Post by catnhat » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:33 am

Sometimes the Dr Rick ads hit too close to home

Dr. Bliss

Re: No limit on stupid

Post by Dr. Bliss » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:53 am

catnhat wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:33 am
Not being much a a consumer of network TV I had missed a lot of these, so I had to pull up a bunch of them, and I agree with you. I was seeing myself the other day when I had to rent a car for the first time in a long time. The twenty-something Enterprise guy handed me the key fob and I said, "Uh, hey, my vehicle is like ten years old and starts with a key--would you mind showing me how to start this thing?"
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

cat44

Post by cat44 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:56 am

I checked Kenpom rankings of teams around us yesterday, before and after the games were played. There were some head scratchers, but this belongs in no limits ... . Duke was #60 before losing to Louisville. After the loss they moved up to #32. We moved from #75 to #67. Western Kentucky won and went down from #76 to #84. I've felt that Kenpom used the best metrics for rating teams. After the Duke debacle I'm not too sure.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:06 pm

From the URI board: "I actually think Hyland is the best guard in the A10, or at least if I were drafting a team with A10 players from scratch, I roll the dice choosing between Fatts and Hyland and wouldn't be disappointed at all if I got Crutcher. Those are the three best guards in the conference, in whatever order you put them."

Hyland is probably one of the top 3 guards in the conference. Crutcher certainly is. Goodwin is top 3. Grady, Lofton, Bishop are all very good. Fatts? He used to be very good. He's playing with injuries now. Can't shoot a bit. Awful decisions. Not a top 10 A10 guard this season.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

GoCats

Post by GoCats » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:16 am

I don't think of Fatts as a shooter. In fact he is a poor shooter - about 33% for his career
"That wasn't an upset tonight," Kansas coach Bill Self said glumly. "They controlled the game," Self said. "They whipped us."
Davidson 80 Kansas 74

dorp

Post by dorp » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:23 am

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:29 am

That shouldn't cause a problem with coronavirus transmission...should it? 🤔

graveline

Post by graveline » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:38 pm

Hey, when you beat the 9th best team in the ACC, I say throw caution to the wind...

Unc was open in person for all of a week in the fall....they were scheduled to kick back up Monday, can’t imagine this will help
If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it

TOK

Post by TOK » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:02 pm

Dr. Bliss wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:53 am
catnhat wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:33 am
Not being much a a consumer of network TV I had missed a lot of these, so I had to pull up a bunch of them, and I agree with you. I was seeing myself the other day when I had to rent a car for the first time in a long time. The twenty-something Enterprise guy handed me the key fob and I said, "Uh, hey, my vehicle is like ten years old and starts with a key--would you mind showing me how to start this thing?"
Every time I rent a car for work there is some new gadget that I have never seen before. My "new" Miata and our pickup are both is 21 years old, so the cruise control doesn't automatically slow down when you get close to another car. I rented a car that did that and thought that was a pretty cool feature. In 15 or 20 years, I will probably own a car that can do that for me, it sure makes cruise control a little more useful.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:48 pm

When they service my car, they bring a fancier one as a loaner and leave it over night. The first time they brought an A6 with a sticker near $65K and only 300 miles. It was overkill for the trip to the PO and Harris Teeter. I might have tried to figure out more stuff if I had known I would have it that long. Fortunately, the main stuff worked as in my car other than I couldn’t tune the radio to FM, so I just stuck with satellite. Driving home on Concord Road, I set the cruise control to 25, as usual. When I turned left on Grey Road, it reset itself to 35, which was the speed limit at the time. There wasn’t enough traffic back then for it to slow down for a car in front. I experienced that with the next loaner. The new version of my car comes with that standard. At the rate I am driving, my car should easily outlast me. But as I age, I could see having more automated features. If I’m still breathing and driving, so maybe that would be a good 80th birthday present. 80 was the age when my father quit driving. He died 13 years ago. He still gets postcards sent to my PO box, which never was his address, warning him that the extended warranty on his car (which was junked 21 years ago) is running out.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:38 am

graveline wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:38 pm
Hey, when you beat the 9th best team in the ACC, I say throw caution to the wind...

Unc was open in person for all of a week in the fall....they were scheduled to kick back up Monday, can’t imagine this will help
The majority of UNC instructors are still teaching remotely today (and for the rest of the semester).

But my concern is not for the faculty, almost all of whom can continue working remotely. It's for the other students, the residence staff, the custodial staff, the food service workers, the lab assistants -- all of whom must continue working in spaces shared by the kids who just can't not party.

And while I don't think UNC had any business trying for in-person learning last semester or this one, I reject the "but they're kids and kids make bad decisions" argument. The vast majority of these kids are making excellent decisions. They're staying home. They're staying distant. They're wearing masks and having zoom happy hours and putting up with an all-virtual college experience without complaint. It's a small minority who aren't mature enough to follow the rules who are destroying it for everyone else. A few bad apples really do ruin the bushel: https://www.instagram.com/whereyallgoin_unc/

Go Cats (but please 'go' virtually when you can, ok?)
she/hers

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:51 pm

More fallout from UNC celebrations following defeat of Duke.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... o-surfaces

cat44

Post by cat44 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:17 am

So if they didn't have the video, it was ok to play? As if player had not partied at all before this? We are becoming a bunch of mind numb robots.I'll ask the question again. We have interrupted the lives of millions of students. How many have had severe effects from covid, or more severe effects than they have from "ordinary" flu? If there are bona fide stats that tell us students have been effected significantly more than with the flu, I'll be glad to shut up.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:03 am

Not an expert...didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express, so this may be "spitting in the wind". As a starting place you could review the available information on MIS-C, transmission rates among 20-49 year olds, viral myocarditis, etc.

On the other side, you could explore the deleterious effects of social isolation, stress-based medical conditions, and increased incidences of depression and suicide among teens and young adults.

I don't have statistics, but anecdotally the disease, and our reaction to the disease--for better or worse--dwarfs anything I have encountered in my nearly 65 years of life. I believe it is very real and it is very serious.

I also think that the worst effect of the disease is that it has revealed that a significant portion of our population--not just college-age kids--when confronted with an uncomfortable truth, or with the need to demonstrate self-sacrifice in support of others--have chosen to hide...or to run, but not fight for one another (including elderly, and other vulnerable groups, among which middle-age and young people are represented).

Like many others, I want to enjoy sports.
However, inflexibile thought, and careless action has caused, and will continue to cause, as much disruption in our enjoyment of these activities as does the disease itself. In that sense, 44, you are correct, the disease in not the biggest problem we face, the enemy (as always) is us.

I remain hopeful....

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:35 am

Go Cats - land the plane. :roll:
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri