Golf Gets Fully Endowed

A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
Joneohcat83

Golf Gets Fully Endowed

Post by Joneohcat83 » Mon May 06, 2019 5:27 pm

No, Graveline

https://www.davidson.edu/news/2019/05/0 ... imN5r7VGpE
Plus some love for Cora Nelson
"You don’t trick a team that has this level of experience and continuity. It’s just not going to happen." St. Joseph's Hawks coach Billy Lange

wildforthecats

Re: Golf Gets Fully Endowed

Post by wildforthecats » Mon May 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Just saw this on Twitter. Great news!

MrMac

Post by MrMac » Mon May 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Fantastic gift. 😁

i77cat

Post by i77cat » Mon May 06, 2019 11:15 pm

Awesome.
"Here’s what is the elephant in the room. Travis had a bag before. Now everyone has a bag. The Travis Ford recruiting prowess was greatly exaggerated."---SLU fan explaining how NIL took away Ford's recruiting edge

dorp

Post by dorp » Wed May 08, 2019 8:22 am

Steve's comments at event emphasized how a few notes from the players made a big difference in maintaining the personal connection between the alums and the golf program.

GoalCat

Post by GoalCat » Wed May 08, 2019 11:41 am

Exciting stuff, especially given the high level of performance already achieved by the golf team! I'm guessing/remembering that the figure for "fully endowed" scholarships is about 5%, so that this generous gift of $2.7M yields just about exactly 2.0 endowed scholarships. My quick chec suggests that golf is allowed a maximum 4.5 scholarships, so this would suggest that we had about 2.5 endowed scholarships, previously. Does this all sound reasonably accurate?

Last question ... how does the addition of 2.0 scholarships for men's athletes affect what we may or may not need to match for women's athletes, if anything? Thanks.

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed May 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Wofford consistently awards twice as much financial aid to men as to women. If it takes a year or two for Davidson to raise an equivalent amount for women's athletics, so be it.

Davidson should mount a campaign aimed at the school's first women graduates, who are nearing retirement age, to endow scholarships for women student athletes to more than offset these golf scholarships.

We should let it be known around Hollywood we need some walk on Field Hockey players whose parents are willing to help endow some scholarships. The parents can donate $500,000 and the kid can receive a $25,000 scholarship a year. Get Julianne Moore to spread the word.

DC69Wildcat

Post by DC69Wildcat » Fri May 10, 2019 1:48 am

GoalCat wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:41 am
Last question ... how does the addition of 2.0 scholarships for men's athletes affect what we may or may not need to match for women's athletes, if anything? Thanks.
I asked this question of Annie Porges after the baseball team received its scholarship endowment last year. She said that Title 9 requires the college to commit roughly the same amount of its operating funds to both men's and women's programs, but that revenue from dedicated endowments is not counted in operating funds, therefore it does not have to be matched. Or something like that. Jump in here, collegecoach.
"We were in the center ring the whole night,'' longtime Davidson coach Bob McKillop said. ''We were not on the ropes. We were not on the mat. We were in the center ring slugging away, and we just ran out of time.''

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Fri May 10, 2019 8:55 am

That certainly sounds like incentive to raise money for scholarship endowment (says the guy who recently mailed his annual baseball contribution that will go to operations this year rather than to the Will DuBose scholarship fund).
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

collegecoach8502

Post by collegecoach8502 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:38 am

DC69Wildcat wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:48 am
GoalCat wrote:
I asked this question of Annie Porges after the baseball team received its scholarship endowment last year. She said that Title 9 requires the college to commit roughly the same amount of its operating funds to both men's and women's programs, but that revenue from dedicated endowments is not counted in operating funds, therefore it does not have to be matched. Or something like that. Jump in here, collegecoach.
Not true
"He is a 6-foot-3, sweet smiling, fun loving boogeyman who will decimate entire teams, then sign autographs and take pictures with his fallen foes' children.

He is a question with no answers."

catnhat

Post by catnhat » Sat May 11, 2019 12:10 pm

How about not correct?

I took a Sports Law class with a professor who was UT's faculty rep to the NCAA for years. Stan may know her- Marilyn Yarborough. Title IX is about equal opportunities. There were several ways to comply. One of them was to demonstrate movement toward equal opportunities. For example if a school gave twice as many athletic scholarships to men while having a 50-50 student body they could be okay without giving equal scholarships so long as they can show they are moving toward equal schollies. I took this course 23 years ago so it's slightly possible that there have been some developments in the interim.

Chedda Blanco

Post by Chedda Blanco » Mon May 20, 2019 8:22 am

GoalCat wrote:
Exciting stuff, especially given the high level of performance already achieved by the golf team! I'm guessing/remembering that the figure for "fully endowed" scholarships is about 5%, so that this generous gift of $2.7M yields just about exactly 2.0 endowed scholarships. My quick chec suggests that golf is allowed a maximum 4.5 scholarships, so this would suggest that we had about 2.5 endowed scholarships, previously. Does this all sound reasonably accurate?
Little late here but yes, more or less all correct above.
I feel the pressure, under more scrutiny.
And what I do? Act more stupidly