Athletic Department Revenue and Expenses

A place to discuss topics which impact all of Davidson's sports
BDL

Athletic Department Revenue and Expenses

Post by BDL » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:08 pm

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details

Very interesting data.
Note: You have to search Davidson College.

citycat

Re: Athletic Department Revenue and Expenses

Post by citycat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:36 pm

Due to a continuing deficit in the school's budget, East Carolina University has implemented a hiring freeze. If you check the ECU page on the link in this thread, ECU spends $43,689,000 on collegiate athletics.

If the school cannot generate more revenue from athletics, that is a department that could be facing some cuts.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:51 pm

I hadn't realized the George Mason was far and away the largest school in the conference.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

citycat

Post by citycat » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:11 am

Massachusetts has a few more undergrads than George Mason, which is a little bigger than VCU. 21K for UMass and around 20K for GMU and VCU.

stevelee

Post by stevelee » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:07 am

citycat wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:11 am
Massachusetts has a few more undergrads than George Mason, which is a little bigger than VCU. 21K for UMass and around 20K for GMU and VCU.
Oops. I didn’t see page 2. I should have thought of UMass anyway. University of Maine is listed. I assume they play in some sport, like our wrestling in the SoCon.
Μεγάλη ἡμέρα εἶναι Λύγξ

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:29 pm

ECU starting having trouble when three things happened pretty much at the same time - all personnel issues. Their long-time and highly respected chancellor retired. Terry Holland, who worked with Chancellor Ballard like hand-in-glove retired. And their lead fund raiser, who I know very well, also retired.

Now, the new AD was nothing more than a charming used-car salesman who couldn't count. The new chancellor (since fired) was pretty much an arrogant dimwit with no ties to North Carolina, much less eastern North Carolina. Also pretty right-wing, which went over at ECU like a turd in a punch bowl. No idea who replaced the fundraiser.

The AD that replaced Terry(since fired as well) is the idiot that fired Ruffin McNeil. That firing sped up the downward spiral, as it deeply offended and antagonized much of the ECU fan and alum base. Ticket sales dropped like a stone. The football team became a dumpster fire. And so on.

The new chancellor (the one since fired) basically poured gas on the blaze as he had absolutely no idea what he was doing and didn't have the people skills necessary to deal with eastern North Carolinians. Who basically ran him out on a rail.

Their problems shows that leadership does matter.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

Rudy2011

Post by Rudy2011 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:57 pm

After that primer, I would read a 150-page book about the fall of the ECU athletic department
Carthago delenda est

I say we drink the wine, eat the dogs, and use the papers for musket wadding.

jamesdhogan

Post by jamesdhogan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Bill Cobb wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:29 pm
ECU starting having trouble when three things happened pretty much at the same time - all personnel issues. Their long-time and highly respected chancellor retired. Terry Holland, who worked with Chancellor Ballard like hand-in-glove retired. And their lead fund raiser, who I know very well, also retired.

Now, the new AD was nothing more than a charming used-car salesman who couldn't count. The new chancellor (since fired) was pretty much an arrogant dimwit with no ties to North Carolina, much less eastern North Carolina. Also pretty right-wing, which went over at ECU like a turd in a punch bowl. No idea who replaced the fundraiser.

The AD that replaced Terry(since fired as well) is the idiot that fired Ruffin McNeil. That firing sped up the downward spiral, as it deeply offended and antagonized much of the ECU fan and alum base. Ticket sales dropped like a stone. The football team became a dumpster fire. And so on.

The new chancellor (the one since fired) basically poured gas on the blaze as he had absolutely no idea what he was doing and didn't have the people skills necessary to deal with eastern North Carolinians. Who basically ran him out on a rail.

Their problems shows that leadership does matter.

I was interested to see Dan Gerlach, the chair of the Golden Leaf Foundation, has taken on the interim chancellor job at ECU. (Golden Leaf is the tobacco settlement money that drops pretty hefty grants around the state.) Gerlach has done a lot of good work for public ed around the state and, having sat at the helm of a foundation that's given away more than half a billion dollars, has made a lot of friends. He's reportedly on the job for at least two years and is open to taking the gig full-time.
The artist formerly known as Freehold.

Bill Cobb
Site Admin

Post by Bill Cobb » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:03 am

This crap happens when you have General Assembly melon heads selecting non-qualified folks for the BOT and the BOG.
"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."
Crash Davis

slowcat95

Post by slowcat95 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:32 am

Bill Cobb wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:03 am
This crap happens when you have General Assembly melon heads selecting non-qualified folks for the BOT and the BOG.
AMEN.
she/hers