signing period that ended May 18. I love the talent pool in those 11 young men, but am curious as to whether more knowledgeable posters might be induced to offer thoughts on the significance (or lack thereof) of having moved beyond May 18 without further announcements of signings for the upcoming year.

Thoughts?
Thanks, I appreciate that. I've asked a couple of times before, and not really gotten any answers, and I really am curious. Since you're in a great position to know, can you share thoughts on why there is an NLOI signing date at all? If it is insignificant, what is the intended purpose, why even have it?

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu May 19, 2016 7:04 pm

Nothing new. There is a spring NLI date because recruiting needs limits. It is not insignificant at all. It has, however, always been irrelevant for Davidson. Our players, I believe, can't sign an NLI until they are actually admitted into school. The important thing for us is the verbal. When a player like Kellen Grady commits verbally, you can count on it that his word is his bond. Just like Coach McKillop honors his word.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:21 pm

GoalCat wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:

Thoughts?
Thanks, I appreciate that. I've asked a couple of times before, and not really gotten any answers, and I really am curious. Since you're in a great position to know, can you share thoughts on why there is an NLOI signing date at all? If it is insignificant, what is the intended purpose, why even have it?

They have designated signing periods so as to restrict a specific time when coaches can/can't be on the road recruiting and when a recruit can visit a college campus. Essentially without it, you could have a college coach at a recruits house (or the recruit on campus in the coaches office) with the coach putting a pen in the kid's hand and pressuring the kid to sign.

By having the limited signing periods, it keeps kids and coaches away from each other so the kid can sign a NLI at home without feeling pressured (in theory at least). No one cares after the spring signing period if the kid is signing late, since they had the "non-pressure" times earlier in the year and chose not to use them and delayed their decision.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."