A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
stevelee

Annual Report

Post by stevelee » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

stevelee

Re: Annual Report

Post by stevelee » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:33 pm

The new Guide to Giving has information about the current level of scholarships in each sport in addition to what you'd expect about giving clubs and such.

So even if you don't need to check up on the mechanics for donations right now, there are likely to be things you will find of interest.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

citycat

Post by citycat » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:18 pm

I've looked at the scholarship allotments for the various sports and was surprised by some of them:

1) Men's soccer. We award 2.32 scholarships out of a possible 9.9. One would think the excitement over hosting and making the College Cup would have translated into more scholarship support over the years. We have spent a lot of money on soccer the past 30 years, tearing down part of the football stadium to accommodate a soccer field and then building a new soccer stadium elsewhere. If some of that money had endowed scholarships we might have had more success on the pitch.

2) Field hockey. 1.97 scholarships? Wouldn't 2.0 feel much better? It would take $48,000 to endow the additional $2,400. Why not have a "reverse telethon" and call Field Hockey alums, parents, and other donors and see if the amount can be raised? Have an annual match/game with a big pre/post event party. Davidson has sponsored Field Hockey since the mid-late '70s. We've never had much success, but that's not surprising when we only award 1.97 out of the 12.0 scholarships allowed.

3) *Men's swimming. 2.87? Davidson has sponsored swimming since water was invented. An alum was charged with raising money for swimming scholarships in the '90s, but Terry Holland pulled the rug out from under the effort in one of his last acts as Athletic Director. With all the swimming alumni, we should do better than 2.87 scholarships each for the men's and women's teams. *I confused Men's swimming and tennis. We have 2.87 for both swimming teams and 2.15 for men's tennis. 2.15 out of 4.5 possible is 47.8% of the maximum for men's tennis.

4) Women's basketball. We give 13 out of 15. If we want to win the A10, we need to award as many scholarships as our conference opponents. Maybe we're waiting to win and then have a campaign. We might need those 2 scholarships to win the A10.

5) Women's soccer. 6.25 out of 14. We should do better "relatively" in women's soccer, especially when one contrasts the number of women's scholarships to men's.

6) Volleyball and Wrestling. Both have 3.55. Is that a coincidence? We win very little in wrestling, but we have a full roster this year. Wrestling may be the last sport to recover from COVID. Our volleyball program does a good job finding famous people's daughters and sisters to play and coach. That might pay off eventually.

7) When the economy improves and the donations from the last campaign come in, we should conduct a campaign with a specific goal for athletic scholarships. Allow people to donate to any sport they wish to, but emphasize the sports that need scholarship help.
Last edited by citycat on Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:53 pm

citycat wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:18 pm

7) When the economy improves and the donations from the last campaign come in, we should conduct a campaign with a specific goal for athletic scholarships. Allow people to donate to any sport they wish to, but emphasize the sports that need scholarship help.
That's suppose to be a part of the current campaign.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:57 pm

Transparency, facts, and figures should help any campaign.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

citycat

Post by citycat » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:39 am

I made a Major Mistake in my earlier post on this thread. Not like hiring Coach Majors at Tennessee, which was not a mistake, but in misstating the number of men's swimming scholarships. No one noticed, or if s/he did, s/he wasn't compelled to correct me.

dorp

Post by dorp » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:45 pm

I noticed, and wasn't compelled. I spent time in the past wondering how contributions to the general scholarship fund never nudged that number higher. I've given up that concern.

citycat

Post by citycat » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:46 pm

I'm bumping this to the top of the totem pole because Steve Lee included a link to the most recent Athletic Report. It provides the most recent scholarship information for the men's and women's teams.

Thank you, Steve Lee!