Re: Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

Post by catnhat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:17 pm

Don’t you mean dancing?

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:19 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:39 pm
No public ties to us or inside info, but I figured worth mentioning 2021 Sheick Samoura since he is high academic (4.2 GPA and 1450 SAT) and local, and we have open roster spots: https://ncpreps.rivals.com/news/sheick- ... w-his-name

Looks like a similar mold to Watson and Ford (athletic, long, versatile, needs to improve jumper) except more of a PG. Recent decommit from Air Force. Could be an interesting guy to add to the class even if it's for developmental upside, and even if he is a similar mold to our current commits, the strength of all of them is versatility so I don't see that as a problem (except that we definitely need to add some shooting to this class). Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Some twitter video of him: https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/1 ... 16641?s=20
Undefeated Fuquay Varina (and Sheick Samoura) hosts undefeated Apex Friendship (and Kenny Noland--who Davidson has been publicly linked to) tonight in what should be a compelling game.

Game is at 7 and can, apparently, be watched at link here (where coverage appears to start at 6:30):

https://twitter.com/MasercolaMiles/stat ... 04737?s=20

Dr. Bliss

Post by Dr. Bliss » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:05 pm

catnhat wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:17 pm
Don’t you mean dancing?
Man. You totally beat me to it.
"There ain't no sanity clause!" Chico Marx

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:13 pm

BDL wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:14 pm
Davidson has one of the highest retention rates in the country for a reason. If you put in effort and get help when you need it you’ll graduate. (I think this is a testament to the phenomenal professors the school employs and the various avenues of help the school provides)
Davidson has always to my knowledge paid less attention to test scores than a lot of selective schools. Being small and not having that huge a number of applications (until recent years) has allowed close scrutiny to other factors. Recommendations, including from clergy, were weighted heavily, at least back in the day. Stats for my class showed guys rejected with SATs in the upper 1500s and guys admitted below 1300. Character and work ethic are probably better predictors than others for success at Davidson. A couple smart guys, including my freshman roommate, spent more time playing bridge than anything else, and didn’t rejoin us the second year. Two of my friends dropped out twice. It was not for lack of smarts. Davidson has changed in many ways over the years, so I shouldn’t generalize about everything. But I don’t see that much difference in fundamental things. Students I have got to know over the last ten years would have fit in with my class, except for gender in some cases.

As for work ethic, I think that is something we apparently prize highly in recruits. I’ve heard Bob’s reflection on guys at his elite camps besides my observations of players. For a lot, probably most, of them, that carries over into other aspects of life.

As for pastoral recommendations, two parishioners I recommended were not admitted. Both could have done well here and fit well my idea of Davidson students. In one case, two classmates at his rural high school came here as football players. (You would recognize their names.) I could see Davidson not accepting three. He got a big scholarship at State, which might have been a better fit for his interests. The other one, ten years later, was wait-listed, and decided to go on to Wake Forest where his brothers went. He proceeded to ace everything from there through Georgetown think tanks to a prestigious law school, and I lost track after that.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:32 pm

The Stanford students I got to know were PhD students and not athletes, so I don’t know anything directly relevant to their standards. I do know these guys were among the most brilliant people I have met, and I have been, like you guys, privileged to get to know amazingly brilliant folks. Three of them I would put in Cory Young territory. One of them became a faculty member at Princeton in two unrelated departments. (OK, he, maybe even more than I, considered everything related.) He did stupidly mess up my master disk of a French implementation of Lisp, and saved me a week of typing in parentheses.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:34 pm

RichmondCat wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:19 pm
CatsUpNorth wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:39 pm
No public ties to us or inside info, but I figured worth mentioning 2021 Sheick Samoura since he is high academic (4.2 GPA and 1450 SAT) and local, and we have open roster spots: https://ncpreps.rivals.com/news/sheick- ... w-his-name

Looks like a similar mold to Watson and Ford (athletic, long, versatile, needs to improve jumper) except more of a PG. Recent decommit from Air Force. Could be an interesting guy to add to the class even if it's for developmental upside, and even if he is a similar mold to our current commits, the strength of all of them is versatility so I don't see that as a problem (except that we definitely need to add some shooting to this class). Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Some twitter video of him: https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/1 ... 16641?s=20
Undefeated Fuquay Varina (and Sheick Samoura) hosts undefeated Apex Friendship (and Kenny Noland--who Davidson has been publicly linked to) tonight in what should be a compelling game.

Game is at 7 and can, apparently, be watched at link here (where coverage appears to start at 6:30):

https://twitter.com/MasercolaMiles/stat ... 04737?s=20
Apex won the game. Noland was the leading scorer for the game and Samoura was the leading scorer for his team.

https://www.highschoolot.com/noland-s-2 ... /19474766/

RichmondCat

Post by RichmondCat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:18 pm

DCA06 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:00 pm
Myles stute. Vanderbilt
Jerry Stackhouse calling out Myles Stute by name, and not in a good way. Bad look for Stackhouse and Vandy.

https://twitter.com/simongibbs26/status ... 36448?s=21

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:40 pm

There are 356 places where Vandy players could transfer.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

Jay Catsby

Post by Jay Catsby » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:15 pm

RichmondCat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:18 pm
DCA06 wrote:
Myles stute. Vanderbilt
Jerry Stackhouse calling out Myles Stute by name, and not in a good way. Bad look for Stackhouse and Vandy.

Someone should’ve told Stackhouse before he took the job that coaching 18-21 year olds requires a different set of skills than coaching professional adults.

BDL

Post by BDL » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:33 pm

Jay Catsby wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:15 pm
RichmondCat wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:18 pm
DCA06 wrote:
Myles stute. Vanderbilt

Someone should’ve told Stackhouse before he took the job that coaching 18-21 year olds requires a different set of skills than coaching professional adults.
He isn’t going to last long at this rate.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:03 pm

Chris Ford and North Meck are paused. But he was the Charlotte Observer's Player of the Week for his performances already noted earlier in this thread.

Desmond Watson has continued his strong play. Twenty-nine points in a recent win.
Des Watson (6'5 WG / DeSales / 2021): It should come to no surprise that Watson was the clear-cut best player on the floor Friday night. Bishop Hartley threw a multitude of defenders and double teams at him and yet Watson was not to be stopped. His game-high 29 points came via three three-pointers, inside scoring off the dribble and going six-of-seven at the free throw line. Mistakes were hardly found. The athletic wing showed off excellent half-court vision, with crisp, direct passes to teammates underneath the hoop. Watson has the build, talent and character that will not only help lead DeSales deep in the tournament, but also to a successful college career at Davidson.
(Link)

And here's a fun dunk from a previous game: https://twitter.com/JakeSpegal270/statu ... 8233061380.

Watson can hit threes (and is reportedly improving that aspect of his game), but he's not really known as an outside shooter. Ford isn't either. With Kellan and Carter presumably gone after graduating, next year's squad will be light on guard/wing shooters, especially for a Davidson team. The coaches still have three(?*) scholarships available though.

* I count ten that are spoken for: (1) NBY; (2) Luka; (3) MJ; (4) DK; (5) Lee; (6) Sam; (7) Grant; (8) Emory; (9) Ford; and (10) Watson.

BDL

Post by BDL » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:21 pm

Acorn wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:03 pm
Chris Ford and North Meck are paused. But he was the Charlotte Observer's Player of the Week for his performances already noted earlier in this thread.

Desmond Watson has continued his strong play. Twenty-nine points in a recent win.
Des Watson (6'5 WG / DeSales / 2021): It should come to no surprise that Watson was the clear-cut best player on the floor Friday night. Bishop Hartley threw a multitude of defenders and double teams at him and yet Watson was not to be stopped. His game-high 29 points came via three three-pointers, inside scoring off the dribble and going six-of-seven at the free throw line. Mistakes were hardly found. The athletic wing showed off excellent half-court vision, with crisp, direct passes to teammates underneath the hoop. Watson has the build, talent and character that will not only help lead DeSales deep in the tournament, but also to a successful college career at Davidson.
(Link)

And here's a fun dunk from a previous game: https://twitter.com/JakeSpegal270/statu ... 8233061380.

Watson can hit threes (and is reportedly improving that aspect of his game), but he's not really known as an outside shooter. Ford isn't either. With Kellan and Carter presumably gone after graduating, next year's squad will be light on guard/wing shooters, especially for a Davidson team. The coaches still have three(?*) scholarships available though.

* I count ten that are spoken for: (1) NBY; (2) Luka; (3) MJ; (4) DK; (5) Lee; (6) Sam; (7) Grant; (8) Emory; (9) Ford; and (10) Watson.
Im very very excited for Des and Chris but we desperately need some shooting.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:58 am

Acorn wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:03 pm
That would look even better with some more color, like, for instance, red and black. Can't wait.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

cat44

Post by cat44 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:56 pm

David Roddy killing Boise St at the half. Finished with 27 pts 15 rebounds as Colorado St beat Boise St by 22.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:10 pm

cat44 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:56 pm
David Roddy killing Boise St at the half. Finished with 27 pts 15 rebounds as Colorado St beat Boise St by 22.
What a bull.