Bryan Adrian

A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
rsgwynn1

Bryan Adrian

Post by rsgwynn1 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:52 am

I graduated in '69 and vividly remember the last second loss to UNC in the Eastern Regionals. I recently wondered how the Cats did the next year, Mike Maloy's last and Terry Holland's first. They won the conference but lost in the NCAA first round. Now here's what's weird. The leading scorer on that team was not Maloy but a guy named Bryan Adrian.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /1970.html

Adrian played in only six games the next year ('70-'71) and is not on the roster for '71-'72. He died in 2010. Here's a memorial article.

https://greensborosports.com/2010/05/10 ... rious-man/

He does appear as a freshman in my 1969 Q&C. I guess he had a glorious season as a sophomore, was injured early on as a junior, and stopped playing.

Does anyone remember him?
Last edited by rsgwynn1 on Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i77cat

Re: Bryan Adrian

Post by i77cat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:38 am

There is a thread called BRYAN ADRIAN in the Hall of Fame area.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

wildforthecats

Post by wildforthecats » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:25 am

Adrian lived in Matthews NC where I live, I would see him around from time to time.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:24 am

Does anyone have access to Scott Fowler's Observer article from May 9, 2010? I can't find it online, as the Observer doesn't seem to have archives, among other things.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

mdickensdc

Post by mdickensdc » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:25 pm

I googled around a bit to see if I could find the Charlotte Observer article I did find the article below that offers a whole other perspective about Bryan Adrian’s post Davidson Basketball camps.

From the article
Marciniak worked for legendary camp counselor Bryan Adrian in North Carolina for four years after graduating from Kent State. Adrian, a star player for Davidson in the early 1970s, built one of the most successful basketball camps in the country. Future NBA stars Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, Vince Carter, Grant Hill and Jerry Stackhouse were among the participants in that camp.

“I was a recreation major at Kent State and always knew I wanted to get into sports,” Marciniak said. “Adrian had a great reputation, and I did just about everything from hanging posters advertising the camp at businesses to doing the accounting to sweeping the floors basically.”

It was during his four-year stint with Adrian where his dream began to take shape.

“Adrian was a tough guy to work for, wasn’t always the nicest guy but he had an extremely successful camp,” Marciniak said. “He was bringing in $450,000 a year or something. I began to think, ‘I’m nicer than this guy, I’m good with kids, I should give this a try.’”

https://archive.naplesnews.com/communit ... 1331.html/

Cat Forever

Post by Cat Forever » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:45 pm

I watched Bryan Adrian torch the Gamecocks in Columbia on fuzzy Channel 4 TV from Greenville, S.C. in 1970. I sent in my acceptance for admission to Davidson the next day. Unfortunately he only played a few games in 70-71. But he played enough against USC in Charlotte to make a great steal and call a miracle timeout as he was going out of bounds ... great hands. McGuire went nuts when the ref gave Brian the timeout. Also long enough to see Adrian call Tom Owens a " big p--sy" as he walked directly in front of Owens who was waiting at the FT line to take a FT. The Davidson student section at courtside was great in those days.
America: A country so great that billions want to come here and even her haters won’t leave.