Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:48 pm

If I had a dollar for every time I've had to rehash an argument I thought was already settled, I'd have earned a day's wages before even getting to work in the morning.
she/hers

Kentuck

Post by Kentuck » Mon May 07, 2018 2:54 pm

I was recently asked about split loyalties before a certain NCAA game. I had no such split. I am a Davidson alum and fan. I really don’t care about other teams. I sent Coach Mckillop a congratulatory email after the A10 tournament. He responded before the bus got home. Pull for another team? I don’t think so.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Mon May 07, 2018 3:20 pm

Steve Rodgers wrote:
stevelee wrote:Wrong continent.
Yes but it's in the same class of jokes where the punch line has become part of the language/culture.
"What do you mean we, paleface?" is a very useful line in the legal profession.
Very useful all around. (Maybe the Bunga Bunga one more useful in the legal profession.)

An expression with sort of the opposite meaning comes to mind. "Do you have a mouse in your pocket?" I haven't heard that one in a long time. It deals with the meaning of "we" in the sense "am I invited, too, or do you have a mouse in your pocket?" Nothing obscene implied, at least in the contexts I heard it.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon May 07, 2018 8:34 pm

"When Davidson grads come to games wearing red and black along with the colors of Davidson's opponent, it annoys me. Those people aren't Davidson fans. They're UNC fans."

Like Tom Ross. I wonder if he regrets it.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

WildCock

Post by WildCock » Mon May 07, 2018 10:43 pm

Having been referenced upthread, I will say again what I have said before. I have no qualms admitting that I am a Gamecock fan. I went to grad school there, I worked there, I taught there, I still live in the area. But I also have no doubt about where my primary rooting interest lies: I am a Davidson fan, first and foremost. In 2009, I sat at the DC-USC NIT game, between my garnet-clad wife and son, proudly wearing Wildcat red. Every year at our ("our" = DC-USC) baseball game, friends who are used to seeing me wearing garnet express surprise in seeing me decked out in Davidson gear.

Many, if not most of the alums on the board went to graduate/professional school. Some developed no attachment to their new school sports program (it took me years to develop a rooting interest in SC athletics). Others became fans of their new schools as well. Not all of those schools are P5. Would you find it strange if a DC alum at Emory became a fan of JZ's team? Similarly, some people grow up with an attachment to another school, possibly developed before they ever hear of Davidson College. Again, nothing strange about that.

I guess I am asking "Why is this a big deal?"
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:27 am

WildCock wrote:Having been referenced upthread, I will say again what I have said before. I have no qualms admitting that I am a Gamecock fan. I went to grad school there, I worked there, I taught there, I still live in the area. But I also have no doubt about where my primary rooting interest lies: I am a Davidson fan, first and foremost. In 2009, I sat at the DC-USC NIT game, between my garnet-clad wife and son, proudly wearing Wildcat red. Every year at our ("our" = DC-USC) baseball game, friends who are used to seeing me wearing garnet express surprise in seeing me decked out in Davidson gear.

Many, if not most of the alums on the board went to graduate/professional school. Some developed no attachment to their new school sports program (it took me years to develop a rooting interest in SC athletics). Others became fans of their new schools as well. Not all of those schools are P5. Would you find it strange if a DC alum at Emory became a fan of JZ's team? Similarly, some people grow up with an attachment to another school, possibly developed before they ever hear of Davidson College. Again, nothing strange about that.

I guess I am asking "Why is this a big deal?"
Not sure if you're asking me or not, but fwiw, I'm not bothered by dual allegiances (although having attended UNC as a grad student, I'm not at all at risk of having to split my loyalties). I just find it confusing to read a post on the kool-aid thread stating that "we are recruiting player X" and have that not mean Davidson.
she/hers

BDF

Post by BDF » Tue May 08, 2018 6:44 am

WildCock wrote: I guess I am asking "Why is this a big deal?"
Because it's May and we've* nothing else to talk about.

* We, for me, always means "Davidson people."
Bob in the huddle during timeout: "Don't listen to BDL!"
Matt: "Coach, that's BDF."
Bob: "What?! There's two of them!?"

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Tue May 08, 2018 6:59 am

It’s a big deal to me because it’s a signal of Davidson’s place in the pecking order. A much lower proportion of USC grads who go on to graduate school at Clemson (or vice versa) call themselves fans of both programs than do Davidson grads who go to UNC. If your response is “well, they’re not rivals!” my reply back is “you’ve hit on precisely the thing that bugs me.” If you can prove to me that just as many (proportionally), say, UNC fans also pull for Duke, and/or if you can satisfactorily explain the absence of such dual allegiances as the product of something other than rivalry and competition over scarcity (claims to being the best), then maybe I’ll change my mind.

As things stand, there are many Davidson grads who are college basketball fans but who principally follow another team (often, around NC, an ACC team). I77’s mentioned one such person. And I’ve got across-the-street neighbors at home and an across-the-hall neighbor at work who fit that description. And two out of three didn’t evenever attend the school they follow. Meanwhile, I’ve got another across-the-hall work neighbor who went to UNC undergrad and Duke grad and who can barely bring herself to display her Duke diploma due to athletics rivalries.

As I said, I don’t really blame the people for having a “real” team. But I really want Davidson to become a good enough program that that’s no longer a thing.

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Tue May 08, 2018 7:48 am

Acorn wrote:It’s a big deal to me because it’s a signal of Davidson’s place in the pecking order. A much lower proportion of USC grads who go on to graduate school at Clemson (or vice versa) call themselves fans of both programs than do Davidson grads who go to UNC. If your response is “well, they’re not rivals!” my reply back is “you’ve hit on precisely the thing that bugs me.” If you can prove to me that just as many (proportionally), say, UNC fans also pull for Duke, and/or if you can satisfactorily explain the absence of such dual allegiances as the product of something other than rivalry and competition over scarcity (claims to being the best), then maybe I’ll change my mind.

As things stand, there are many Davidson grads who are college basketball fans but who principally follow another team (often, around NC, an ACC team). I77’s mentioned one such person. And I’ve got across-the-street neighbors at home and an across-the-hall neighbor at work who fit that description. And two out of three didn’t evenever attend the school they follow. Meanwhile, I’ve got another across-the-hall work neighbor who went to UNC undergrad and Duke grad and who can barely bring herself to display her Duke diploma due to athletics rivalries.

As I said, I don’t really blame the people for having a “real” team. But I really want Davidson to become a good enough program that that’s no longer a thing.
I don't blame them either. Still, I understand your point. For me, at least in basketball, it has been a steady evolution of allegiance--away from the schools of my geography (Syracuse) and my youthful admiration (UNC, Duke) and toward the school.of my heart. This evolution has accelerated over the past 10-15 years as Davidson has demonstrated that they are "big time" in all of the best ways.

When I applied to Davidson, I was all-in. Foolishly perhaps, I did not select a 'safety school'. At a stage of life when I am reverse-aging through my teen years, my fandom is now again without a safety school. That's where I am at; I understand that this may be unique to my personality and development. I take Acorn's statements as positive and aspirational, and not as judgemental in any way of those with other feelings.

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Tue May 08, 2018 9:35 am

My dad was a Davidson man. Took me and my sister to lots of games, came to games when I was a student and for years afterward. But he also supported Duke. ACC basketball was on TV all the time, he admired K, hated UNC, and he wanted to support a team that had a chance to win big games. But he never wore Duke gear to a Davidson game, even when I took him to Duke v Davidson games. My elder daughter had a Davidson season ticket while she was a UNCA student and probably averaged 8 Davidson games each season. She'll cheer for UNCA, but she doesn't know the players. You could call her now and she'd be able to tell you Davidson's starting lineup. Fandom is strong and strange. I think you should support your alma mater, but I'm still glad that my daughters support the team they grew up with. And I'm not ashamed that my dad chose to support Duke in his later years, especially since it came from some clean, pure, UNC hate.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

MLC67

Post by MLC67 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 am

There is, and always will be, only one Camelot. :idea: :!: :twisted:
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for men of good will to do nothing. Eddie Burke

Esse Quam Videri

CatDawg

Post by CatDawg » Tue May 08, 2018 9:46 am

Recruiting please!?!

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue May 08, 2018 9:50 am

stevelee wrote:Wrong continent.
Or maybe not:

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B50E5F4
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Tue May 08, 2018 9:55 am

CatDawg wrote:Recruiting please!?!
Luka, DZ, NBY and MJ rock!

catborn'bred

Post by catborn'bred » Tue May 08, 2018 11:21 am

Just noticed that D.J. Burns has reclassified to the Class of 2018. Don't think we are in his consideration set any longer, but it will be interesting to see where he signed. I assume an announcement is pending.