Newest Kool Aid recruiting thread

2018 A10 Champions!
catborn'bred

Post by catborn'bred » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:47 pm

Interesting about Fleming. As someone familiar with Hawkeye Nation, I know Iowa fans were excited about Fleming's signing. Coach McCaffery, however, signed five interchangeable players last year and only two received minimal playing time. Several have now left the program. Fleming played for a top high school program and has a reputation as a scorer and competitor.

BaseRich306

Post by BaseRich306 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:04 pm

catborn'bred wrote:Interesting about Fleming. As someone familiar with Hawkeye Nation, I know Iowa fans were excited about Fleming's signing. Coach McCaffery, however, signed five interchangeable players last year and only two received minimal playing time. Several have now left the program. Fleming played for a top high school program and has a reputation as a scorer and competitor.
All the usual caveats apply - trust the coaching staff, etc. But I am a little perplexed by this one. I know he was highly regarded coming out of high school but I feel like we're at the level as a program where we don't need to go after guys who don't play at high majors. Those are the schools we want to compete with/match. That being said, all the reviews about Magarity are glowing, and he never broke through on a really bad BC team. So who knows -- it could all come down to studying under Bob McKillop's tutelage. Our coaches do have a knack for seeing and harvesting potential where other coaches don't.

Also, we just signed two long guards. Not that you can ever have enough of that, but, you know.

rbarney

fleming

Post by rbarney » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:09 pm

An interesting list of schools. One wonders whether Davidson is in there for diversity's sake (small vs. large, academically demanding vs. "run of the mill", rural vs. more urban, higher RPI conference vs. one-bid conferences, etc.). Anyone know anything about Oak Hill Academy?

rbarney

Fleming

Post by rbarney » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:12 pm

Rivals had him as a 3* coming out of high school, same as Grady is now.

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:04 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:https://twitter.com/RobHoweHN/status/720684235112120320:
@RobHoweHN wrote:As of now, schools #Hawkeyes transfer Andrew Fleming is considering are Davidson, FL Gulf Coast, Chattanooga & Western Kentucky.
Shooters and the Davidson offense go well together . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyNMQkjptHY

Wildcat92

Post by Wildcat92 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:51 pm

BaseRich306 wrote:
catborn'bred wrote:Interesting about Fleming. As someone familiar with Hawkeye Nation, I know Iowa fans were excited about Fleming's signing. Coach McCaffery, however, signed five interchangeable players last year and only two received minimal playing time. Several have now left the program. Fleming played for a top high school program and has a reputation as a scorer and competitor.
All the usual caveats apply - trust the coaching staff, etc. But I am a little perplexed by this one. I know he was highly regarded coming out of high school but I feel like we're at the level as a program where we don't need to go after guys who don't play at high majors. Those are the schools we want to compete with/match. That being said, all the reviews about Magarity are glowing, and he never broke through on a really bad BC team. So who knows -- it could all come down to studying under Bob McKillop's tutelage. Our coaches do have a knack for seeing and harvesting potential where other coaches don't.

Also, we just signed two long guards. Not that you can ever have enough of that, but, you know.
Some guys don't play for reasons other than their ability. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.
"When Davidson’s offense is clicking, the reads upon reads of its motion offense unfold like some masterful concerto." - SLAM Magazine. 10/27/15

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Fleming looks like a good one. 3 state titles in Tennessee, 47-1 at Oak Hill. http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-b ... 75127.html
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

mccabemi

Post by mccabemi » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:51 pm

He's a player.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:44 am

BaseRich306 wrote:

I'll let Magarity know that he's not needed. I would put him in the category of what you just described above. Someone who averaged just over 10 minutes a game and not utilized by their former program. I would still take another Clint Mann in a heart beat as well.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

MrMac

Re: fleming

Post by MrMac » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:00 am

rbarney wrote:An interesting list of schools. One wonders whether Davidson is in there for diversity's sake (small vs. large, academically demanding vs. "run of the mill", rural vs. more urban, higher RPI conference vs. one-bid conferences, etc.). Anyone know anything about Oak Hill Academy?
This one?

http://m.ranker.com/list/famous-oak-hil ... /reference

Fair to middling basketball program....

Wildcat98

Post by Wildcat98 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:14 am

collegecoach8502 wrote:
BaseRich306 wrote:

I'll let Magarity know that he's not needed. I would put him in the category of what you just described above. Someone who averaged just over 10 minutes a game and not utilized by their former program. I would still take another Clint Mann in a heart beat as well.
Our recent experience with accepting incoming transfers has been outstanding. The only way it could have been better was if that other Curry kid had come here from Liberty.
"Turn on the game, Steph Curry is heating up" is the most exciting sports-related text you can send or receive right now. If I'm at dinner and you send me that, I'm splitting toward the bar like a doctor who just had his "EMERGENCY!" beeper go off.

BaseRich306

Post by BaseRich306 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:35 am

collegecoach8502 wrote:
BaseRich306 wrote:

Right, because that's exactly what I said.

CatsUpNorth

Post by CatsUpNorth » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:58 am

https://twitter.com/Flight22bball/statu ... 9362138112:
@RobPeterson22 w/ high interest from Wofford & Davidson will be in action this weekend @BigShotsNation Myrtle Beach

Acorn

Post by Acorn » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:07 pm

CatsUpNorth wrote:https://twitter.com/Flight22bball/statu ... 9362138112:
@RobPeterson22 w/ high interest from Wofford & Davidson will be in action this weekend @BigShotsNation Myrtle Beach
Buzz Peterson's son, no?

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:42 pm

"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge