DAF report

A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
stevelee

DAF report

Post by stevelee » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:04 pm

From today's email:
We are proud to share that the DAF raised nearly $6 million in scholarship endowment commitments. Davidson remains a national leader in alumni participation, reaching 49 percent in overall alumni giving. Scholar-athlete alumni participation topped out at 52.8 percent, which is consistently higher than the national average. These resources provide our scholar-athletes with the opportunity to pursue excellence in competition and in the classroom.

Davidson College placed a record 314 scholar-athletes on the 2019-20 Atlantic 10 Commissioner's Honor Roll. Davidson's previous high was 271 honorees in 2018-19. To qualify for the Commissioner's Honor Roll, a scholar-athlete must have a 3.0 year-long GPA and compete in an A-10 sponsored sport. Davidson had the fourth-most athletes recognized in the conference.

As we move into a new fundraising year, we will continue to place a priority on securing scholarship support for our 21 Division I programs. Please be on the lookout for future communications from our office about how to get involved.

We hope to see you this fall at athletic events. Again, thank you for your continued support of Davidson Athletics.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

MrMac

Re: DAF report

Post by MrMac » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:10 pm

Well, that sounds hopeful.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:50 pm

So almost $6 mil in endowed athletic scholarships is roughly the equivalent of 5 full rides. I wonder how much of this will go to new scholarships and how much will go to endow scholarships we already give but budget differently.

A while back I saw a chart or display showing how many athletic scholarships we give. That was before the Game Changers Campaign was completed. Does anyone know how many we now give, how many are endowed, and how they are divvied up?

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:14 pm

As a baseline, in '14-'15 Davidson awarded $3,072,446 in athletically related student aid. If a scholarship cost $60,000, that would be 51.2 scholarships.

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:18 pm

citycat wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:14 pm
As a baseline, in '14-'15 Davidson awarded $3,072,446 in athletically related student aid. If a scholarship cost $60,000, that would be 51.2 scholarships.
Which after men's and women's basketball (assuming the numbers above are roughly correct), that would have left 26 scholarships for all of our other sports.
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:23 pm

It was reported by the school and was posted here several years ago. Some in the know tell us all these numbers are lies, so who knows.

At that time, we were giving 13 scholarships for men's and women's basketball each. The NCAA allows 15 for women's basketball. Maybe the school could have a mini-campaign to add two women's hoops scholarships so we're going toe to toe with the other A10 Women's programs.

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:22 pm

Golf (M) has been reported to have received some donations toward endowed schollies. How many I don’t know, but recruiting has been pretty good for several years. The NCAA max for golf is 4.5 scholarships divided among 6 (I think) players.

Baseball was also reported to have more endowed schollies than before their magical season. Recruiting appears to be pretty good there too. For some reason I think baseball gives in the neighborhood of 7 full rides split many ways. The NCAA max is 11.7 divided among up to 28 players.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:38 pm

I think your figures are likely pretty close.

The loss of NCAA tournament funds is going to affect budgets. While funds designated for scholarships can’t be redirected, the scholarships that come out of operating funds rather than endowments have to be impacted.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ