Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
collegecoach8502

Re: Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:38 pm

So with the one scholarship for next year handed out, where do we see the remaining two scholarships to be awarded?
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:10 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:38 pm
So with the one scholarship for next year handed out, where do we see the remaining two scholarships to be awarded?
Cryptic collegecoach. I don't believe in doing this myself.

BDF

Post by BDF » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:30 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:34 am
We have 13 scholarships, we are using 13 scholarships. We have one senior and we have one commit. Math is easy.

I guess math ain't so easy.
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:41 pm

What I think we "know" for 2019/20 scholarships (10):
Frosh (2): Michael Jones, David Kristenson
Sophs (4): Luke, Luka, Nelson, David
Jrs (3): Carter, Bates, Kellan
Srs (1): JAG

What I think we "do not know" that "easily could be" for 2019/20 scholarships (additional 2-3):
Srs (2): Kishawn, Dusan (would love to see both return)
Walk-on/awarded scholarship: cannot know at this time
Frosh Additions to Above: new recruits to fill any/all/none of the above 3 slots, should they be open for 2019/20

We could have as few as 2 freshmen next year (one being a Redshirt, the other turning 21 before the first day of school), and could have as many as 5 freshmen. And, there is the double-unknown of whether every current scholarship player returns for 2019/20, though that is a rare occurrence, and not to be hoped for.

Wide range of possibilities ...

citycat

Post by citycat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:23 pm

We have a big man coming in and have at least one coming back. I'd use one of the two scholarships on a 6'6" athletic slasher/defender. He can spell Kishawn for a year. Kishawn's 3 point shooting opportunities can be assumed by Mike Jones, so this recruit doesn't have to be a great 3 point shooter. Ideally, we would find a 6'2'ish guard who can break a press and run an offense. He will get experience in the system and could move into the starting lineup as a sophomore when JAG graduates.

Both of these recruits need to understand the ball has value. There's a reason people dive for loose balls. If they don't understand that, maybe Luke and Carter can show them.

After watching a few public high school games the last few years, I understand why ballhandling guards are hard to spot. There's no shot clock in NC public high school basketball. Opponents don't press because there's no benefit unless you can steal the ball. Teams rarely run a coherent offense because there's no reason to rush, Teams dribble and pass the ball around until someone gets an open 3 or a dunk.

Maybe there's a shot clock in AAU ball. That may explain why so much emphasis and attention is paid to them.

BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:41 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Nope, I don’t like this type of cryptic thing at all. Nope, not at all. Now I’m going to be worried that KP isn’t coming back.

BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:11 pm

If everyone comes back from this team then next year can be a special year. I am a bigger fan of Dusan than most but he is a backup big, if he leaves then Bates should be able to fill his shoes. Losing KP is a much bigger loss, he will be a big part of any success we hope to have next year. Adding Jones is big because he was came highly touted and can fill KP's role but you never want to place a ton of pressure on A) a freshman or B) A guy coming back from major surgery (and he is both).

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
We have 13 scholarships, we are using 13 scholarships. We have one senior and we have one commit. Math is easy.
This was way back on 1/23. Just a day after Tim told us that Nate would be back by the end of the week. Tim Cowie apparently knows that Cal, Malcolm, or Pat is on scholarship. He doesn't want to say which one it is. There are only 15 players on the roster. I'd love to see Cowie's list of the 13 scholarships that we are currently using.
https://davidsonwildcats.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:16 pm

BDL wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:41 pm
collegecoach8502 wrote:
Nope, I don’t like this type of cryptic thing at all. Nope, not at all. Now I’m going to be worried that KP isn’t coming back.
I read that to mean that Cowie doesn't think we have any additional scholarships to award. I expect next year's freshman class to be Mike Jones, David Kristensen, and one more guy. Add another beyond that if someone doesn't return. I'll be stunned if KP doesn't come back.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

BDL

Post by BDL » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:50 pm

i77cat wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:16 pm
BDL wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:
I read that to mean that Cowie doesn't think we have any additional scholarships to award. I expect next year's freshman class to be Mike Jones, David Kristensen, and one more guy. Add another beyond that if someone doesn't return. I'll be stunned if KP doesn't come back.
I hope so much that you're right. Going on your interpretation then, I want to hold the two scholarships for Dallion Johnson and Justice (both of whom we seem to have a great shot at).

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:31 pm

i77cat wrote:
BDL wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:

I will clarify. 12 scholarships currently in use. 3 available for next year. One given out for incoming recruit. Two left. One, perhaps two for new recruits. Perhaps only one if we use one for current walk-on.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:32 pm

i77cat wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13 pm
collegecoach8502 wrote:
This was way back on 1/23. Just a day after Tim told us that Nate would be back by the end of the week. Tim Cowie apparently knows that Cal, Malcolm, or Pat is on scholarship. He doesn't want to say which one it is. There are only 15 players on the roster. I'd love to see Cowie's list of the 13 scholarships that we are currently using.
https://davidsonwildcats.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

The "Nate in a week" was a failed joke.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:39 pm

collegecoach8502 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:31 pm
i77cat wrote:
BDL wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:

I will clarify. 12 scholarships currently in use. 3 available for next year. One given out for incoming recruit. Two left. One, perhaps two for new recruits. Perhaps only one if we use one for current walk-on.
Got it. Nate in a week was a joke. I'm glad you changed the count of the current scholarships from 13 to 12. That matches what the rest of us were claiming last month. You apparently know of one player who is leaving. I've heard the same, but I don't know if we've heard the same name. I certainly won't be mentioning it publicly.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:45 pm

i77cat wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:39 pm
collegecoach8502 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:31 pm
i77cat wrote:
BDL wrote:
collegecoach8502 wrote:

Got it. Nate in a week was a joke. I'm glad you changed the count of the current scholarships from 13 to 12. That matches what the rest of us were claiming last month. You apparently know of one player who is leaving. I've heard the same, but I don't know if we've heard the same name. I certainly won't be mentioning it publicly.

Grey area on walk-on making 12 or 13. Heard varying stories. Senior night is Wednesday.

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:45 am

Whether a redshirt junior at Davidson decides to stay another year is always a personal decision and never a certainty.