Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
Classof70

Post by Classof70 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:09 pm

GoalCat wrote:Two quick questions ...

1) The D1 Basketball LOI Regular Signing Period ends next week, on May 18. Are we likely to sign somebody by then?

2) What happens after May 18? For players entering school next fall, are they allowed to sign between then and the start of school?
The answer to your second question is found at the following web site:

http://www.nationalletter.org/

As I read the web site, students cannot sign a NLI for Division I basketball after May 18 until November 9, 2016.

Maybe one of the wizards knows the answer to your first question.

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Fri May 13, 2016 2:55 pm

Classof70 wrote:

1) The D1 Basketball LOI Regular Signing Period ends next week, on May 18. Are we likely to sign somebody by then?

2) What happens after May 18? For players entering school next fall, are they allowed to sign between then and the start of school?

As I read the web site, students cannot sign a NLI for Division I basketball after May 18 until November 9, 2016.

So, a quick follow-up ... is there any formal process for a player to receive a D1 basketball scholarship for the Academic Year beginning in September, if they have not signed an LOI by May 18? I suppose they just "sign a scholarship agreement", but that begs the question of what is the value of the May 18 deadline.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Fri May 13, 2016 3:24 pm

Taylor Funk- 1st mentioned on p. 181- has supposedly committed to St. Joe's.

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Fri May 13, 2016 3:33 pm

GoalCat wrote:
Classof70 wrote:

So, a quick follow-up ... is there any formal process for a player to receive a D1 basketball scholarship for the Academic Year beginning in September, if they have not signed an LOI by May 18? I suppose they just "sign a scholarship agreement", but that begs the question of what is the value of the May 18 deadline.
From what I read in that line, the NLI is voluntary, so you can get a scholarship without signing one at all.

That doesn't tell me anything about the value of the May 18 deadline though, unless that is intended to apply to juniors. But I don't even know if juniors can sign an NLI. For example, I don't think Kellan Grady has signed an NLI, so others can continue to recruit him if they think they can flip him.

MikeMaloy15

Post by MikeMaloy15 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:23 am

Kellan Grady is basically in the Charlie Scott position (one of the things citycat and I saw when we went through Lefty's boxes of materials was a set of Charlotte Observer articles referring to "Davidson signee Charlie Scott," seen here and there (including his attendance at a UCLA game in the Charlotte Coliseum)) .

Not trying to scare anyone, just noting a parallel initial status.

Some of that stuff was difficult to look at. citycat can correct this if I mis-remember, but I think we saw lots of handwritten correspondence between Lefty and Jack Marin, who ended up at Duke and then had a fairly long NBA career.

It's fair to say that Lefty kept the USPS busy back in the day.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun May 15, 2016 10:57 am

There is a very nice handwritten letter from Jack Marin to Lefty thanking him for recruiting him to Davidson, but telling him he was going to Duke. The letter was written in June or July, so it is highly likely Lefty knew Marin was not attending Davidson when the letter arrived. I can see Marin's mother standing over him making him write the letter.

Marin played in the NBA for 11 years. He retired when he was still in demand in the NBA and attended Duke Law School. He graduated in '80 and took the NC Bar Review course in Chapel Hill that summer. He drove to the classes in a Porsche with golf clubs in the back after a hard day on the course.

He was an outspoken conservative politically, but was very influential and adamant in the NBA Players Association (as is Steph.). Marin is retiring from his law firm and there is a nice article about him the NC Bar Association magazine this month.

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Sun May 15, 2016 1:16 pm

Reminds me of the time when the University of Rochester swim coach- to whom I committed- met my Davidson coach, Rich Deselm, at a summer swim camp- to whom I had more recently committed because I got plucked off the waitlist. The university of Rochester coach was discussing her incoming class when Rich had to break the news to her. Rich called me, then I called UofR and left an awkward message. I had a little "academic" money from Rochester but it never occurred to me at the time that I needed to let the UofR coach know. In retrospect that was pretty foolish.

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Sun May 15, 2016 4:38 pm

NC State has offered Brad Davison.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Sun May 15, 2016 5:18 pm

wildforthecats wrote:NC State has offered Brad Davison.
He is killing it in the EYBL.

Davidson has been better recently and has a brighter future than NC State. Plus Davison seems like a great fit basketball wise and academically.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Sun May 15, 2016 5:37 pm

https://twitter.com/NorfolkKnights/stat ... 0240112640:
@NorfolkKnights wrote:Jaylin Reed - Offer: NJIT. Interest: Wichita St, UVA, Standard, Radford, Creighton, Geo Mason, Harvard, Princeton, Davidson, Lafayette
2018 guard

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Mon May 16, 2016 1:08 pm

2017 Darryl Morsell recently got a Davidson offer according to the Twitterverse.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Mon May 16, 2016 1:10 pm

Acorn wrote:2017 Darryl Morsell recently got a Davidson offer according to the Twitterverse.
https://twitter.com/410D_/status/732005114454515712:
@410D_ wrote:⚫️🏀
Also has offers from Dayton, Temple, and UCF, among others

JerseyLawyer

Post by JerseyLawyer » Mon May 16, 2016 2:11 pm

Back in the day, the all-campus intramural champs in each sport from Duke and Chapel Hill would play. Duke Law won three straight years with Jack Marin.

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon May 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Some of the UNC Law faculty would scour the accepted applicants' records looking for intramural talent. My small section professor asked if anyone would recognize M.L. Carr, who had been accepted for the Fall of '76, but had deferred because he needed to report to the Pistons, who owned his NBA contract rights. I replied he had scored in double figures in '76-'77 and had signed a long term deal with them. (That was big news in Greensboro because he had played for Guilford's '73 NAIA Championship team.)

So Carr never got to play for UNC Law School's intramural team. In the Fall of '78, a former Tar Heel player enrolled in law school. At a faculty meeting, one professor asked, "So and So doesn't have any eligibility left, does he?" When the answer was "No", there was a cheer in the room. This guy would have played against Marin's Duke team two years.

His older brother would have played with Marin one year and against Davidson in the '62-'63 game mentioned earlier.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon May 16, 2016 3:20 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:
Acorn wrote:2017 Darryl Morsell recently got a Davidson offer according to the Twitterverse.
https://twitter.com/410D_/status/732005114454515712:
@410D_ wrote:⚫️🏀
Also has offers from Dayton, Temple, and UCF, among others
(link should work)
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ