Congratulations Matt Matheny

2018 A10 Champions!
seamac77

Congratulations Matt Matheny

Post by seamac77 » Tue May 21, 2024 2:52 pm

Coach Matheny inducted into the Iredell County Sports HOF last night.

https://www.iredellfreenews.com/news-fe ... rs-photos/
"Statistics are like bikinis. They show a lot, but they don't show everything." - Bob McKillop

MrMac

Re: Congratulations Matt Matheny

Post by MrMac » Tue May 21, 2024 3:38 pm

After a 10-year (1993-2003) stint as an assistant coach...
?

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue May 21, 2024 4:47 pm

I lived in northern Iredell County 1984–1988. North Iredell was the local high school, and I think all of the kids in our youth group attended there. Being out in the middle of nowhere, our church had about the only functioning youth group, even though there were a few larger churches around. So we had Catholics who didn’t want to drive back into Statesville to go to youth programs with kids they didn’t know as well as some Baptists. So in terms of both activities and numbers, we had a strong group. Ashton Loyd was active in the group. He had an aunt in our choir, and the family singing group sang at our church on special occasions.

I attended occasional North Iredell football games, including a time we took the church bus to a game at Shelby High. People didn’t give me hard time for yelling for my school even as I sat among the Raiders fans. Their star quarterback was Matt Matheny. I saw him play many times, but had not met him until he and Ashton showed up to help load my stuff into the truck when I was moving. They didn’t know that I had gone to Davidson, and I didn’t know they were heading to Davidson to play football, so the subject didn’t come up.

The summer that Matt returned here, I met his dad David at the after-hours scrimmages. We shared what we knew about what had become of Matt’s high school classmates, and became instant old friends. David is like that anyway, as many of you know.

You’ve probably seen ads at games for Ashton’s insurance firm, and he has sung the SSB at games over the years. I was glad to see that he was involved in the HOF ceremony.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue May 21, 2024 5:59 pm

MrMac wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:38 pm
After a 10-year (1993-2003) stint as an assistant coach...
?
That's correct. But poorly edited. He was a Davidson assistant for 10 years, then the associate head coach for 6 years.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue May 21, 2024 6:00 pm

Nice to see Jimmy Popp recognized. Fantastic career.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

JoMo

Post by JoMo » Thu May 23, 2024 1:48 pm

stevelee wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:47 pm
I lived in northern Iredell County 1984–1988. North Iredell was the local high school, and I think all of the kids in our youth group attended there. Being out in the middle of nowhere, our church had about the only functioning youth group, even though there were a few larger churches around. So we had Catholics who didn’t want to drive back into Statesville to go to youth programs with kids they didn’t know as well as some Baptists. So in terms of both activities and numbers, we had a strong group. Ashton Loyd was active in the group. He had an aunt in our choir, and the family singing group sang at our church on special occasions.

I attended occasional North Iredell football games, including a time we took the church bus to a game at Shelby High. People didn’t give me hard time for yelling for my school even as I sat among the Raiders fans. Their star quarterback was Matt Matheny. I saw him play many times, but had not met him until he and Ashton showed up to help load my stuff into the truck when I was moving. They didn’t know that I had gone to Davidson, and I didn’t know they were heading to Davidson to play football, so the subject didn’t come up.

The summer that Matt returned here, I met his dad David at the after-hours scrimmages. We shared what we knew about what had become of Matt’s high school classmates, and became instant old friends. David is like that anyway, as many of you know.

You’ve probably seen ads at games for Ashton’s insurance firm, and he has sung the SSB at games over the years. I was glad to see that he was involved in the HOF ceremony.
Ashton spent a year as an assistant coach (OL) at Davidson after graduation. He was my position coach as a freshman, but he left to go sell insurance after that one season.
TCC - trust, commitment, care