Portal

2018 A10 Champions!
i77cat

Re: Portal

Post by i77cat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:07 pm

Sure, for schools interested in academic requirements. Most will be happy to waive those for athletes.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:26 pm

i77cat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:07 pm
Sure, for schools interested in academic requirements. Most will be happy to waive those for athletes.
So what else is new?
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:04 pm

quickcat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm
i77cat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:35 am
I wonder how long we have to wait until athletes can transfer mid-season? Start well and get called up? Get hurt and get sent to the Big South on a rehab assignment? Sure. Why not? NCAA can't stop anything at this point.
There’s an Alabama football player who has entered the portal 3 times since mid-January!
At some point he has to ask himself, "Am I doing this right?"

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:23 pm

i77cat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:31 am
I've heard the following question:

Would Davidson be in a better space if we spent $20M less on the new facility and channeled those donations to NIL?

Invest 20M and spend 1M annually on NIL. It'd be a nice start. I love the new facility, though. It benefits every sport on campus. And it's the only facility on campus where the Wildcats are undefeated! Not only did the lacrosse team exorcise football's shabby showing against Dayton by closing Richardson with a win, they've won all their games on the new field.
Had an "inside" tour of it today. It's fantastic...for all athletes, but especially for those using that playing field as well as field hockey and baseball.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

quickcat

Post by quickcat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:50 pm

MrMac wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:04 pm
quickcat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm
i77cat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:35 am
I wonder how long we have to wait until athletes can transfer mid-season? Start well and get called up? Get hurt and get sent to the Big South on a rehab assignment? Sure. Why not? NCAA can't stop anything at this point.
There’s an Alabama football player who has entered the portal 3 times since mid-January!
At some point he has to ask himself, "Am I doing this right?"
Right… maybe he just keeps forgetting to mark it as completed on his to-do list 😅

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:25 pm

citycat

Post by citycat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:47 pm

TJ Power of Duke has entered the portal. This is no drill!

He was a much ballyhooed recruit, but played little for Duke. He went to one of those New England prep schools our admissions people love.

He has 3 years of eligibility left and could earn more than a Welding Certificate if he attended Davidson.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:29 am

bagelcat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:02 am
From the Field of 68:

More than 1,600 men’s college basketball players have entered the transfer portal since it opened on March 17. It closes for undergraduates on May 1.

A rough estimate means that about 35%-40% of players are in the portal.

Get used to it. The NCAA D-I Council approved changes to transfer rules on Wednesday that will allow undergraduates to transfer and play immediately regardless of how many times they’ve previously transferred.

Further, the new rules stipulate that “academic requirements will replace previous year-in-residence requirement for student-athletes transferring more than once as undergraduates.” Keep your grades up, and you’re eligible. This also covers anyone who transferred during the 2023-24 academic year.

An lawsuit had been filed v. the NCAA with regard to their provision that a second time transfer had sit out one year. The suit had been joined by the Justice Dept (why, I don't know). The NCAA, having such a stellar record in court cases, declined to be pinata again (there's probably a way for me to do the squiggly line above the "n," but I barely know how to turn on a computer).
Maybe the NCAA will also eliminate any restrictions on the maximum number of years student-athletes can play. Then DC can recruit some more ballers to fill out the basketball team for as many years as it works well for them and the team. Their age and tenure will add significantly to the classroom and social experience on campus. They’ll be able to advise first-year students on what courses/majors/professors to take because they will have taken every course along the way. And the move to pay for play should mean we can bring back players after they pursue pro careers. Once Peyton is done with Europe, he could come back to Davidson to play basketball again (and—very importantly—get a certificate). How much fun would it be to see a 40+-year-old Steph Curry as A10 POY? Could he win it into his 50s?!

CatDawg

Post by CatDawg » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 am

Hard to believe we get $85mm for Library and nothing for NIL or did we??

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:05 am

Colleges/universities don’t pay out NIL dollars. Davidson would not receive a donation for NIL. Fans/corporations/whatever that want to funnel money to Davidson athletes would give money to one of the independent but Davidson-connected collectives.

Most of the money for the library came from the Duke Endowment. I’m pretty sure giving money to NIL collectives is not within their mission.

ScootCat

Post by ScootCat » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am

Where is Steph in all this?
Esse Quam Videri

bvgerd

Post by bvgerd » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:16 am

NIL is still a strange thing for me to come to grips with. Im glad others are more excited and willing to invest in it, NIL efforts are necessary if we want to compete in athletics in the new landscape of college sports, but I have a hard time being willing to move from making a gift to Davidson to make improvements at the school or to help fund programs and activities on campus and instead give funds to these separate NIL funds. I can see parallels where you can ask if making an NIL contribution is really that different from giving a gift for a scholarship fund, but it still feels much more disconnected from the school and community which is what I want to promote.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:35 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... am-memphis

Why so little? Just 25M over 5 years.

Agreed, Cowie. Jamie gave a tour to me and Beth. Fabulous. It benefits everyone. That weight room is sweet. Another person gave me a locker room tour. That will help recruiting.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 pm

One of my best April Fool's Day jokes was telling a friend and fellow alum that Steph had announced that he was coming back to Davidson to complete his degree and use his final year of eligibility after his pro career ended. She took hook, line and sinker.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 pm

i77cat wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:35 pm
Agreed, Cowie. Jamie gave a tour to me and Beth. Fabulous. It benefits everyone. That weight room is sweet. Another person gave me a locker room tour. That will help recruiting.
One of my classmates has toured the facilities, and he was especially impressed by the locker room. He didn’t go into detail about why it beats the men’s basketball locker room, which doesn’t look too shabby to me. I never saw the old football locker room, but guess it wouldn’t have been hard to improve on.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ