2018 A10 Champions!
BDF

Re: Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

Post by BDF » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:07 pm

JustaCatsFan wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:59 pm
DCA06 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:47 pm
Can we please find a De'mon 2.0 and Peyton 2.0 to go with Luka, KG, and Luke. Thanks.
What are you expecting JAG and KP to be doing next year?
Graduating.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

cat44

Post by cat44 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:26 pm

Are er in the running for Micah Potter?
edit Just saw he went to Wisconsin.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:52 am

I see in the weekly international report that De'Mon, Peyton, and Jack have been scoring big numbers. Ali is consistently in double digits in a less demanding league.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 pm

I’m high on DK2’s potential, but with DK1 graduating I’d love to see the coaches bring in another big who can contribute next year (as opposed to sitting out as a transfer or a project). If Luka or DK2 gets hurt (or if DK2 isn’t as ready to play as I think/hope he is), then we’re in trouble—which would be a real shame given the team’s potential for national-level success next season. KP can steal minutes as a 4, but that’s not his highest and best use. Mike Jones is 6’4”—he’s a guard/wing. Bates can provide relief. Who knows what NBY can do, but presumably (based on playing time this season) it’s less than what Bates can do.

DCA06

Post by DCA06 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:20 pm

We need a four star at the 4

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:25 pm

Acorn wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:18 pm
I’m high on DK2’s potential, but with DK1 graduating I’d love to see the coaches bring in another big who can contribute next year (as opposed to sitting out as a transfer or a project). If Luka or DK2 gets hurt (or if DK2 isn’t as ready to play as I think/hope he is), then we’re in trouble—which would be a real shame given the team’s potential for national-level success next season. KP can steal minutes as a 4, but that’s not his highest and best use. Mike Jones is 6’4”—he’s a guard/wing. Bates can provide relief. Who knows what NBY can do, but presumably (based on playing time this season) it’s less than what Bates can do.
I would like a 6'8" JAG please.

BDF

Post by BDF » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:44 pm

I'd love a Peyton or De'Mon or 6' 8" JAG. We'd be in great shape with a Cz or an Oskar or a Belford or a Mcauliffe.

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:38 pm

BDF wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:44 pm
I'd love a Peyton or De'Mon or 6' 8" JAG. We'd be in great shape with a Cz or an Oskar or a Belford or a Mcauliffe.
I know we love all our guys, but that's quite a range. Jake Belford falls squarely in the crowded category of players that achieved quite a bit, but injuries kept from achieving even more. I really loved him as a player, and beyond. We can talk about what we want or need ... in the end, the coaches will find some good to great contributors, and we'll enjoy them all.

BDF

Post by BDF » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:54 pm

GoalCat wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:38 pm
BDF wrote:
I know we love all our guys, but that's quite a range. Jake Belford falls squarely in the crowded category of players that achieved quite a bit, but injuries kept from achieving even more. I really loved him as a player, and beyond. We can talk about what we want or need ... in the end, the coaches will find some good to great contributors, and we'll enjoy them all.
The point I was trying to make: it’s easy to wish for someone like a guy who is one of outperform top 10 scorers, but we don’t really need that. With the core group that we have, if we can bring in a 6’ 8” guy who can knock down a couple 3s a game, play solid defense and grab some rebounds, we’ll be in good shape. Maybe DK2 is that guy. Maybe Nellie is. Neither has to be the next Peyton Aldridge.

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:19 pm

We need Mo Alie JAG. :lol:
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

JoMo

Post by JoMo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:34 am

NBY so far this year has played 15 minutes. For comparison Bates has played 163. Historically bigs who play that sparingly as freshman tend to get more more playing time as sophomores unless there are many players battling for playing time in the front court when they are sophomores. Bates only played 46 minutes as a freshman with Aldridge, Magarity and Michelson combining for 2600 minutes of playing time. With our entire front court graduating last season, Bates has already played 4x as much as he did his freshman year. Nelson will have a chance to add muscle over the off-season and I expect him to fill the 4th big role next season with Luka, DK and Bates as the other three and KP getting time as a 4 as well. Having big guards who can rebound as well as KAG and KG can, helps if we have to use line-ups next year with four (or five) guards.

If we think back to the 2013 and 2014 seasons. In 2013 we had Jake Cohen and Clint Mann both graduate which forced Jake Belford, who had played very sparingly as a freshman - 72 minutes, to play a great deal more as a soph. Belford played 385 minutes as a soph on a team where his height was sorely needed. That 2014 team had guards in Tom Droney and Chris Czerapowicz playing minutes at the 4 spot and our main "big" was short for a big, De'Mon Brooks. Since 2014 was our first year in the A10, we needed all the size/muscle we could get and so both Jake B and Caveman played significant minutes. Cave was a freshman in 2014 and played 306 minutes.

Luka has been that rare big that we get who is ready and able to play as a freshman both from an offensive and a defensive perspective. If DK2 is similarly ready, I expect him to get plenty of minutes next season along with Luka and Bates and maybe NBY.

The ability to defend on the low block and rebound will be critical.
TCC - trust, commitment, care

JoMo

Post by JoMo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:35 am

85Wildcatsky wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:19 pm
We need Mo Alie JAG. :lol:
The only "main" category where JAG does not lead the team is blocks
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... /_/id/2166
TCC - trust, commitment, care

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:44 am

I really have no idea what level of contribution David Kristenson will bring next fall. He will turn 21 years old in August, and I'm wondering what that means in terms of him potentially bringing a more developed game and mature mindset (in the context of the game). On the other hand, he's already had several extra years to add weight and/or strength, so what we see might be what we get in that category. I note that JAG turned 20 before his freshman season began, and he certainly seems to have brought an especially mature and battle-tested game right from the start. I'm hoping for those same characteristics from DK.

raptorcat

Post by raptorcat » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:22 am

BDF wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:54 pm
GoalCat wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:38 pm
BDF wrote:
The point I was trying to make: it’s easy to wish for someone like a guy who is one of outperform top 10 scorers, but we don’t really need that. With the core group that we have, if we can bring in a 6’ 8” guy who can knock down a couple 3s a game, play solid defense and grab some rebounds, we’ll be in good shape. Maybe DK2 is that guy. Maybe Nellie is. Neither has to be the next Peyton Aldridge.
Our wish list is probably mere wishful thinking at this point. Quality big men don't grow on trees, and it is really late in the recruiting season. We may have to go with what we've got. Knowing this, I think the coaches will make a concerted effort to bring Nelson along. I hear that he is extremely enthusiastic and possesses a dedicated work ethic. He has his natural athleticism going for him (a big plus!) but other aspects of his game are a work in progress. My own personal observation is that his outside shot mechanics must be revamped is he is to become a three-point scoring threat.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
"I can't be worrying about that sh*t. Life goes on, man."
- Jeff Bridges as The Dude in "The Big Lebowski"

BDL

Post by BDL » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:42 pm

Being able to shoot the three is not a pre-requisite for being a valuable big, even in our system. Before Ekwu's knees decided to not cooperate he was an extremely valuable role player and Luka looks like a future star even though he doesn't shoot 3's (we've heard he takes and makes it in practice though). NBY's athleticism makes his upside particularly exciting but even if he just plays 10 minutes a game next year, blocks some shots, and dunks a few times his contributions will be much appreciated.