Pay for Play & Lawsuits

2018 A10 Champions!
85Wildcatsky

Pay for Play & Lawsuits

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Fri May 24, 2024 12:35 pm

NIL may become a mute subject. Events are changing rapidly.

NCAA settlement

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ay-players

If this is implimented, I am done. I have a tough time with the borish attitudes of current players with the portal. If players are salaried I firmly believe that is the end of the student athlete. (If not there already) I can't see schools like Davidson joining this crazy model. Schools will have to set up a whole different department to litigate and manage all of this. Taxes, healthcare, salaries, pensions, etc. At some schools the greatest number of employees could be the athletes.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

stevelee

Re: Pay for Play & Lawsuits

Post by stevelee » Fri May 24, 2024 12:43 pm

The settlement in effect has other conferences subsidizing the power conferences.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Waitress

Post by Waitress » Fri May 24, 2024 4:58 pm

85Wildcatsky wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:35 pm
NIL may become a mute subject. Events are changing rapidly.

NCAA settlement

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ay-players

If this is implimented, I am done. I have a tough time with the borish attitudes of current players with the portal. If players are salaried I firmly believe that is the end of the student athlete. (If not there already) I can't see schools like Davidson joining this crazy model. Schools will have to set up a whole different department to litigate and manage all of this. Taxes, healthcare, salaries, pensions, etc. At some schools the greatest number of employees could be the athletes.

You rang?
Conor Bree

~Tip well.

GoCats

Post by GoCats » Sat May 25, 2024 12:38 am

stevelee wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:43 pm
The settlement in effect has other conferences subsidizing the power conferences.
+1
"That wasn't an upset tonight," Kansas coach Bill Self said glumly. "They controlled the game," Self said. "They whipped us."
Davidson 80 Kansas 74

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Sat May 25, 2024 5:40 am

It is only a matter of time before star academic recruits want to get their piece of this pie. Also, Band members, club leaders, artists, mathematicians, and other gifted and committed individuals in service to these universities should be lining up to receive financial inducements over and above scholarship costs to attend these schools.

The schools will simply raise tuition and the government will be forced to increase grants and loans. We will all pay much more to support this new reality.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sat May 25, 2024 11:05 am

Non-athletes have never been prohibited from receiving pay while in school. Whether a school will pay over and above a scholarship for a cellist or thespian is up to the school. Until these students generate considerable revenue the market probably won’t support recruiting with pay.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Sat May 25, 2024 11:57 am

I made work-study money turning pages for Mr. Welsh when he played for Vespers. I also work one evening a week in the music library. Neither disqualified me as an amateur musician.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Sat May 25, 2024 12:03 pm

MrMac wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 5:40 am
It is only a matter of time before star academic recruits want to get their piece of this pie. Also, Band members, club leaders, artists, mathematicians, and other gifted and committed individuals in service to these universities should be lining up to receive financial inducements over and above scholarship costs to attend these schools.

The schools will simply raise tuition and the government will be forced to increase grants and loans. We will all pay much more to support this new reality.
Grad schools do this already for promising applicants.
she/hers

85Wildcatsky

Post by 85Wildcatsky » Sat May 25, 2024 3:55 pm

MrMac wrote:

Engineering could be next. My son is a PHD engineer who graduated from Michigan. My son, his peers, and I were having this discussion. They are severely limited on royalties from any of their patents and research. Many schools make big bucks from these breakthroughs. I could see them all asking for more if the schools continue to waste all this money on athletics.
Pioneer League Football Champions 2020
Pioneer League Football Champions 2021 :D
FCS Playoffs 2020
FCS Playoffs 2021
FCS Playoffs 2022

cat44

Post by cat44 » Sat May 25, 2024 9:36 pm

slowcat95 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 12:03 pm
MrMac wrote:

Grad schools do this already for promising applicants.
My oldest daughter was the recipient of this when she got her masters and Ph D in nursing at UC San Francisco. I did her taxes her first year and with grants and working at a clinic her agi was over $100,000 her first year. She married and her husband did their returns after that. But I will attest that graduate schools will pay significantly for students they want.